Author Topic: #0083/0084: Robservations 07/19/01: Vicki Imprisoned  (Read 1293 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0083/0084: Robservations 07/19/01: Vicki Imprisoned
« on: July 18, 2001, 07:33:55 PM »
Episode #83 - Kinescope - Despite the surface calm that fills the great house on Widows' Hill, the undercurrents of tension can still be felt--tensions that continually seem to affect everyone in Collinwood--tensions that I seem unable to avoid.

Roger leaves the house
and stands looking out over the grounds.

Meanwhile, Vicki can't find her pen in David's room. I thought I was through with my homework, he whines. You are, she says, scrabbling through the books on the desk, I just came up here to get my notebook and pen, but the pen's gone. No it's not, it's right over there, insists David. Where? she asks, looking. Can't you see anything? he asks--I put it right here...he looks, but the pen is not there--I'm sure that's right where I put it! You must be mistaken, she says. But I know I put it right there, he says, pointing to the spot--I think I did. Nobody would just walk in here and take it, she says, so it must be right here--help me look for it. They begin to search. David opens a drawer..
Meantime, Roger has taken the pen and buried it in the dirt outside Collinwood, then covered the spot with a large, heavy stone.

It's not in there, says David, searching a drawer. Vicki goes to his dresser and suggests maybe it got mixed up in his things over here. David goes over and sits on his bed. She asks him to please help her look. Why, it's not here, he says. It has to be somewhere, she points out--it was a very expensive pen. Who cares? He asks, you didn't pay for it, you found it. That's not important, she says, I'd like to have it back--try to remember where you were the last time you saw it. I think you left it over there on the desk, he says, and I picked it up--I wanted to look in the crystal ball to see if I could see where you found it--then I picked it up and I put it there by the crystal ball--as soon as I saw you found it at Lookout Point, I went downstairs to tell you. And the pen was on the desk when you left the room? she asks. I think so, he says--maybe they took it. Don't start talking about ghosts and widows again, she says. Why not? he asks, it disappeared, didn't it--why couldn't they have taken it? Because they don't have any use for a fountain pen--but little boys do, she says. You think I took it? he asks. I don't think so, she says, I think you might have borrowed it. I didn't steal your pen, he says resentfully. He looks out the window. I didn't say steal, I said borrow, she says--we both know you have a habit of borrowing things. I didn't take it! he insists. Then who did? she asks. What about my father?--why not blame him while you're at it, says David. He was in the drawing room with me, says Vicki. He wasn't there all the time, says David--when I came up to tell you, he went out--probably came up here, took it, I bet that's who did it. You're terrible, you really are! says Vicki--you'll blame anybody but yourself. I don't care--it wasn't me! he says. It certainly wasn't your father, let's get that straight, she says.

Roger returns to the house, wearing a capelike coat. He overhears David saying, "You think you can blame me for everything that happens here--well you can't." I can blame you for the things you do, says Vicki. That's all you ever like to do, is get me in trouble! Accuses David, crossing his arms over his chest. He and Vicki are in the hallway now. Roger heads upstairs. I'd like to get my pen back, she says, if you just show it to me, I'll forget the whole thing. Why don't you look in there, he says, pointing to the door at the end of the hallway. That's closed off, says Vicki. That's where the ghosts live, he says--that's where they must have taken it. Roger comes over and asks what's going on. A private affair between David and me, she explains. It didn't sound private from downstairs, says Roger--what's wrong. She's trying to blame me for stealing her pen, and I didn't! says David. Your pen? Asks Roger. Yes, it was in David's room when I went downstairs, and when I came up, it was gone, she explains. I can't help if it disappeared, says David. Things just don't disappear, she tells him. Roger says he's tired of this continuous bickering with David. So am I, she says. If it's simply a matter of a pen, he says, I'll be delighted to buy you another one, just to get the whole matter settled. That's not the point, she says. Did you take that pen? Roger asks David. No! says David. that's good enough for me, son, Roger assures him. (SOB!) I should think it would be good enough for you--when you have a chance, I'd like to see you in the drawing room. Roger leaves.
He...he stuck up for me, says David, amazed. Yes I know, says Vicki. See, says David triumphantly, you thought he was your friend--but he isn't!--he is NOT! He goes into his room, closing the door. Vicki stands there, unsure of what to do.

Collinsport Inn - Maggie enters the restaurant, sits at the counter and begins reading the newspaper. Joe comes in and goes behind the counter, offering her coffee. If it isn't Joe Haskell, the big fish tycoon, she teases as he pours coffee--all right, the little fish tycoon, I forget that the Collins Cannery deals only in sardines. Little fish from which big money is made, says Joe, and it's all poured into a dead castle on a dead hill. This is one of your bitter days, she observes, something's missing. Common sense, says Joe. No, from this, she says, holding up her cup of coffee--coffee cup without a saucer--it's impossible. I'm a terrible waiter, he says, handing her a saucer--Joe Haskell at your service. You'd better not let Carolyn hear you say that, she warns. At this moment, she couldn't care less, he says, pouring coffee for himself. Then she's the one without any common sense, insists Maggie. You know what she said to me? asks Joe--she said don't ever speak to me again--she meant it. Sure, for about 5 or 10 minutes, says Maggie. He sits beside her at the counter. How's the job coming along? she asks. OK, he says, I was offered a promotion today. You were?--that's great! says Maggie. Turned it down, says Joe. I guess you had your reasons, she says--let me guess, Mrs. Stoddard offered you a better job at the cannery and you turned it down because you want to buy your own fishing boat and be independent, right? You think I'm crazy? he asks. Not if it's what you really want, she says. You'd think after all this time, Carolyn would understand how I really feel, he says, I've been talking of this boat for years--now it's like some brand new thing to her. She angry because you turned down the job? asks Maggie. He sips his coffee. That's what she said, he says, if you want to be independent, be independent without me--or something like that--I just don't think Carolyn and I are ever going to understand each other--maybe I'm better off recognizing it now. But you love her, says Maggie wistfully. How can I love her, I don't even know what she is, from one day to the next--what do you think I ought to do? She giggles and says there are a couple of things you can do--beat her over the head and force her to marry you, sit in your room and sulk, or find a new girl. (I think she's voting for the latter.) How about a donut to go with the coffee, suggests Maggie, gazing at him fondly.

Vicki comes downstairs and goes into the drawing room. You said you wanted to talk to me, she says. Yes, it's about that silly business with the pen, he says, I wanted to apologize for the way I spoke to you. It did seem a little strange, she says--David steals my property and I'm accuse of bickering. Are you quite certain David took your pen? He asks. It was gone when I got back to the room, she says, no one else could have done it. Besides me, of course, he says. We can't let him go on like this, she insists. You told me not so long ago, says Roger, that you wanted to have David's confidence, are you quite sure that accusing him of stealing is the best way to go about it. But he did take it, says Vicki. Even so, says Roger, perhaps this is one time you should overlook it. I want David to like me, she says, but I'm not going to overlook this kind of behavior. Come on, says Roger, why make so much fuss over a pen, it's not as if you went out and bought it yourself. That was David's argument, she says, just because I found it at Lookout Point, it didn't make any difference whether I lost it--that's just plain nonsense. Would you accept the idea, says Roger, that what we need around this house is peace and quiet? Of course, she agrees. Then do this for me, he says--forget about the pen, and about the incident with David--forget that the pen and the argument never happened. I don't think I can do that, she says. Why not? he asks, believe me, that pen is never going to show up again--because after this fuss, I know David will never bring it back. (Doesn't any of this seem odd to her?) I suppose so, she says. And I'll be more than happy to replace it for you, he says. That's not necessary, she says--it's not the pen, can't you understand that?--it's the problem of not being able to trust David. Roger assures her he does understand that--that's why he wants her to do it his way--see how David reacts if neither the pen nor the incident is mentioned again--not only to David, but anyone else--would you do that for me? All right, says Vicki. Good, I'm sure you'll find that best--for everybody, says Roger, relieved.

You know what you are? asks Maggie--the while knight of Collinsport, determined to save the beautiful princess from the dungeon. Only trouble is, she doesn't want to be saved, says Joe, rubbing his face. Then the beautiful princess is, if you'll excuse the expression, says Maggie, off her rocker! Confused, says Joe. Off her rocker, says Maggie--she wants to stay up at Collinwood--that's not confused--the one time I went up there, I felt like there were a hundred ghosts all around me--and all I saw was the entrance hall and the drawing room. You ought to see the other parts, says Joe, especially those that are closed off. Have you ever been in there? she asks. No, says Joe, nobody goes in there, but I have heard it's full of ghosts. You know I believe you, she says. Musty and spooky, says Joe, filled with little blind alleys and dark corridors and rooms that are closed up--and dead people that never speak. Hey, cut it out there, Joe, she says, you're gonna make me nervous. They laugh together at her poor Mae West imitation. I'll tell you something, she says, if I had my choice between that big house and the little cottage Pop and I have, I'd take the little cottage. A customer comes in and Joe says he has to be going. She offers him pot luck with her and Sam tonight--if he doesn't have anything better planned. He thanks her, but says he doesn't know if he'll be free. I'll be cooking dinner anyway, she says, so if you change your mind, just give me a call. Maybe I'll do that, he says. Good, she says. Thanks for the use of the hall! He says, and leaves.
She grins, pleased.

Roger returns to David's room. David sits at his desk, looking into the crystal. What will you have? Roger asks his son--a million dollars or a brand new bike? I was looking for the pen, he says. Will this one do? he asks, handing David a pen from his pocket. That isn't it, says David--this one is silver. Wouldn't you accept this one in its place? Asks Roger. You mean you're giving it to me, it's yours! Says David. Not any longer--it's yours, says Roger, handing it to him. David takes it, smiling. Gee! he says. Grownups make mistakes, says Roger, sometimes as often as children do--and in this case I think Miss Winters was a bit too hasty in accusing you of stealing her pen--that's why I want you to have this-to make up for the annoyance she must have caused you. Thanks says David. I'd like you to do something for me in return, says Roger. what? asks David. It's not going to be terrible, says Roger, I simply want to keep peace in this house--I want you to forget about Miss Winters' pen, forget she found it and that it disappeared--would you do that for me? How can I do that? asks David. Simply by promising not to mention it to anyone, says Roger, that way it will never come up again and will be all over and done with. No it won't, says David--because Miss Winters will tell everybody I stole her stupid pen. No she won't, Roger assures him, she promised she wouldn't--she's not going to say anything about it--and I want you to make me the same promise--will you? Sure, he says--cross my heart--but I'm still mad at her. I can't help that, says Roger--I hope you enjoy your gift. Father, says David--do you know what happened to her pen?--it was right here when I left, and when I came back, it was gone. Well, says Roger, I have a theory--I think it was one of those ghost friends you have. That's what I told Miss Winters, says David, but she wouldn't believe me. It's all over now, says Roger. No it's not, says David, maybe I won't tell anybody, but I'm going to get even--and nobody's going to stop me.
Why should I stop you? asks Roger--I think this matter should be settled between you and Miss Winters. (SOB!!!) He leaves David's room, first giving him a look.

Night, Collinwood - Vicki looks out the drawing room window, listening to the wind and thunder. David comes in and she asks him what's the matter. Where's my father? asks David, sounding odd. He's left the house, says Vicki. Is anyone else here in the house? asks David. No, just you and me, says Vicki . David suddenly takes off, running toward the stairs. David? calls Vicki, chasing after him. What's the matter? she calls to him, and is about to follow him upstairs when someone knocks. It's Joe, and she tells him she's glad to see him. That's a welcome I didn't expect, he says. You don't know what it's like to be alone in this house with David, she says. I was wondering if Carolyn was here? asks Joe, but obviously she's not. She's not back yet, says Vicki. Did she say anything about me before she left? asks Joe. No, says Vicki, she was very upset, said a lot of things, some she did mean, some she didn't--she's very confused. Amen, says Joe. She says she told me she never wanted to see you again, says Vicki--that's one thing I know she didn't mean. (Something that sounds like a big pot crashes in the background.) Do you think I'm an idiot, hanging around here, coming back to get my face slapped every 10 minutes? He asks. If you put it that way, yes, says Vicki teasingly. That's what I thought--thanks, he says. Please don't go, she says, I think Carolyn should be back pretty soon, and I know she'll be happy to see you. Sorry, he says, I resign from the Idiot's Union. I was only kidding, she says. I wasn't, he says, besides I've got to get home and shave and change my clothes--I've got a dinner date tonight. He leaves. Vicki slowly heads upstairs. David is in his room, staring out the window. I'm going to get even, he vows! He hears Vicki outside in the hallway and opens his door and calls to her. Why did you run off like that? she asks. Who was at the door? asks David. Joe, she says. Is he still there? asks David. No, she says. I lied to you before, says David, about the pen. David! she chastises. You can have it back if you want it, he says. Of course I want it, says Vicki, go and get it for me. It's in there, he says, pointing to the door at the end of the hall. That's the closed off section of the house, she says. I know what it is, he says, I have a secret place in there and that's where the pen is. Go and get it, she insists. Not unless you go in there with me, he says.
You're making all this up, says Vicki--I want you to go and get it--that section of the house is locked off--no one can get in there. Except for me, says David, holding up a key. He unlocks the door and opens it. See, he says, if you want your pen, you have to come with me. Ridiculous, she says. It's the only way you'll get your pen, he warns. He tells her to follow him, and closes the door behind them.

NOTES: Oh, no! Is David planning to do something icky to Vicki? Get her lost in the closed-off wing, which Maggie and Joe were discussing, and scare her to death?

Roger has once again proved himself a total bastard. He steals the pen and charms David and Vicki into dropping the matter. I wondered why only David asked his father if he took the pen. Allowing the enmity to go on between his son and his governess, taking David's side against her when he knew he'd stolen the pen himself, was just plain wrong!

Sounds like Joe is finally getting Carolyn's message, and the fact that he's going to Maggie's tells me the Joe-Carolyn relationship is officially on the skids. I don't blame him. Carolyn hasn't been very nice to him, and he's always good to her.

Episode #84 - The last rays of sunlight are fading behind the great house on Widows' Hill, and one can almost feel the ghosts of the dead past stirring to life, once again making the legends that surround the hidden corners of this odd mansion seem much too real.

David leads Vicki down a corridor strewn with furniture and other debris. I thought I heard something, says Vicki. It was just a mouse, says David--come on, we're practically there. (oh, good!) I want to go back, says Vicki. You want your pen, don't you? he asks her. Not this badly, she insists. There's nothing to be scared of, he says, I go here all the time. Why? she asks, this section of the house has been closed off for 50 years. Why do you want to come here for? she asks. Because nobody bothers me here, he says, come on, let's go. They hear a strange outer-space sound, which David says is the wind--what else did she think it was?--he didn't think a grownup would be scared of a thing like that. Where are we? asks Vicki, we've been walking up and down stairs, in and out corridors, for the last 10 minutes. I know, he says, I've been taking you around in circles. You've been what? she demands. You don't think I'd want you to find it by yourself, do you? he asks. They hear that sound again. Vicki asks where they're going now, and David unlocks another door. In here, he says. She precedes him in, and he closes the door.

David locks the door behind them. Do you like it? David asks Vicki. This room is gross, dark, filled with garbage. I can't really say I do, she replies. Wait until I light the candle, he says, can't really see what it's like. He takes out a match. I don't really think I want to, she says, I just want to get my pen and go back. Next time I'd rather bring another candle, he says, this is the last one. Next time? she asks, how often do you come here? Whenever I want to be alone, he says. Let me help you with that, she says, pointing to the matches. No, this is my place! He says. I thought your secret place was at the Old House, she says. This place is special, he tells her, nobody ever comes here, not even Matthew, it's so secret I could sit here for ten hundred years--nobody would ever find me. What a horrible thought, remarks Vicki. I've got everything I need, he says, chest, bed, drawing paper--I can keep it as messy as I want, he brags, balling up a piece of paper and tossing it on the floor--because nobody tells me to clean it up. That's very nice, says Vicki, but I'd just like to get my pen and leave. Gee, he asks, why did you come if you're not even going to stay for 10 minutes? Because you insisted, she says, you said I couldn't get my pen back unless I did come! David sits on the dresser. I'm sorry I did, says Vicki. I thought you were going to be my friend, he says reproachfully. I am, she assures him. then sit down, he says, you're the only person I ever showed this to. I'm sure you're very proud of it, she says, but I'm sure I'd rather come back and see it by daylight--to be quite honest with you, it makes me nervous. What does? asks David--the mice--don't worry, they won't hurt you--sometimes, I even feed them--I have all sorts of cans, can opener--he shows her his stash--paper plates and even some forks. You're very well equipped, she says. You bet I am, he assures her--when my friends come by to visit, I sit down and have something to eat--it's just great. Friends?--I thought you said nobody ever came here, says Vicki. Oh, I don't mean people, I mean my friends, the ones that live in this part of the house, says David--the ones that never really die! Lightning highlights his grinning face.

