Author Topic: #1030/1031: Robservations 07/22/03: Papa's Revelation  (Read 1208 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1030/1031: Robservations 07/22/03: Papa's Revelation
« on: July 21, 2003, 10:17:47 AM »
1030 - Maggie walks around her dank prison, touching her clothing.  She sits on the bed, then stands and spots the shell Daniel just gave her. She hugs it close. "Daniel!" she moans. Yaeger enters bearing a tray with wine, food, a glass and silverware on it. You should have changed clothes, he says, you're all wet--"My dear."  When he drops a fork, Maggie takes the opportunity to make a run for the door.  Yaeger grabs her, calling her an unwilling guest. He orders her back in, then locks himself in with her. I've brought you some supper, he says--curry, I know how fond you are of it. Do you know everything about me? she asks.  He opens the bottle and says, i took the trouble to learn. You've stolen my things, she accuses.  I didn't steal them, says Yaeger, that's the wrong word--I brought them over. How long have you planned this? she asks. Ever since I met you, he says, taking a drink of what I assume is champagne. It's a bit dry, he complains, but quite presentable--I thought I'd make your change here less traumatic, he adds.  Thunder rolls outside. He pours himself more and says, a few of your own things always add a bit of security. You've got to let me go, she wails. I will, he says, at the proper time. When? she asks. When you and I walk out that door together, he says, when I know you won't escape from me. That day will never come, she vows. I seem to be more confident in my charms than you are, he says--you're going to love me, I promise you that!  You're mad! she accuses. No, in love, he corrects--Maggie, I'm not going to force myself upon you. You have! she cries. Time will change you, he says confidently, time and this room--let's be civilized and sensible, he suggests--let's have some supper. NO! she says. This angers him--Do as you're told! he demands.  They'll be looking for me! she warns. You left the house of your own accord, he reminds her, after a fight with your husband. How do you know that? she asks. I know everything that goes on at Collinwood, he says. Somebody at that house has been telling you, she says.  I'm not a man who needs any help, he assures her. He sets up the chairs around the table and says, we should have some dinner. She pleads with him--let me go--open the door and let me out--you won't get away with this--Cyrus...I was supposed to meet him--he won't find me at Widows' Hill and will go to Collinwood... That's a sad fantasy, says Yaeger--Cyrus isn't going to Collinwood. Why? she asks, you've killed him--he was my friend!  He stood in my way, says Yaeger in a dangerous voice, I had patience with Cyrus, just as I have with you, but when patience wears thin, I'm not responsible for my actions!--yes, I killed Cyrus! You're mad! sobs Maggie--I don't believe he's dead! You won't miss Cyrus as much as you think, he says--he and I have a lot in common-- Cyrus was very honest in his own way, as I am in mine--I'm not doing this to frighten you or make you cry, I'm trying to do this so you'll be realistic about why you're here, and why no one is going to come and find you. Maggie cries helplessly. No, she says, turning away from him. He tries to comfort her, but she pulls away, ordering him, get away from me!  You're going to regret that! he promises, pushing a chair out of the way and again locking her alone in the room. She leans against it in despair.

Collinwood drawing room - Liz asks Angelique, how could Quentin let Maggie run from the house in this storm?  Barnabas tried to stop her, says Ang. Why isn't Quentin out looking for her now? asks Liz. I know, it's very sad, says Ang, smirking out of Liz' sight--I can't understand why they're so unhappy. Can't you? asks Liz. No, says Ang--Maggie does love him so much, she told me that herself. But who does Quentin love? asks Liz--that's the question. Angelique has walked over to the window, where a flash of lightning illuminates Yaeger standing outside. Is he capable of loving anybody now? wonders Liz.  Yaeger and Angelique stare at each other; he gestures her to come out and join him. No use my expecting an answer from you, says Liz, you didn't know Quentin when Angelique was alive. Angelique suddenly tells "Mrs. Collins" (isn't she Stoddard?) I want to go find Maggie, who must be close by--I really want to go. I will go get Roger, volunteers Liz, you shouldn't be out there alone. No, insists Angelique, I trust my instincts, and that will take too long. She goes. I'll find Quentin and talk sense to him, decides Liz--time he stopped acting so immaturely--he'll be out looking for Maggie herself if I have anything to do with it. She heads upstairs.

