Author Topic: Yo' Mama!  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Yo' Mama!
« on: July 21, 2003, 04:25:01 PM »
In walks Quentin:
MAGGIE, WHO WERE YOU TALKING TO?"

If my old man walked in & yelled at me like that, I would've thrown a shoe at him.

I woulda said, "Yo Mama".

Now, I was 25 once upon a time; I understand Maggie's wanting to 'fit in', but I don't buy that she didn't spit at Quentin when he barked at her >:(

Another scene....Yaeger is pawing through what appears to be Maggie's undergarments
[size=8]ICK!!![/size] What a repulsive thought!!

How many 'real' women in 1970 were wearing hair attachments?

Yes, Angelexis & Maggie are beautiful, but the hair is really bugging me!

Have a good day all,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Yo' Mama!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 05:16:26 PM »
Pawing through her undergarments is pretty tame for John Yeager, isn't it?  Where's the episode where he tries them on?  ???
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 09:30:38 PM »
I know I love Quentin, but hell he needs a good smack.

Yo' Mama! would be tame if my hubby pulled that.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 09:37:14 PM »
Pawing through her undergarments is pretty tame for John Yeager, isn't it?  Where's the episode where he tries them on?  ???

Raineypark,

Actually, I think Mr. Yaegar donned those particular "garments" a few years later while he was doing a guest shot on "Bosom Buddies" with Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari.

Bob the Bartender, who wonders if the always stylsh John Yaegar (Yeagar?) wears boxers or briefs (in cool black, no doubt!) under those snazzy suits of his?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 10:10:34 PM »
What the heck is the matter with that girl?  When she hear Angelexis' voice coming from the portrait, encouraging her to take a walk out the window, she should've just pulled it off the wall, say:  "You're the one who's gonna fly the friendly skies, b*tch; fasten your seat belt - you're about to have a bumpy landing!" and tossed it out the window.  Or at least gotten a magic marker and drawn a mustache and some glasses on it.  As for what she should've done to Quentin, well, I won't even go there.  Suffice to say, he would've needed to wear dark sunglasses for about a week.

As for Mr. Yeager and Maggie's apparel, I picture him all alone in his laboratory, getting his kinks, leaning his head back, his eyes closed, licking his lips, saying:  "Oh, Maggie," while he's wearing the costume gown she had on at the party.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 10:35:21 PM »
I know that the time period in which this was produced was very early days in the Women's Movement.....but didn't it ever occur to the women who worked on the show during this story to have a conversation with Mr. Curtis about the appallingly vapid/stupid/timid female characters they were being asked to play?  They made up enough of the cast....it's not like there were just 2 of them and 46 male cast and crew members.

I don't know much, if anything, about the behind-the-scenes goings-on.....but I'd be interested to know if there was anyone among the women who complained....and what happened when she did.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 10:45:06 PM »
I've wondered this as well, R. P.  Even by Dark Shadows' standards, the Maggie kidnapping scenario seems really degrading for the character and the actress.

Earlier today I was in a video store and I saw a tape of what I've always heard is a brilliant reversal of this type of story; the early 70s Sandy Dennis showpiece, That cold day in the park.  I should screen that one of these days.  I think D. C. was probably thinking of the Terence Stamp/Samantha Eggar film, the Collector, when he cooked up the Yeagar/Maggie episode.

Gothick

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2003, 02:02:37 AM »
Rainey...that's too funny...with my original post, I was going to mention 'the women's movement'...hey, this was 1970.