Carolyn returns home, takes off her coat, drops it on the foyer table. Liz comes downstairs in a flowing, shapeless dress, and asks her where she's been all afternoon. Walking, says Carolyn. You didn't happen to see David, did you? asks Liz. I didn't see anybody, says Carolyn. It's getting dark, he's disappeared, frets Liz. I really couldn't care less, says Carolyn. Oh darling, says Liz, there's no need for you to be so upset. (But a little compassion for your cousin would be nice.) How can you say that? asks Carolyn, after the things I said to you and Joe?--I went out and walked, and thought--I don't like myself, that's the plain, honest truth, not at all. Liz sits beside her on the sofa and tells her there are times she isn't proud of her--she doesn't mean what she said to her, there's probably a lot of truth in that. I was horrible! Says Carolyn. Yes you were, agrees Liz, but when I offered Joe a promotion, I was thinking of you--I thought you and he could get married--so when you said you weren't something to be bought and sold, I deserved it. It was a terrible thing for me to say, says Carolyn--you were only thinking of me. Perhaps that's where I was unfair to Joe, says Liz--that's the wonderful thing about him, his independence, wanting a boat of his own--his desire to make his own way--and we have no right to take that away from him. I know that, says Carolyn. Then why did you say you never wanted to speak to him again? asks Liz. Maybe this is going to sound crazy to you, says Carolyn, I don't think I was angry because Joe didn't accept the promotion, I was just scared that he might--so, now what do I do? That all depends on how you feel about him, says Liz.
I love him, says Carolyn, at least I think I do. Then I think you ought to call him up and tell him so, says Liz--I'm going upstairs to see if Vicki knows where David is. What would I ever do without you? Carolyn asks her mother, smiling up at her. You're a Collins, says Liz--you'd survive. Liz leaves.

Liz comes downstairs to find Carolyn on the phone in the drawing room. I have to see you, Joe, says Carolyn--how many chances do you have to hear your best girl tell you what an idiot she's been?--great!--how soon can you be here?--I'll see you then. From now on, everything is going to be marvelous! Exults Carolyn--Joe is climbing into his jalopy and rushing up to the castle on the hill--she kisses Liz--I love you, she says, I love everyone, including David!--by the way, did Vicki know where he'd gone? She wasn't in her room, says Liz. Oh, you mean we have two disappearances in one day--how exciting! Says Carolyn. I wonder where they went? Asks Liz. This is silly, says Carolyn--David likes to roam around and Vicki's a big girl--they probably went for a walk together. I suppose, says Liz doubtfully. Don't go getting one of your premonitions, says Carolyn, this is much too happy a day for that--you know what I'm going to get Joe to do?--it's not going to be any Blue Whale tonight--we are gong to the fanciest place in town, and we're going to dance and have a great dinner--and maybe even some champagne! I think Joe might have some trouble saving up for that boat he wants, jokes Liz, if he's going to have to spend his money like that! Carolyn giggles and tells her mother it's a big night--who knows, I might even tell Joe I'll marry him! Just because you never said you'd speak to him again? asks Liz. Don't be so logical, says Carolyn, that's the trouble with this place--everyone is so logical and gloomy and full of premonitions of doom!--I wonder what it would be like if we ever had a real party in this place? We used to have parties, reminisces Liz--many of them--I remember when I was a little girl sitting on those stairs out there, watching all the girls in their beautiful clothes--and one time we had a treasure hunt, all through the house--that was before so many rooms were closed off. I wish someday we could open all those rooms and fill them with flowers, says Carolyn. It's too late for that, says Liz--there's nothing left in any of those rooms anymore, nothing but memories of a past that won't come back. Thunder rolls. Liz looks sad.

Lightning flashes in the small, grated window of the room in which David is yelling for help. Stop it! orders Vicki. HELP, HELP, HELP! shouts David. Someone will think you've been hurt, cautions Vicki. No they won't, he assures her, this place is so secret--that's what I was trying to show you--you could yell as loud as you want and no one could hear you. I have no intention of yelling or anything else, says Vicki. I didn't exactly mean you, says David, I meant anybody. It's dark now, she says, and I've seen your room--I'd like to go back now. But there's much more to tell, he says. I don't want to hear anymore, she says. He sits down and tells her sometimes dead people come here to visit him--sometimes when it gets dark--they stand in that corner--he points--and they look at me--and they talk! That's nonsense, says Vicki, sounding scared. Once they told me about a girl, says David, who went into a room--the door was locked behind her, and she tried to get out and couldn't--and 50 years later, they came back and when they found her, she was nothing but dead bones! Forget about the pen, says Vicki, nervous--let's go. But it was only a story! protests David. I don't like your stories, she says. OK, says David, I'll find your old pen--if I can remember where I put it. He pretends to look around for a few seconds, and smiles at her when her back is turned.