Gazebo - The two plotters talk. Yaeger complains, Maggie will never love me, it was a mistake, I don't know why I thought I could pull it off--you should see Maggie's eyes when I come near her.  You knew she'd look at you like that! she reminds him, you told me yourself tonight would be very difficult. She has more spirit than I thought she had, he says morosely. And you have less than I thought you had! she sneers--yes, you knew it would be hard, take patience and time.  A lot more than that, says Yaeger. Yes, you're right, it will, she agrees, every tie she has with Collinwood must be broken--she must be made to feel completely alone--that she has no life to go back to at all, because that life doesn't exist anymore
--do you understand? He shakes his head.  You must rob her of all her defenses, she insists, and when she is completely vulnerable, she'll turn to you--because you will be all she has--don't you see?--now this is what you have to do...

Maggie examines her prison for an escape route--there must be a way. . .no windows, if only I knew where I was--where? Where? He left the house, I'm sure of that, this is my chance. She tries the door desperately, but it's locked. What can I do? WHAT?

Yaeger returns to Maggie. He finds her on the bed--are you resting? he asks--is it comfortable enough for you? He closes the door behind him. You've got to let me go! she insists. Oh, Maggie, he says, there are so many things I want to do for you--but unfortunately, you keep asking me the one thing I cannot--there's something I want you to do, he says, putting down paper and pen on the table. I won't do anything! she says. Why won't you wait and hear what it is before you say no? he asks--sit down. When she doesn't, Yaeger shows her the business end of his cane--the sword. She cries out. I think you will, he threatens--NOW SIT DOWN! She sits, staring at the blade. I'm most concerned about your husband, he says--I think a note would be a great comfort to him--you don't want him to worry, do you?--he's such an emotional man!  I won't do it, she says. You don't want to give Quentin peace of mind? he asks.  You can kill me now, she says, but I won't write to him!  I won't kill you, he says, not you, but if you don't write what I say, I'm walking out this door, walking to Collinwood, where your husband's about going to bed, and if he isn't, I'll sit there and wait for him, and you know, Maggie, there's a theory that one knows when a loved one dies--will you feel the pain when this enters his body? He aims the sword directly in front of her. "Will you?" he asks again. No, she sobs. Pick up the pen, Maggie! he demands.  She does. Write, he says--not darling Quentin or dear Quentin, just Quentin, and don't cheat the handwriting--good, now what should we say, something properly incoherent
--"Tonight was the end, I think." No! says Maggie. That's good, I like that, Yaeger praises himself, and continues--it has the proper finality. No! she cries. Do you want me to go to Collinwood--Maggie?--write!--"Don't try to find me, I don't want to see you, ever!" Why do you want me to do this? sobs Maggie. Because I'm forecasting the future, he says, write those words, because every one of them are gong to come true. She looks at him, horrified.

Liz, on the phone with Jennifer, says, I'm sure Maggie will contact you, so please let me know when she does. After hanging up, Liz tells Roger, her sister in New York hasn't heard from her.  Don't read tragedy into that, advises Roger. I'm worried about her, says Liz. Why are you concerning yourself so? asks Roger--the girl was totally out of place here.  You always were unfair to her, says Liz--how can you be so callous?--when she ran out of here, she had no purse, no money...where can she have gone?--she has no other relatives or friends in the village. Quentin should be the concerned one, sniffs Roger, not you. Quentin is terribly concerned, insists Liz. Only he won't admit it, says Roger--really, dear sister, you see exactly what you want to see--what Quentin wants now is to forget he ever met her, so please stop this crusade about trying to get her back into the house, let the house settle down to normal. Angelique comes downstairs and gets the big chill--oh, no, it's starting again, she realizes--I'm so cold, so cold!--I must find someone, I must. Her teeth chatter. Roger is blathering on, telling Liz--unless you keep bringing up Maggie's name, within a month, everyone will have forgotten her. Liz, annoyed, says, the only ones who will forget her are those who didn't acknowledge Maggie when she was here. She turns to walk out.  Angelique comes in--is there any news? she asks. None, answers Liz, and leaves. Angelique, shivering, tells Roger, I went looking for Maggie, thinking she'd be in the gazebo. . .you're not interested, are you? She runs to warm herself by the fire. I'd be lying if I said I were, replies Roger--how extraordinary--you're standing there just as Angelique did. She walks away from the fireplace.  You didn't have to move, Roger assures her. I don't like to think about my sister, she says. I think of nothing else but, he says. I feel so guilty about her, says Angelique--when I came here, I was determined to find out who the murderer was, but now I (she sobs, covers her forehead with her hand) haven't done anything at all--I don't even know why someone would want to murder her. Alexis, croons Roger. I just keep hoping I'll find something, some clue, she says. I think my own life ended the night she died, he says, I hate thinking about that night or the days that came afterward. She puts her hands on his shoulders, almost a caress.  He shivers violently. What is it, Roger? she asks. I got a terrible chill, he replies, but it's gone. I feel it too, she says, a cold--hold me, Roger, she says, leaning against him, hold me. You know, somehow, he says, since you've been back, it's as it was before, looking into your eyes is like looking into hers. "Kiss me," she bids. "Kiss me--please, I'm cold, so cold!" She stares at him hungrily.

"Alexis," Roger murmurs.  I'm so frightened, and I don't know why, help me, please, she says, and draws his face to hers for a kiss.
Liz interrupts--"Alexis!" she says disapprovingly.  Excuse me, says Angelique, and runs out, her arms around her quivering body. Liz gives her brother an angry look.  I feel so very cold, he complains, as thought I'd touched death.

We see a clock, and a colorful zodiac poster on a wall. Angelique has run to her stepfather (who apparently now lives in Hannah's cottage) and tells him everything. I had no idea, he says, sipping a drink. Well, now you know, she says--somewhere out there, someone is finding a body of a man I never even saw before, a man I only met tonight, and his body is so cold, it's as though he's been dead for days--I won't take it any longer--I never know when it's going to happen, and when it does, I must touch someone and take their warmth, or go back to that tomb--you are   responsible for bringing me back--surely there's something you can do about this--there must be, with all the secrets you know...  What I did to bring you back, that's all I can do, he says regretfully, drinking. What exactly did you do? she asks. There's no reason for you to know, he says. There IS! she insists. No! he says. Maybe if you can't help me, I can help myself, she suggests, but you've got to tell me exactly what you did! He thinks this over, but is silent. Why won't you tell me? she demands. Because I am a scientist, he says, you are not. But I'll understand! she says. No, he says, I am far beyond your level of thinking, I'm a most unusual man, the first modern scientist to use the black arts. Yes, she agrees, you're the greatest scientist in the world!  Flattery worked when you were alive, he says, but that was before I did this--you're only an element mixed with another element. WHAT DID YOU DO? she cries. I went back to an experiment I started long ago, one that terrified me, he says, but when I saw you lying dead before me I had a reason to finish it--I was ruthless. How, Father, now? she asks. Don't ask me, he begs. Please, she cries, share it with me, please! I cannot do it alone, he says, that is all I will say. If there was someone else, then perhaps this person knows how to stop this terrible cold, she suggests--yes, take me to whomever it is. Are you sure you want to know? he asks. Yes, she assures him. Do you realize what we've done?--revenge can still come, he warns.
I'll take that chance, says Angelique--take me to this person! He considers it, then points to a green curtain--there, he says, but as she goes eagerly to open it, he says, "Angelique, I did it for you." So, she says, at last I'm to meet the person responsible, who has given me another chance to win Quentin back--come with me, Father. No, he says, looking almost dead himself, you must go alone. Oh, yes, she says, yes, I must. She pulls open the curtain and reaches for the doorknob...

NOTES: Interesting development, Papa Stokes did something so heinous, he actually thinks his murdering daughter will fault him for it--"I did it for you." He really creeped me out here. What could he have done?

You've got to feel sorry for Maggie now, clueless though she might be, except for Elizabeth and Barnabas, she seemingly has no one to care where the hell she is. And with Yaeger forcing her to write a letter closing off her slim tie to her husband, perhaps Angelique's scheme will work after all. Could Maggie come to love Yaeger? I guess we'll find out. Great acting from KLS and Pennock. I think he loves her about as much as he could truly love anyone, or he'd have taken what he's wanted from her by now. Icky! That dungeon he has her locked up in is horrible. She might go mad before she falls in love with Yaeger. I know I would

Roger is so cold, I'm surprised Angelique went to him for her saving warmth. The man is so nasty to Maggie, and only because of his disgusting feelings for Angelique. Listen to what he says very carefully, my friends. I won't say more.

Angelique did her killing off-camera this time, but wasn't it something, thinking she might kill off a main character? Did you get a chill of your own when she asked Roger to kiss her? I sure did!

1031 - Stokes follows his step-daughter into a room in which lies a sheet-draped body. One candle illuminates the scene. He lifts the sheet, revealing the woman's face.  Angelique, he says, the life force that flows through your body once belonged to her. Is she dead? asks Angelique. More alive than you, my dear, says Stokes, that's why she's constantly calling her life force back to her own body. And that's why I feel that terrible cold, says Angelique. I can think of no other reason, says Stokes. Must it be this way? she asks. I don't know how to change it, he admits--unless, of course... What? asks Ang.  If the body were destroyed, he says, then the life force would die and both of you with it. This horrifies his stepdaughter --why is she here? she asks-- someone could find her here! I've taken precautions, Stokes assures her. What kind of precautions? she demands. (and didn't Hannah have knowledge of it, given that she lived in this cottage?)  Haven't you learned enough secrets for one day? he asks. No I haven't, she insists. I know how you hate to be dependent on anyone but yourself, he says, but in this case, you'll have to trust me--after all, I granted your fondest wish, and gave you complete control over Quentin Collins--you owe your dear father a debt of gratitude--am I right? Yes of course, she agrees, but doesn't look like she means it. I was sure we'd be in absolute agreement, he says. Angelique looks totally pissed.

