Author Topic: OT/ Barnabas - one of VH1's 200 top Pop Icons?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
OT/ Barnabas - one of VH1's 200 top Pop Icons?
« on: July 20, 2003, 06:18:23 PM »
I saw that VH1 is going to air the top 200 Pop Icons this coming week.  Does anyone know if Barnabas is listed in this?  He certainly should be.  Anyone old enough to remember when the show originally aired can attest to the frenzy that he and the show had over the millions of kids who ran home from school everyday to watch, myself included.

Sometimes I wonder who puts these lists together.  Last week I was watching E! and their list of the 101 most shocking moments.  I was amazed that the Winona Ryder theft incident placed at 21 while the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper and Richie Valens placed at a less shocking 25.  Not only that but the news of the Beatles breakup and the death of James Dean placed at numbers 29 and 34 respectively.

Now, I wasn't even born when James Dean died or when those rock legends perished in that plane crash but I certainly recognize the impact of those events and how truly shocking they were at the time and the huge impact those events had for years to come.  How could those events place behind Winona Ryder stealing some items from Saks?  The only thing that makes sense to me is that those who made the decision on the rankings have yet to see their 25th birthday.

So, I won't be surprised if our favorite Vampire or even the show itself are excluded from this list VH1 has put together even though they rightfully belong in at least the top 25, in my opinion.  If it is excluded I believe I'll contact the show to inquire on how the list was put together.

I bring this up because I do not believe that Dark Shadows receives any of the respect it deserves.
I would really like to see this show remembered by the media for the impact the show had in it's time.  Unfortunately it doesn't look like this will happen anytime soon.

BTW,  sorry I haven't been posting very much lately but like everyone I'm sure, life happens.  I used to be up to date on the show and now because of work and other things I'm about six weeks behind.  The last episode I viewed this past weekend on the tapes I recorded is when Peter Bradford made his return to haunt Jeb during the Leviathan storyline.

Thanks,

Murph

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:OT/ Barnabas - one of VH1's 200 top Pop Icons?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 09:47:51 PM »
(((Murph))) we're glad you're here now!

(Except for a couple & I mean a couple of 'live' eps, my last ep I watched was 1897!!!!)

Patti

The Day, the Music, Died :'(
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 09:51:43 PM »
VH1's 200 Greatest Pop Culture Icons

well, that's the address list...and no, DS/Barn did not make the list (but if you read through it, it's pretty good)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 03:01:12 PM »
I checked it out at the market checkout.  They had a special people addition and was disappointed to see Frid was not included.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 05:04:15 PM »
These shows are just meant to be entertainment.  I find the whole notion of the 10, 25, 50 or 100 "best" books, thespians, novels, TV shows or songs intensely annoying.  I blame a twisted alliance of monotheism, mass marketing, and Oprahism for the strange notion that someone else's notion of taste should be imposed upon my own criteria of aesthetic excellence.

That said, I did think the cartoon they came up to promote this show was cute. I found it hilarious that Diane Ross was down front and center, arms raised as THE Supreme One!  I guess the artist was a Motown fan.

Gothick

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 05:25:00 PM »
Not too long ago TV Guide did a List of music events on TV.

They placed the first time Michael Jackson did his Moon Walk on some award show ahead of the first appearance of the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.  Please... ::)

I immediately threw the TV Guide in the garbage and got my TV listings from the local newspaper for the rest of the week.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 03:02:33 AM »
That whole show had me and my kids arguing about who was on that so called list and who was not.  Truthfully, I could only handle a couple of minutes of the show.  I found it annoying.  What were they basing the criteria on?

Steve, you are quite right  I have to admitt that I have enjoyed some of the l00 best movies, villiansl, etc,etc,etc,  Just so I can scream at the TV when I think they a wrong.  Of course, pat myself on the back when I agree.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

LorraineAAB

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2003, 02:41:26 AM »
That whole show had me and my kids arguing about who was on that so called list and who was not.  Truthfully, I could only handle a couple of minutes of the show.  I found it annoying.  What were they basing the criteria on?

One of the criteria was that the "icon" had been the butt of an SNL skit !!!  If that's the case, have they at least mentioned Anne Rice's Lestat, or at least Tom Cruise's over-the-top, scenery-gluttonous take on the role?  The skit SNL did on THAT character was a definite keeper.  In the absence of any mention of DS, that would be a small, gothic bone to throw in our direction. >:D

My other criticism:  Will somebody force that People Ed-in-chief to shower, shave, and style his frikkin' hair?  (He gives me the same skeevy feelings I get from the ever-unkempt Tim Burton.  but at least, the latter is an artiste!  8))

Better YET, make him, and his inane comments, go away COMPLETELY? 4-ever?

Steve, you are quite right  I have to admitt that I have enjoyed some of the l00 best movies, villiansl, etc,etc,etc,  Just so I can scream at the TV when I think they a wrong.  Of course, pat myself on the back when I agree.

The biggest surprise about the "100 best films list" was that I managed to agree with a goodly amount of them.  Either someone else has my "excellent" taste, and/or it's evidence that I've had no life and thus, ended up watching a lot of movies, and/or I must really be getting old, to have seen so MANY of the movies on the list. ???

Luv, L.