Carolyn comes downstairs at Collinwood to answers Joe's knock. Joe Haskell, what a surprise! She says. Hi, Carolyn, he says dispiritedly. Is that all you have to say? she asks--kissing him--you can do better than that--and he gives her a warmer kiss--better than that, too, she says.
He takes her hands off his arm and says he came over as soon as he could. You sure must have been expecting my call, she says admiringly, observing his suit and tie--all spiffed up and ready to go out on the town! You see, says Joe hesitantly, I...Carolyn--hello, Mrs. Stoddard, he greets Liz, who has exited the kitchen. I see you've decided to speak to each other again, she observes with a grin. I never said I wouldn't, says Joe--I was here earlier, looking for you. I was out, says Carolyn--walking off my idiotic mood. That's what Vicki told me, says Joe. You saw Vicki? asks Liz--how long ago was that? About an hour, says Joe--why? Joe came to take me out to dinner, chides Carolyn, not to worry about David and Vicki. Did she say anything about going out? asks Liz anxiously. No, says Joe. David and Vicki aren't here, says Carolyn. Was David here when you stopped by? Asks Liz. Yes, says Joe, Vicki said something about she and David being alone in the house--she acted a little uncomfortable about it--I got the impression she wanted me to stick around until someone else got home. Why didn't you? asks Carolyn. I really couldn't, says Joe, I had things to do and I had to leave. Frankly, I'm a little worried, says Liz. That's enough about that, says Carolyn--David and Vicki are perfectly all right and will turn up any minute--you'll see--now Joe and I have things to talk about--much more important than David and Vicki--and she leads Joe into the drawing room.

David tells Vicki it's funny, he can't seem to find it. This is ridiculous, says Vicki--you couldn't have brought it up here more than an hour ago. I know, says David--maybe one of my friends moved it--they're always doing things like that. Oh, David! says Vicki. You know what I think? he asks--I think we're going to have a storm. I think I'm going to leave! says Vicki. OK, says David--but she finds the door locked. Sure I did, I always lock it when I come in here, he says. Please unlock it, she says. It doesn't matter, he says--my friends don't need doors--they can just come in anyway. (The chilling way he talks of his ghost-friends is so casual, it makes me cold all over!)--especially tonight--they love it when there's thunder and lightning! Stop trying to frighten me and unlock that door! orders Vicki. Why should I want to frighten you? he asks--just because I called you a thief?--and just because you said I was a liar and I stole your pen? Why did you bring my up here? asks Vicki. To get the pen, he says, isn't that what I said--to get the pen I stole. I don't think that pen is up here, she says--I don't think it ever was here. You also think you're so smart, he says, think you know everything, when all you know how to do is get me in trouble! Unlock that door! she says. Why?--are you afraid to meet my friends? he taunts her--you know what they'll do to you--come into this room, yell and scream at you--make you wish you never said I stole your pen! Unlock that door! she cries. Say please! he says. Please, David, she says quietly. He takes the key from his pocket and unlocks the door. Thank you, she says--let's go. David points to the candle and asks her to blow it out--the house could catch on fire. As soon as she turns to do so, he closes the door and locks her in. David! she calls--unlock that door--please!
She bangs furiously at the door. You can bang and bang and bang but it won't do you any good! yells David--you can stay here for the rest of your life! Please let me out! pleads Vicki. And you can scream and scream and scream! Shouts David, but no one will ever hear you! And he leaves her there, Vicki pounding frantically at the door and screaming his name.

David exits the wing from which he imprisoned Vicki, locks the door, pockets the key, looks around, and goes into his own room, closing the door behind him.