Collinwood, drawing room - Barnabas has just read the note Yaeger forced Maggie to write. Are you convinced now she left of her own free will? asks Quentin, taking back the note. No, insists Barnabas. Here's the letter, insists Quentin--she wrote it herself.  Isn't it possible, poses Barnabas, that someone could have forced her to write it? Why do you keep insisting, asks Quentin, irritated, despite there being no evidence, that Maggie was kidnapped?  Because, says Barnabas, I don't believe she wanted to leave you!  And who's the better judge of that, you or I? demands Quentin. Patiently, Barnabas says, I firmly believe something's happened to Maggie, and she might be in great danger. You keep saying that, but you don't have a reason for it, says Quentin. How did Maggie leave? asks Barn--is one of the cars missing? This letter, says Quentin, was mailed from Collinsport, so she must have got there, which means she did get there somehow, and she didn't walk, so she must have some way of getting there.
It's possible someone was taking her, but not to the place she wanted to go, says Barnabas. Why do you keep insisting that? demands Quentin--who would have done a thing like that to Maggie. Are you so sure she has no enemies? asks Barn. Who? asks Quentin, name one. Yes, who can it be? asks Angelique, entering the room. She and Barnabas exchange measured looks.  It might have been someone who has been tormenting and frightening her ever since she came back to Collinwood, suggests Barnabas.  I don't understand you, she says, tears in her voice, I know the way you're looking at me now--you think it's me, don't you?--I love Maggie, I have never tried to do anything except help her--I am the...oh, never mind, I'm sorry, you'll have to forgive me, I just don't know what else to say--she flees the room, crying. Quentin reminds Barnabas, you promised not to accuse Alexis of causing trouble between me and Maggie. I accused no one, points out Barnabas. Not directly, says Quentin, but you're implying it, and I'm asking you to stop it! He pours himself a drink.  Someone HAS been tormenting and frightening Maggie, says Barnabas--the voice from the portrait...  There was no voice! says Quentin. What makes you so certain? asks Barnabas. Because, says Quentin, Maggie claimed to have heard it another time, before she left here--I was there and I heard nothing. If someone has the power to communicate with her that way, says Barn, surely they have the power to communicate ONLY with her. I like you and want to be your friend, says Quentin, but I also want to be logical and reasonable about this, and maintain whatever shred of sanity I have left--this discussion is finished. He leaves the room.  Angelique enters, arms crossed--why didn't you tell him everything you know about me? she asks--is it because you knew he would believe you even less?  Where is Maggie? demands Barnabas. I haven't the faintest idea, she replies. Barnabas faces her and vows, I will find Maggie--and when I do, I'll have that much more proof, convince Quentin.  Mr. Collins, she says, I would advise you not to interfere. "You have my solemn promise that I will do more than interfere," he says, "I will not rest until I find that Maggie is safe, and that I have proof to destroy you once and for all."  He leaves her to think about that parting shot.

Angelique's face segues into that of her portrait. I don't know why you pay any attention to what Barnabas Collins said, says Hoffman--Maggie left of her own free will--of course I don't deny we encouraged her departure, but we didn't hurt her--it's not as if we have her hidden away somewhere. Angelique grins.  Why are you smiling? asks Hoffman.  No reason, the other woman replies. Back in RT, Julia opens the double doors and listens to the two women, one of whom it her exact double. You know where she is, don't you? ask Hoffman.  Yes, replies Angelique, I know where she is, and will tell you all about it later--but I'm concerned about Barnabas right now--he's the only one who can ruin all our plans, Barnabas Collins must be destroyed. "Destroyed?" cries RT Julia. "Barnabas, no! No!"

Julia listens as her PT counterpart says, "I know Barnabas Collins must be destroyed, but don't forget, he has some powers." Where do they come from? asks Angelique. I don't know, replies Hoffman, I've tried to find out. Try harder, orders Ang, he has some secret--what is it?
Barnabas, despairs Julia, why can't I get through?--I've got to help you, find you!  Her face is contorted with worry--and love.

I'm sorry for the late hour, Stokes tells Quentin, but I haven't visited Collinwood in such a long time--it's as magnificent as ever. I can't guarantee that Alexis will be happy to see you here, says Quentin--it's no secret you two never got along. She is my daughter, says Stokes, gazing around the room, and I thought it high time we saw each other again. Are you looking for anything in particular? asks Quentin.  No, just admiring everything, says Stokes--I can't tell you how much I enjoyed my visits to Collinwood, when Angelique was alive. I seem to remember your enjoyment, says Quentin coldly, with no trouble whatsoever. Angelique enters. "Well, hello, Father," she says icily. Alexis, my dear, he greets her. I'll leave you alone, says Quentin--I'm sure you have much to talk about after such a long time--if you'll excuse me--he leaves. And what was it you wanted to see me about? she asks coldly. Nothing in particular, he says, just wanted to renew my taste for living, Collinwood style.  So saying, he pours himself a nice big drink of fine booze. Angelique asks, do you really think that's necessary?  He turns and grins--there's no one listening, he says--you can stop pretending now. What makes you think I'm pretending? she asks.  You've always been very fond of me, he reminds her, we get along very well together. And we shall continue to do so? she asks. If I do as I did when you were married to Quentin--am I correct, if I stay away from Collinwood as I did before?  I do think that would be best, she says.  I don't. . .fit in here, am I right? he asks.  I didn't say that, she says, ashamed. It's difficult for the mistress of Collinwood to sustain her grand role with her rather seedy father hanging around, he points out.  I never said that either, she says. You didn't need to, he says--you made it perfectly clear; however, it's time for a change around here--I always admired Collinwood, always felt it suited me better than most people realized. He sips his drink. Father, exactly what are you talking about? she demands. In a little while, you'll be mistress here again, he says, but this time, you'll have complete control over Quentin--no reason why I shouldn't take advantage of my daughter's generosity. Oh, so that's the favor you were talking about earlier, she says. Yes, he nods. Why don't we put off my decision until I AM the mistress of Collinwood? she suggests. No harm in my getting used to it in the meantime, is there? he asks, grinning, and drinking. Furious, she reminds him, you and Alexis didn't get along--I want it to continue to look that way. He pours himself another drink and says, "We were just reconciled."  I don't want to cause suspicion, she insists. I like it here, he says, I intend to come here as often as I like. Do, she says, but I can't guarantee that you'll be welcome. (Ice practically dripping off her tongue with those words.)
I expect to be welcome, say Stokes--very welcome indeed. He drinks, adds more. She leaves. To himself, Stokes thinks, "Vain, impulsive child--couldn't bear not to have her own way--well, my dear, it's about time I began acting like a good father--and taught you a lesson or two!"  He smiles.

