Author Topic: DR. MABUSE  (Read 3724 times)

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
DR. MABUSE
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »
Video from the DR. MABUSE premiere is on my facebook page. longer version with complete q/a will soon be on dvd. send email if interested. im no longer posting links or videos or photos here because it never works and the copy/paste feature is disabled. jayteevideo@yahoo.com

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: DR. MABUSE
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:09:19 PM »
Thanks, Joe, I just sent you a message & a Friend Request on F-b-k.  My handle there is "Shimmer Leaf."

Hope to be able to see the video.  I had hoped to see fan reviews of the weekend but perhaps nobody who posts here besides yourself attended?

Best, Gothick

David

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »
The film is awesome! What Ansel Faraj achieved with such limited resources is extraordinary!

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:39:52 PM »
Ditto. I will accept request on fb

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 03:49:57 AM »
I saw the film!  It was rather different than what I was expecting.  Although my feelings about it are mixed, I will say that our DS actors were magnificent.  Jerry Lacy is particularly superb as the titular Dr. Mabuse: part-Moriarty, part-Svengali, this criminal mastermind holds the unnamed metropolis in a grip of fear.  (Per Faraj, the film takes place “in the world of the Universal Monsters.” It’s not England or Germany, or America.  It’s a noir fantasy world).  Lacy’s line delivery is appropriately threatening, and he’s made up to look very severe and sinister.  Some of Lara Parker’s best acting on DS was silent, and so I was pleasantly surprised to find that her role is largely silent.  Traumatized by a previous encounter with Mabuse years before, Mme. Carrozza communicates via facial expression, Tarot cards, and her signature laugh.  KLS plays her sister, the elegant and intense Mme. Von Harbau.

Mabuse’s adversaries are City General Oscar Lang and Inspector Carl Lohemann, a brilliant young detective whose mentor, Norbert Von Wenk, died in pursuit of Mabuse.   Surrounded by whispers of a conspiracy and rumors that Mabuse has resurfaced after a lengthy unexplained absence, Lang directs Lohemann to investigate Mabuse’s return.  He picks up with Von Wenk’s leads, among whom are psychic sisters Madame Carrozza (Parker) and Madame Von Harbau (Scott).  Soon, he finds himself trying to unravel a kidnapping and a plot to develop weapons of mass destruction.  Lohemann is alternately aided and side-tracked by femme fatale Christina Novello, a self-procalimed “pawn of Dr. Mabuse’s” who may yet hold the key to his overthrow.

Although it is overwhelmingly a crime film, Dr. Mabuse also contains supernatural overtones, particularly in its ending.

I had anticipated a polished, theatrical release.  Instead, DM is more akin to a student film.  Within the first few minutes, I felt distracted by how bright and artificial the colors and backgrounds looked (flashbacks are shot in B&W and I wish the entire movie had been so).  Also, the picture and sound quality were not the best, which further impacted my enjoyment of the film. Once I resigned myself to the production values though, I was able to better appreciate the story elements and the artsy presentation.  Indeed, the otherworldliness of the picture contributed to the eerie tone of the film.  It was rather like a David Lynch film.  I applaud the moody, Hitchcockian musical score for enhancing the suspense.

As we later learned during the Q & A, the director basically shot the film in his basement with his digital camera and inserted the backgrounds with a computer in the final cut.  Knowing limited his resources were drastically increased my appreciation for the movie.  Though I still wouldn’t put it in same caliber as a Spencer Production.

I found the movie hard to follow in places and could not tell who certain characters (Mme. Hecate,  Lady Levana) were supposed to be.  Evidently, Faraj plans to reveal more of the tale in his sequel, which begins shooting in June.  I truly feel that his production could have been helped if he’d done a better job of casting certain supporting roles.  Derek Mobraaten is sadly unconvincing as Mabuse’s right-hand henchman. The weakest link, IMO, was Bahia Garrigan, who seemed more like a self-conscious, play-acting child than an alluring and dangerous woman.

While Dr. Mabuse was certainly entertaining, I came away from it feeling a bit let down.  Nevertheless, it was great fun to see our actors on the big screen, with lines, working together once again in an ambitious labor of love.

ProfStokes

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 04:43:49 AM »
Thanks for that review, Prof. Stokes.  I would like to see the film but it sounds as if it may go direct to DVD after a couple of special showings such as the one you attended.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:44:35 AM »
im no longer posting links or videos or photos here because it never works and the copy/paste feature is disabled.

Only right click is disabled, which is not uncommon, not Copy/Cut and Paste.  The most recent explanation of using these features:
On DS Forums and any sites with disabled right-clicking, you need to use keyboard shortcuts for Windows:

Cut  Ctrl+X
Copy  Ctrl+C
Paste  Ctrl+V

Am not aware of any problem with posting attachments or images.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:23:47 AM »
ok that being the case, here is the link to the youtube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RBF9spVD9g

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 02:24:51 PM »
It worked! Thanx for posting the link, Joe.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »
Intriguing footage.  It seems that another film project involving Chris Pennock is afoot. I think this may have been announced, but if so, I have forgotten the details.  My short term memory grows ever more sieve-like with each passing day.

The scenes of Lara and KLS working their tables and signing, etc. were all very familiar, and I saw several familiar faces in the group.  The event looked and sounded to have been well attended.

I don't know if it is appropriate to mention it here, but I have heard that there is talk of Pierson giving the Summer Tarrytown event the official "DS Festival" imprimatur.  Hopefully if that is the case, it will be clarified in a Shadowgram announcement.

Best,  G.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »
Chris is set to be in dr. mabuse part 2.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 06:13:20 PM »
Oh, dear god.  No wonder he seemed to have such a "what the hell" attitude about it all...

thanks!

Steve

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 05:58:18 PM »
The movie will screen in LA at midnight at the 'vintage' Los Feliz 3 Cinemas* on May 3, 4, 10 & 11.

Official movie site (with trailer)

*1822 N. Vermont Ave., about a half mile from the Vista Theatre
Tickets available at Box Office:  (323) 664-2169

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
I'm confused; ProfStokes gave an in-depth review of DM.
When is to be released? How 'likely' that my local podunk movie theatre will run it?
Should I just wait for the release on DVD?
I think I'll go over to Amazon & pre-order it.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »
Well, after using the Advanced Search features of this board, I was able to find it.
It seems as if the Los Angeles premier was last night; did anyone from So.Cal. attend?
I can't seem to find it on Amazon.
BTW, for anyone searching, the BIGGEST blunder I was committing was typing in "Dr. Mabuse" instead of DOCTOR Mabuse.

Patti
What a Woman!