Author Topic: If it had been me.............  (Read 2815 times)

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
If it had been me.............
« on: July 17, 2003, 06:11:48 PM »
So Maggie now has both Barnabas and Cyrus mad about her.  Too bad she doesn't realize what an advantage she could take of this situation, especially since she and her husband don't seem to enjoy each other's company much lately.  What would you do if you were Maggie and this all actually dawned on you?   If it had been me..........

Barnabas would be bringing me drinks and fluffing up my pillows while Cyrus painted my toenails.  ;D

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:If it had been me.............
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 06:40:01 PM »
Hee hee!

I was thinking along the lines of Maggie and "if it had been me" today too, except it was concerning Roger, whom I would've bitch-slapped til he was black and blue and then I would have seen to getting him cut out of the will.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 07:37:32 PM »
Hee hee!

I was thinking along the lines of Maggie and "if it had been me" today too, except it was concerning Roger, whom I would've bitch-slapped til he was black and blue and then I would have seen to getting him cut out of the will.

"Bitch-slap" oh, how apropos.  I am enjoying PT Rogers delivery.  He is so deliciously catty.  Meow.
     I think Maggie should high-tail it back to New York and find a real barracuda type lawyer and take rich Quentin to the cleaners.  I could not believe she was sobbing she had nothing to live for.  Divorce him, take his money and cry all the way to the bank.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 07:57:29 PM »
...And when Quentin tell Maggie to "get to your room"...Ohhhhhhh!

He would have found himself in his room [8371]
And a lawyer would call him tomorrow.

"Get to your room"..HAH
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 08:16:30 PM »
The poor (non-existent?) delineation of the characterizations of Maggie and Quentin is a HUGE problem with the latter part of PT1970 for me.  Despite the considerable chemistry of the actor and actress cast in these roles, as people they're both about as desirable as damp cardboard.  When they're onscreen, they make one think of one of those dreadful couples who insist upon bickering in restaurants, subjecting the rest of the world to their pathetic inability to relate to one another.

At this point in the story, it's pretty much established that Quentin is a ranting, dysfunctional boor, while Maggie has been reduced to a snivelling, spineless dishrag with the self-awareness of a toothpick.

Maggie's imbecile posturing also ruins the concept of Cyrus/Yeagar's obsession with her, for me at least.  It doesn't really help matters that the obsession seems pretty much to come out of nowhere.

"But Steve, tell us how you REALLY feel about the characters?"

I do LOVE Roger, and Hoffman, and Dear Father.  I get amusement out of Angelexis so long as the script doesn't call for the character to get too psychotic.  At that point, I find myself wondering why someone in the group just doesn't stick a plastic baggie over her head while she's asleep.

grumping along,

Gothick

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 09:45:29 PM »
I think Maggie should high-tail it back to New York and find a real barracuda type lawyer and take rich Quentin to the cleaners.  I could not believe she was sobbing she had nothing to live for.  Divorce him, take his money and cry all the way to the bank.
Oh YEAH! Collinwood would definately be MINE! He'd be lucky to scrounge up the cash for a camper and a rusty old Corvair to pull it with...muhahahahaha! >:D
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 10:39:55 PM »
Maggie's imbecile posturing also ruins the concept of Cyrus/Yeagar's obsession with her, for me at least.  It doesn't really help matters that the obsession seems pretty much to come out of nowhere.
Exactly! He holds her hand, he smells her gloves...voila! The idiot's obsessed!  ???
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 12:49:04 AM »
As much as I like the looks of Quentin and Maggie as a couple, their PT characters remind me of my best friend and his SO.  No matter what one says, the other one turns it into a fight.

"Isn't the sky really blue today?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"What do you mean, what do you mean?  I was just saying..."

"I know what you were saying!"

"I didn't say anything!  I said..."

"It's how you said it!"

And it goes on and on.  And there ain't even a living-dead witch involved.

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 01:02:11 PM »
As much as I like the looks of Quentin and Maggie as a couple, their PT characters remind me of my best friend and his SO.  No matter what one says, the other one turns it into a fight.

"Isn't the sky really blue today?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"What do you mean, what do you mean?  I was just saying..."

"I know what you were saying!"

"I didn't say anything!  I said..."

"It's how you said it!"