4:55 - Quentin comes downstairs. Barnabas enters.  I had hoped I'd get to see you again this evening, says Quentin--I have some information about Maggie that might interest you. She's come home? asks Barnabas eagerly. No, of course not, says Quentin, but I found out that she had planned all along to leave when she did. How? asks Barnabas. She sent some of her things ahead of her, says Quentin. Where to? asks Barn. Heaven only knows, says Quentin, but the fact is, her things are gone, she's the only one who could have taken them. Barnabas looks skeptical. I see that you don't accept that, says Quentin. I'm going to resume the search, says Barnabas, and starts to leave. "Barnabas, she is gone!" blares Quentin--"And she left of her own choice--and what's more, she was hypocritical about leaving---the other night, she pretended that someone had stolen some things from her room--it turns out that she's the one who took them." How can you be so sure? demands Barnabas, his voice ragged. Why do you insist on forgetting one thing? asks Quentin--you saw her leave, no one forced her to go, she left of her own free will. I would be willing to believe this, responds Barnabas, if I thought it had any sense, but it doesn't--I'm going to continue looking for her!  He exits. Quentin stomps into the drawing room, infuriated.

Stokes enters the room containing the woman providing Angelique's life force and says, "Now, we'll see who's in control." He stands before one of the candles and says, "At this moment, I unite my will with your will, my life force with your life force--together, let us gather strength and power; let us try to recall what is gone, let us try to summon up that force of being which is rightfully yours--the two of us together..."

Sitting by the fire in the drawing room, Angelique stands and asks Quentin, "You're going away? At this hour of the night?"  I have some business in Bangor, says Quentin--I thought he'd drive up tonight, it will do me some good, I'll be more rested in the morning. Going to Bangor, hmm--I wonder if you would...no, never mind, I can do it myself. What? he asks. Some shopping, she says, it would bore you very much--I'll do it some other time. Drive up with me, he suggests.  You wouldn't mind? she asks. Of course not, he says, it would probably do you some good, too, to get away from here for a day. Delighted, she says, you're so nice. Not at all, he says, can you be ready in an hour?  Easily, she assures him, and the night drive would jut be so...she nearly faints, and he supports her. "Are you cold?" he asks. I don't know, she says, no, cold?--no, I'm not cold--it's as though all the strength were being drained out of me. Her eyes widen. Oh, no, this can't happen! she cries, it can't happen! And her eyes close as she feels faintness overpowering her.

Weak, she mutters, so weak. She leans against Quentin, who helps her to sit down in a chair--I'll get a doctor, he volunteers. No, she says, it's going away. What was it? he asks. Just a passing thing, she says, it's much better. I'll get Hoffman to help you upstairs, he offers. No, I just need some air, she insists, some fresh air. He offers to come with her.  NO! she says--I realize how that sounds--I'm all right, I need to be by myself, I just need some air, that's all.  She exits the house.

Stokes smokes a ciggy and plays chess with himself, a glass of booze in hand. Angelique bursts in, demanding, "Why did you do it?" He moves a piece--you won, he says. You know exactly what I'm talking  about, she says shrilly--I felt all the life being drained from my body!  Did you, my dear? he asks calmly. If you were trying to prove something, she accuses, then you have proven it--and it will not happen again, do you understand? Are you trying to tell me what I can and cannot do? he asks, gazing at her calmly. Don't you realize you could have ruined our whole plan? she asks angrily. Nonsense, he says drunkenly, I just wanted to make certain things perfectly clear--did I?  She realizes what he means, and concedes: "You win." "Good," he says, "I've been a loser most of my life, what a joy it is to win." And he moves a chess piece across the board.

A letter addressed to Maggie sits on the foyer table. Quentin opens the kitchen entrance door and calls to Hoffman--there's a letter on the table I want mailed at once. He closes the door, picks up the letter, looks at it, thinking to himself, Maggie should be pleased to hear I have no intention of going after her or trying to contact her in any way--I'm sure it's what she wants, so why shouldn't I go along with it?  He places the letter, addressed to Maggie in NYC, back down on the table.

Barnabas enters Angelique's room and closes the doors behind him. He begins looking around, searching. Frustrated, he continues to look, prying open a locked drawer with a letter opener, taking out a small red book. "He says he knows a way to circumvent death," he reads in what is apparently a diary. "I wonder if I can believe him?" Circumvent death? says Barnabas aloud--who is HE?--I think I've discovered something--I might have found what I'm looking for, and this time I shall not be disturbed--I'll lock the door until I'm finished.  Abruptly, however, he finds himself back in RT.  Julia enters. "Barnabas! You're back, you're safe!" she cries. I can't be! he protests. But you are! she says--Barnabas, what's wrong? "I'm back in my own time," he says, dismayed, "and in that other time, Maggie's in terrible danger!--how can I help her, Julia, how?"
Julia tilts her head sadly, probably as disappointed in his reaction as some of the viewers must be.

NOTES: Not even a lousy hug for the woman who's been waiting and pining for you back in RT, huh, Barnabas, not even one little peck on the cheek? For shame! Of course, when he finally gets his wish to be returned to his own time, Barnabas' only thought it for PT Maggie. He knows he's her only champion, only hope, for rescue. What is he going to do? If he chooses to go back, how will he accomplish it? And will the ardent, long-suffering Julia fans murder him for his decision?

Quentin remains clueless as always, refusing to even consider Barnabas' concerns about his missing wife. True, the letter signed in Maggie's hand seems like hard evidence, but why can Barnabas accept the concept that she was forced to write it while her own husband can't?

Stokes is quite a bastard, isn't he? One can imagine him having carnal knowledge of his stepdaughter, Angelique, which perhaps explains Alexis' hatred of him--did he try to become intimate with her, too, and she rejected him? The Stokes family in this time band is sure kinky! That he would tease Angelique, bringing her to the brink of needing a warm body just to ensure he's welcome at Collinwood is somewhat extreme--but it worked beautifully. He can have what he wants now, free reign at Collinwood. His powers are stronger than his daughter's, and he holds her life--and death--in his grubby hands. His drunken speech about finally being a winner was wonderful acting on Thayer David's part, but then again, when was he ever off the mark in any of his characterizations? Superb work.

Who thinks Barnabas will seek an immediate return to PT to save Maggie, raise your hands?

Who enjoyed watching Angelique almost faint in Quentin's arms? Who hoped he'd take her to Bangor with him and toss her out of the car at 60 MPH? Who wishes she'd get rid of that awful paisley dress?

Love, Robin