Author Topic: Joan Bennett  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Joan Bennett
« on: July 19, 2003, 09:06:36 PM »
Mon, 7/28/03, 8:15am, TCM:
"Eleven Men and a Girl", starring Joan Bennett

Wed, 7/23/03, 2:00am, TCM
"Pennies From Heaven", starring Steve Martin, features JOHN KARLEN

Thurs, 7/30/03, 6:00m, TCM
"Night of the Iguana".

HOORAY FOR TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES...which, BTW, showed "Marnie" last night...my all time favorite Hitchock film.

Oh yeah...been wanting to say that:

HITCHCOCK CHAIR!

(Can't even remember what Hitchcock chair is/what story arc...anyone??)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Joan Bennett
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 10:36:56 PM »
HITCHCOCK CHAIR!

(Can't even remember what Hitchcock chair is/what story arc...anyone??)

Leviathans.  Barnabas has one, Philip wants to buy it, and B. eventually sells it to him as a ruse to get him to the Old House and begin his punishment.

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2003, 03:15:29 PM »
Patti,
               I love TCM.  The first channel I surf to.  American in Paris is on now.  We are also fans of the Hitchcock movies
               Love antiques so would die for a Hitchcock chair.  Someday might find one I can afford at a yard sale.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2003, 03:59:04 PM »
They're going to be airing the seldom aired (and there would be a reason for that) turkey of a version of Moby Dick with John Barrymore in September. Joan plays Captain Ahab's "love interest."

Spoiler laden, but very amusing synopsis of the film: Retrospective: Moby Dick (1930)

And according to TCM's schedule, it looks like September 22nd is going to be some sort of a tribute to La Bennett, albeit a bizarre one (they either don't have her better films in their library or someone is smoking some serious drugs, 'cause these are a really odd selection of the good to the bad). Films scheduled are:

Little Women
Vogues of 1938 (Joan in color!)
Moby Dick
Disraeli
Eleven Men and a Girl
Father's Little Dividend
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2003, 03:34:10 AM »
HOORAY FOR TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES...which, BTW, showed "Marnie" last night...my all time favorite Hitchock film.

A week or so ago I saw an obituary for Winston Graham.  He wrote the Poldark books which were made into TV series and shown on PBS here.  I loved the series and read the books.  But, in the obituary, it mentioned that he had written Marnie.

A few days later it was on and I had never seen it, so I taped it.  Just finished watching it last night.  I wanted to check out the obituary to mention it to my aunt, but it must have been the previous week.  However, there it was on the screen, based on the book by Winston Graham.

It's so completely different than Poldark that it's hard to imagine the same author doing both.  The movie WAS very good!!
Josette

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2003, 03:41:08 AM »
Poldark......sigh.

I never wanted to be a redhead.....until the first time I saw Angharad Rees...... ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas