Author Topic: Disturbing DS Episodes  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Disturbing DS Episodes
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:35:32 PM »
This site has a list of the most disturbing television shows ever:

http://io9.com/8-tv-episodes-that-qualify-as-psychological-warfare-476802212

Are there any episodes of DS that you would put into this category?

For me, its the episode when David runs out of the mausoleum he was trapped in and into the hands of Barnabas.  It's running from one danger right into the one person you are scared of that could kill and dispose you easily.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Disturbing DS Episodes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »
When Edward's reassuring Jamison that he's not Petofi, and that he really has both his hands, and then Jamison's now-fake prosthetic hand comes off in Edward's.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 07:49:07 PM »
I found some of the episodes where Barnabas has Maggie prisoner in the Old House and is trying to brainwash her into being his "new Josette" to be among the creepiest, skin-crawlingly disturbing things ever done on the series.  It's the period where Frid was basically walking off a cliff every day with feeling overwhelmed with the pace of it all and the nervousness kicks up this disturbingly realistic look of mingled craving and hysteria in Barnabas' eyes in some of his scenes with her.

Later on when she finally escapes and he hasn't realized it yet, he's going down to kill her and he's soliloquizing "I could have loved you... but now you must die!" and through the melodrama there's a vein of sick psychodrama that's chilling.

Later on they repeated the Maggie kidnapping a couple of times, notably with Pennock in his Yeagar persona, and even when Yeagar was obsessively licking Maggie's jewelry it wasn't as disturbing as the original Barnabas scenario in 1967.

G.

David

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »
Barnabas putting Maggie in the coffin was pretty strong stuff, as was Barnabas beating Willie.
David possessed by Quentin acting seductively toward Maggie still makes my skin crawl.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 08:35:41 PM »
  It's the period where Frid was basically walking off a cliff every day with feeling overwhelmed with the pace of it all and the nervousness kicks up this disturbingly realistic look of mingled craving and hysteria in Barnabas' eyes in some of his scenes with her.

Thanks for that, G.   I didn't know the background of this.

Of course, a lot of us didn't know then that there are people who do vaguely similar things in real life, without the vampire element, kidnaping women and putting them in cells...   Now I equate Barnabas and Maggie more to that, than I do to monster movie conventions.   So yes, the whole thing is very disturbing.   It's not the first time DS did it, either.  I think the last few hours or minutes (hard to tell time in early DS) of Matthew Morgan get far too "real" for comfort.   [spoiler]He rambles about killing mercifully, then chooses an axe, and a small one, so it will take a million blows.   We see him going psychotically violent in front of our eyes.

The end of Dave Woodard, totally unexpected, morality warped and turned inside out, that is definitely on the list.[/spoiler]

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 01:41:37 AM »
Perhaps Ester should take up knitting instead of blithering nonsense like this or even watching these kinds of shows.   

I personally can't think of any eppy of Dark Shadows that is disturbing in nature.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 05:26:17 AM »
Episode 735.  Trask with Rachel in the mausoleum.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 02:35:45 PM »
When I was a kid I was not allowed to watch DS. I'm going to recount two "episodes" exactly as I remember them. I've seen the show since and now realize my memory is faulty. We tend to reconstruct events in our minds, often filling in gaps with erroneous data.

Memory 1-"Quentin" was chained to a wall after claiming he's not a werewolf. His hand changes and he rages against the chains trying to get out. The screams were hellish.
Memory 2-David finds a noose and is playing with it. It puts itself around his neck and he's slowly being strangled.

I think most of you will recognize the fractured plot points that were the genesis of these faulty memories. I still snuck glimpses whenever I could, but I payed for them at night.

Offline MysticScribe

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »
Because the tone was so different than what we'd seen on the show before, the scene when the original Willie Loomis cornered Carolyn in the drawing room was a bit jarring. It went beyond a garden variety masher annoying someone.
"I think I'll just go into Collinsport and get drunk." ~ Tim Shaw

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 04:25:28 PM »
I found the first couple of episodes in 1995 to be genuinely unnerving.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 06:14:30 PM »
As an adult I found the episode in which Miranda quotes Judah Zachary saying "God is dead! Long live Lucifer!" both chilling and powerful. If it had been a DS motion picture it would not have had the same power, but knowing the strict TV restraints, it gave a chilling realism to the moment. TV is a less is more medium. Previously the villains on DS had danced around the name of their master. Using the name  made it a tad chiling for me.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 07:35:02 PM »
As a kid watching during the original run, the most disturbing moment (that stuck with me even after the episode was over) was when Yaegar physically molested Maggie.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 10:56:31 PM »
"Ring"

scaaaariiieestttt!
Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 11:01:39 PM »
I don't watch the Yaeger episodes for this reason.  In fact, one would have to physically force me to watch those episodes.  I love the first part of PT, but it goes down hill as soon as the experiments start.  Yaeger is the only character on the show that I find distasteful.  I just don't feel he belongs in the DS universe.  Barnabas was insane in the early episodes, but his actions had nothing on Yaeger's. 

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 11:46:29 PM »
The bit where Cyrus fondled Maggie Collins' glove or scarf was pretty creepy. But I think that the ultimate was the Thanksgiving day eve cliffhanger where Nicholas Blair placed Maggie on the altar and was offering her up to the devil. Some wedding present, huh?
Fade Away and Radiate