In the drawing room, Carolyn tells Joe she was a fool--she should have known better than to be angry at him for wanting to be an independent human being. Why don't we just forget it? he asks. Let me finish my speech, she says, you see, I got to thinking that your ideas and the way you want to live, are exactly the kind of things my ancestors would have understood--they didn't build this town and this house by marrying the boss' daughter--they did it with their own hands and their own... I've listened to enough of this, says Joe, do me a favor, honey, and turn it off, will you? OK, no more speech, she says--she listens to the thunder and says it sounds like they're in for a big one--I'd better change my clothes if I want to beat the rain--see you in 10 minutes. Carolyn, wait, he says, standing up, and she tells him it's going to rain--she doesn't want to get her sexiest dress soaking wet. Stay here and listen to me, he says seriously. What's the matter? she asks, don't you want to celebrate? It's not that, he says, look, I came here tonight because you insisted, you said you wanted to talk to me. I did, she says, her hands on his arms, I wanted to make the big apology. That's great, he says, I'm glad you're not sore at me or anything like that... But--you don't want to take me out tonight--is that what you're trying to say? she asks. It's not that I don't want to, he says, but when you weren't around today, fact is, I made other plans, I'm sorry. They must be pretty special plans, she says jealously, the way you're all dressed up tonight. It's nothing special, he says, I was invited to dinner by a friend. I see, she says--I don't want to interfere with your evening. It's just too late to call it off, he says, it isn't fair--he checks his watch--I'm 10 minutes late already, she's probably wondering what happened. SHE? asks Carolyn--your friend is a she? It's nothing, he says, you know her, she's a good friend. I don't care who it is, insists Carolyn--I certainly wouldn't want you to keep her waiting! I just couldn't get in touch with you, can't you understand that? he demands. I understand! says Carolyn, perfectly--Joe Haskell, the sailor with a girl in every port--go on and have your fun--don't let me spoil your good time! You're making a big deal out of nothing, says Joe. Don't tell me what I'm making! She says, I had big plans for us tonight, for both of us--I even thought I might...do me a favor--get out of here. You're acting like a kid, he says. You don't know where the front door is, she says--suppose I show you. I'm just going to have dinner with someone, he says, not getting married! You bet you're not getting married! She assures him--not to me, anyway! Maybe that's the best thing that could ever happen to me, says Joe, and she grabs his arm, turns him around to face her and tells him she never wants to see him again--and this time, I mean it--now get out of here, go on to your dinner party.
Liz exits the kitchen, asking what all the shouting it for. Good night, Mrs. Stoddard, says Joe, and leaves the house. What happened? Liz asks Carolyn. Nothing, replies Carolyn, nothing at all--and she goes upstairs, forced to go around David. Why do you always have to be in everybody's way? wails Carolyn, running across the landing. What's the matter with her? David asks his aunt. Where have you been? asks Liz--I've been worried about you. Oh, I was outside, he says, I came in the back way. Where are you going now? she asks him. For a glass of milk, he says. David, she says, do you know where Miss Winters is? Isn't she in her room? he asks. No, she isn't, says Liz. I guess she must have taken a walk or something, says David--I think I'll have a piece of pie, too--I'm starved! Liz looks perplexed--and concerned.
Vicki continues to call to David to open the door, unaware that he's long gone. She gazes with fear at the lightning, hears creepy sounds, and clings to the door.

NOTES: Wow, it's hard to decide which is the worse SOB, Roger or David! What an awful thing to do to Vicki--and with his father's blessing, too! The way David baited Vicki about ghosts and death before finally locking her in was particularly vicious, truly the act of a psychopath in training.

It sure sounds as if Joe and Carolyn are finished this time. Perhaps it's for the best. Carolyn played too many head games with Joe, and he's a simple guy who deserves a simple gal--I always felt Maggie was a much better match for him than Carolyn. He and Maggie look good together, too, and she is already smitten with him and moving in on Carolyn's territory--without any guilt at all! How sad that Carolyn seemed willing to marry Joe (why the change, we wonder?), but now he's the one who is disenchanted. I understand his feelings, I really do!

Will Vicki escape her prison? Who will hear her there? (Notice the pains David took to show her how, no matter how much she screams, no one will hear.) The sad part is, David did NOT steal the pen, Roger did, and Collins, senior, has no compunctions about ruining the tentative relationship Vicki and David have forged with such difficulty. Now David hates Vicki so much for accusing him when he doesn't deserve it, he's decided to kill her--because that, after all, is what he figures will happen if she isn't found--50 years later?

Love, Robin