Author Topic: New David Selby DVD Release  (Read 1635 times)

David

New David Selby DVD Release
« on: July 19, 2003, 05:20:55 PM »
David Selby's biggest chance for Hollywood big screen stardom is now on DVD.

1973s "Up the Sandbox" in which he played Barbra Streisand's husband, is now on Warner DVD. This is a brilliant social satire, and one of the most high profile big screen films he did.

Worth checking out.

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
Re:New David Selby DVD Release
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 05:44:02 PM »
Thanks for the heads up David  :)

I read that Up the Sandbox didn't do too well when it came out.  I thought it was hilarious.  I had three young kids when I first saw it so I could relate to Barbra Streisand's fantasies.  And David Selby was really good, too, could have used him in every single scene  ;) but you can't always have what you want.  Loved the merry-go-round at the end.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 08:07:03 PM »
1973s "Up the Sandbox" in which he played Barbra Streisand's husband, is now on Warner DVD. This is a brilliant social satire, and one of the most high profile big screen films he did.

Worth checking out.

Also worth mentioning that this DVD, along with the 3 other Streisand films that dropped on the same day, includes commentary by her.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 08:58:38 PM »
Also worth mentioning that this DVD, along with the 3 other Streisand films that dropped on the same day, includes commentary by her.

MsCriseyde...do you know if Ms. Streisand talks about David Selby on the commentaries at all?

Patti
What a Woman!

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 09:01:00 PM »
This is one of those films that, for whatever reasons, has gone unappreciated by audiences and critics.  I thought that its being released on DVD would have encouraged people to take a second look at it, but I haven't come across a single review of the DVD.

For those who haven't seen it, it's definitely worth checking out.  The Streisand and Selby pairing might seem odd, but it really does work.  This film did not do well at the box office, which is a shame for both of the leads.  For Streisand, its success would most likely have encouraged her to pursue more unconventional film projects, and would have led to more starring vehicles for Selby.

Regards,

John

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2003, 12:45:12 AM »
MsCriseyde...do you know if Ms. Streisand talks about David Selby on the commentaries at all?

My assumption is that she does, but I've not gotten my grubby paws on a copy of the DVD yet. Should be able to tell you later in the week if no one else here knows.  ;)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2003, 02:05:25 AM »
Should be able to tell you later in the week if no one else here knows.  ;)

I don't actually know, but a friend of mine bought the 4 DVD boxed set (Up The Sandbox, What's Up Doc, Nuts, and The Main Event) and told me that most of Streisand's commentary is scene specific. She hasn't watched Up The Sandbox yet, but there is that slim chance that Streisand may not even comment on any of the scenes Selby is in. :( However, what might prove to be more interesting is a making of documentary that's included on the DVD. I'll be curious to learn more about that from you because chances are you'll get to see it before my friend ever does. ;)

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2003, 11:54:03 AM »
Hi, David thanks for the info!!! I LOVE
DAVID SELBY!!!!!!!!!!  BIG FAN OF HIS!!!!
YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Love Anne ;D ;)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 08:36:38 PM »
what might prove to be more interesting is a making of documentary that's included on the DVD. I'll be curious to learn more about that from you because chances are you'll get to see it before my friend ever does. ;)

I got hold of a copy today. The documentary is only really about the sequence filmed in Africa, which features Streisand and Paul Benedict. Selby isn't in the documentary except in clips that are from the film itself.

As for the commentary, I just sort of zipped through the film rather quickly, but it doesn't appear that she ever talks about Selby specifically. Her focus, understandably, is on her own character.

I was hoping for a tell-all account of the hole in his sweater when he first went to talk about doing the movie. Darn it!  ;D

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 09:36:33 PM »
As for the commentary, I just sort of zipped through the film rather quickly, but it doesn't appear that she ever talks about Selby specifically. Her focus, understandably, is on her own character.

Why does that NOT surprise me?   [chkyb]

I'm always pleasantly surprised when actors doing commentaries acknowledge (not to mention compliment) their fellow actors or talk about the experience of making the film. "The Hours" for example, has wonderful commentary by Nicole, Meryl, and Juilianne, and they all have wonderful things to say about the other actors who appear in the film. Wish Streisand had gone that route.

Bette
Life works if you let it

David

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2003, 11:07:26 PM »
I heard a rumor, long ago, that Selby was cast in this film because Barbra was a DS fan. His being on DS was mentioned in one of the books about her.

I wonder if the rumor is true? If Babs doesn't confirm it in her commentary, does anyone else know?

other famous, confirmed  DS fans:

Whoopi Goldberg
Madonna
Stephen King
Jaqueline Kennedy Onassis
Bruce Springsteen
Oprah Winfrey
Ocar winner Jean Simmons(in the 1991 DS)
Rosie O'Donnell
Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2003, 11:11:11 PM »
I agree, Bette, that would have been so nice, but I'll cut Bab's some slack considering she worked on that film just over thirty years ago. With it bombing at the box office (perhaps a poor choice of words) and all that's happened in her life since, I imagine her memories of working on it are few. To be honest, I'm surprised that she agreed to do any commentary at all.

I remember going to see UTS when it was released, with Selby and Streisand in it - how could I resist! Lol. Didn't understand it at all, it all went way over my head at age 13. I remember walking out of the theater very disappointed.

Has Selby talked much about the film other than remembering that he had a hole in his sweater? Anyone?

dom

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2003, 11:47:32 PM »
I agree, Bette, that would have been so nice, but I'll cut Bab's some slack considering she worked on that film just over thirty years ago.

That's a very good point, dom. I wonder how much the DS actors would remember about DS if they didn't have us all reminding them every year about the show. Even then, sometimes their memories of what happened on the show differ from the facts as we the fans know them. For instance, KLS said at recent Fest that Grayson Hall was NOT the first actress to play Julia!   :o

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 01:35:44 AM »
Selby isn't in the documentary except in clips that are from the film itself.

As for the commentary, I just sort of zipped through the film rather quickly, but it doesn't appear that she ever talks about Selby specifically.

Oh, well. :(

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2003, 06:18:15 AM »
Actually, there are 2 separate commentaries on the DVD. One is by Steisand, and the other, which I just now got around to listening to, is by director Irvin Kershner.

Kershner mentions Selby twice. First, at the beginning of the film, he describes him as a "lovely actor" and says that he had not seen any of Selby's other work prior to his being cast in the film. He says the point was to pick a cast who were not well known to the viewing public so that Barbra Streisand would be more believable as a housewife. If she were surrounded by stars, the film would be less believable.

The second mention is during a scene toward the very end of the film when Selby's character brings Streisand's character breakfast in bed. Kershner compliments Selby on his sense of timing with the dialogue and notes how expressive he is without saying anything later in the scene. He does it all with his eyes.

I'm sure others on the board will also confirm that his eyes do it for them.  ;D

Anyway, screen grabs are forthcoming.  ;)