Does anyone (Darren/Luciaphil/others) know if there were fans/haters of show who wrote to TPTB about the way Maggie specifically was being demeaned?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2003, 02:16:38 AM »
Patti, I wasn't born at the time so no clue  8)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2003, 03:10:00 AM »
Hmmmm......that makes me old enough to be your Mother.......so watch it with the 'age' comments, Missy.  ;)
Dylan Thomas

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2003, 03:24:37 AM »
If I remember correctly I don't think women were taken seriously even in 1970.  I remember people scoffing at the Women's Movement, focusing particularly on the women burning their bras.  I don't know if the fans wrote to TPTB.  I have a feeling Dan Curtis wouldn't care anyway.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2003, 07:52:03 AM »
In walks Quentin:

That one really got me, too.  I know that Quentin has been flying off the handle over just about everything these days, but out of nowhere, to come in and find his wife on the phone, he doesn't just ask out of curiosity who she was talking to, but furiously demands it!!  Really!!!
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2003, 08:33:33 AM »
In walks Quentin:

If my old man walked in & yelled at me like that, I would've thrown a shoe at him.

LOL!  I would have thrown more than a shoe at him that's for sure!  What the heck did he marry her for??  I haven't seen one day yet that the two of them have actually been happy together since they've returned to Collinwood together as man & wife.  If he still had such strong feelings for Angelique then why would he marry Maggie so quickly after her death? (6 months isn't long)

I would have loved to have seen how the marriage had been between Angelique & Quentin before she supposidly died.  Considering all the men friends she had chasing after her I somehow find it hard to believe that these two were really that happy.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2003, 09:51:51 AM »
Does anyone (Darren/Luciaphil/others) know if there were fans/haters of show who wrote to TPTB about the way Maggie specifically was being demeaned?

Don't know about letters the show may have received, but there weren't any complaint letters published in any of the daytime/teen magazines.

It might be hard to understand nowadays, but depicting female characters the way Maggie is written in 1970PT was far more prevalent than might be suspected - particularly on daytime. While women probably wouldn't have behaved that way in real life (or tolerated the sort of behavior Quentin exhibits from their real life husbands), most viewers wouldn't have actually found Maggie and Quentin's relationship all that much of a departure from what they were watching on many other soaps at the time.

Another thing that should probably be mentioned is that at this point in daytime TV, one of the prevailing notions was that characters/storylines had to be larger than life, filled with more tragedy, more heartache, more disaster than anyone in real life could ever possibly experience. That way viewers would supposedly come away with the feeling that no matter how bad their own lives might have seemed to them, their problems were tame in comparison to the tribulations their favorite daytime characters were expereincing. You see this stated time and time again in all sorts of daytime articles from the period. Almost more than any other medium, the vast majority of daytime soaps were considered as completely escapist fare that was in no way related to real life.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2003, 03:50:42 PM »
LOL!  I would have thrown more than a shoe at him that's for sure!  What the heck did he marry her for??  I haven't seen one day yet that the two of them have actually been happy together since they've returned to Collinwood together as man & wife.  If he still had such strong feelings for Angelique then why would he marry Maggie so quickly after her death? (6 months isn't long)

I would have loved to have seen how the marriage had been between Angelique & Quentin before she supposidly died.  Considering all the men friends she had chasing after her I somehow find it hard to believe that these two were really that happy.

Cassandra,

How Maggie can stay with her Neanderthal of a husband, Quentin, is beyond me.  But, then again, we've all seen similar, mystifying marriages, that should have ended years ago:

Why does Mary Matalin stay with Chester James Carville (a/k/a/ "Serpent Head," Ms. Matalin's own nickname for her exceedingly "expressive" husband)?

Why does Hillary stay with Bill?  (I guess you have to shell out $30.00 to find out the reasoning behind that "riddle of the ages" in Sen. Clinton's new book.)

Why does Kathie Lee stay with Frank Gifford?  (I'm reminded of the old saying: "Cheat me once, shame on you.  Cheat me twice, shame on me!)

And, why did Mary Jo stay so long with Joey Buttafucco?  (As one lady in Geraldo Rivera's TV audience once said to Mary Jo, right in front of Joey, "If it walks like a duck, and if it talks like a duck, it's a duck!")  And, I think that lady was alluding to a particularly "foul" (and not fowl) duck!

Bob the Bartender, who, enjoys watching "Divorce Court" immediately after watching "The Newleywed Game."