And it goes on and on.  And there ain't even a living-dead witch involved.

Gerard,

I think that Mr. and Mrs. Collins could be the subject of one of those articles that appears in the lifestyle section of the newspaper:

"Maggie and Quentin: Can This Marriage Be Saved?"

However, I think the more relevant question is/should be:

"Maggie and Quentin: Should This Marriage Be Saved?"

As to Parallel Time Roger Collins, I know that he is a no good, s.o.b./lush, but, you have to admit that he does have a deliciously inspired, mordant wit.  (In comparing Maggie to Angelique: "Like comparing a mouse to a sable.")  And, of course, Roger articulates his well chosen words/insults with such flair and style!

Yes, PT Roger does have an "affection for accuracy," although, sitting around the great house of Collinwood all day, getting "expletive deleted-faced," does give one ample time to come up with all of these caustic comments/observations.   So, I guess that it's begrudging kudos to PT Roger Collins, the Oscar Levant of Dark Shadows!

Bob the Bartender, who, regretably feels that Maggie and Quentin's attendance at a Cursillo and/or Couples for Christ Meeting, would ultimately be a "Mission Impossible."

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2003, 02:18:10 PM »
I can imagine Quentin and Maggie at a Marriage Encounter weekend explaining their troubles to the other couples.  "Well, you see - there's this witch hanging around the house...."

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2003, 05:19:33 PM »
I can imagine Quentin and Maggie at a Marriage Encounter weekend explaining their troubles to the other couples.  "Well, you see - there's this witch hanging around the house...."

LOL!  I once helped put together a Marriage Encounter weekend, and that actually wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Back when my mother was still alive more than a year ago, and I was helping to care for her (Alzheimer's), when I had moments to spare I worked on a little hobby just for my own distraction:  my own version of Charles Delaware Troll's what-could've-happened-if-the-show-continued, with an episode-by-episode guide.  I got as far as 1975 before I petered out.  But one of the plots had Barnabas returning to PT for long, convoluted reasons.  There he found the survivors, meaning principly Quentin, Maggie, Daniel and Amy living in the Loomis House [spoiler](Collinwood had burned to the ground as seen in the last episode of PT.)[/spoiler]Not only are the traumatized members of the shattered family still trying to put their lives back together, and Quentin focusing on the various businesses, but both Quentin and Maggie confess to Barnabas that neither trusts each other, and feel that each is trying to gaslight the other.  Barnabas discovers that there is more going on than the two of them being naturally paranoid, that there is some gaslighting going on.  So who's the culprit?  Quentin?  Maggie?  Or somebody else?  [spoiler](Don't forget a certain short-haired brunette.)[/spoiler]It was fun writing it, and a way to focus my mind and escape while going through all that.

Gerard

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2003, 07:50:34 PM »
as much as i love the show i can't watch too much of this
first of all KLS hardly looks mousy and this is such a waste
of Selby's talents.he just runs around screaming [eek] would have
been a better role for RD!also Yeager is just so GROSS he has NO CHARM!i don't believe any woman would have benn remotely
interested in him!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2003, 08:01:57 PM »
............ and this is such a waste of Selby's talents.he just runs around screaming [eek] would have been  a better role for RD!

Makes you wonder, doesn't it......that a character who generated as much adulation as Quentin couldn't get a decently written script?  Curtis knew how important David Selby was.....why on earth did he allow the character of PT Quentin to devolve into such a pathetic, witless twit?  Angelexis works him like a puppeteer and Hoffman runs his house like a Mother Superior.  Who IS this man?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2003, 01:56:21 AM »
as much as i love the show i can't watch too much of this
first of all KLS hardly looks mousy
Wow!...I think she looks more beautiful than ever.
and this is such a waste
of Selby's talents.he just runs around screaming [eek] would have
been  a better role for RD!also Yeager is just so GROSS he has NO CHARM!
too true

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2003, 02:03:58 AM »
Of all the different characters DS had, I think Yaeger is the most artificial looking person on that show.  Looks like he is dressed up for Halloween.  Looks fakey and madeup.  I don't like that part of this story anyway.  I Know that this is late sixties early seventies but Yaegers makeup is awful.  He wouldn't be believable to me if I met up with him in the street. God forbid.

Well enough complaining from me for today.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.