Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #286 - Final Island Weekend Recap  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #286 - Final Island Weekend Recap
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »
**** LATEST UPDATE:
DARK SHADOWS FESTIVAL PRESENTS: DARK SHADOWS ISLAND WEEKEND
APRIL 27-28, 2013

Recent SG Online Updates have premiere-announced details for "The Dark Shadows Island Weekend" at the end of this month on the idyllic island of Coronado, just off downtown San Diego.

Here is a final recap of the 2-day events. Please note that fans may attend either Saturday or Sunday, or both days.

---- SATURDAY, APRIL 27
"DOCTOR MABUSE" MOVIE PREMIERE WITH DS ACTORS
6:00pm - Midnight

CORONADO VILLAGE THEATRE
820 Orange Ave.
Coronado, CA 9211

A few tickets remain for the debut screening of the new mystery thriller film "Doctor Mabuse." It stars a trio of original DS actors: Jerry Lacy (in the title role), Lara Parker, and Kathryn Leigh Scott. The evening event is at the vintage Coronado Village Theatre, a few blocks from the Coronado Marriott Hotel. Taxi service is available.

The premiere night begins at 6:00pm with pre-show actor appearances. Movie merchandise and DS collectibles will be available for purchase. After the screening, the actors and filmmaker Ansel Faraj will host a talk/panel, followed by autographs.

The evening concludes with a surprise DS screening before midnight.

Tickets are $20.00 per person, available by mail order only. Advance reservations are required and must be received at the DS Festival's postal-mail address below by April 23 (extended deadline from previously-announced April 20).

NOTE: If your ticket payment arrives after April 23, your tickets will be held under your name at the Coronado Theatre box office for pick-up on Sat., April 27, when you arrive at the theatre.

Please send a SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope) and check or money order made payable to:

Dark Shadows
PO Box 92
Maplewood, NJ 07040
(Sorry, PayPal and credit card can not be accepted.)

---- SUNDAY, APRIL 28
DARK SHADOWS LUNCHEON & AFTERNOON FESTIVAL
11:30am-6:00pm

CORONADO ISLAND MARRIOTT HOTEL & RESORT
2000 Second St.
Coronado, CA 92118

DAVID SELBY (Quentin) has written a special 90-minute musical stage program "Shadows & Light" that he will perform, with musical accompaniment by his DS colleague JAMES STORM (Gerard) and David's wife Chip. "The songs are an homage to DS and the FANS."

David's show is part of the day-long "DS Luncheon" event at the Coronado Marriott Hotel, located five minutes from downtown San Diego. The hotel is 1.3 miles from the Coronado Village Theatre, site of the previous evening's "Doctor Mabuse" world premiere movie screening.

The Luncheon with our guests and fans begins at 11:30am with a three-course meal, door prizes, and a special DS gift bag for each attendee. Dress is casual.

David's show takes place in the same ballroom, after lunch. Following the show is a DS memorabilia auction, plus Question & Answer sessions with all our guests: David, James, Lara Parker (Angelique), Jerry Lacy (Rev. Trask), Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie), and Chris Pennock (Jeb). Our guests then will be available for autographs, and a wide array of new and recent DS merchandise will be on sale. The event ends at 6:00 pm.

Advance reservations are required for only $50.00 per person and MUST be received by April 23 (extended deadline from previously-announced April 20). Please send a SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope) and check or money order payable to:

Dark Shadows, PO Box 92, Maplewood, NJ 07040
FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE: You can use one SASE and one check/money order to pay for both Saturday and Sunday events

(Sorry, PayPal and credit card can not be accepted.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #286 - Final Island Weekend Recap
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:40:24 PM »
I am very intrigued by David Selby's new stage show. Wonder if he'll be performing it elsewhere? I would love to see it.

Looking forward to reports, if anybody who posts here is actually attending.  The logistics make my head hurt.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 12:23:26 AM »
b.t.w. is anybody here actually attending "the cruise"?

I haven't heard a peep about it in weeks and it must be coming up. [easter_undecided]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 03:07:59 AM »
I hope "the cruise" is even a minimal success.  It's something different than the usual New York/Los Angeles/New York/Los Angeles/New York/Los Angeles/New York/Los Angeles thing that has been going on for the past sixty-seventy years.

Big news:  not everyone lives within a ten-mile radious of New York or Los Angeles.  Most people who love DS live elsewhere.  I went to only one DS festival in New York and that's only because the weekend they had it I was returning to New York from - is anyone ready for this? - a cruise to Bermuda, the same place that the fest organizers are trying different this year. 

If I have to pay big bucks to go to another DS festivel, it had better be something different than a Brooklyn hotel or some place in the middle of nowhere in Los Angeles where the only food comes from a middle-of-nowhere-"cafe" in a hotel cast aside a cloverleaf of LA freeways.

I'm sick of NYC/LA/NYC/LA/NYC/LA, and in both places where they hold it has nothing to offer except rip-off prices.  If I had the funds and the time, I'd be on that cruise.  I don't care about another semi-fest in some California "resort" charging exorbitant prices, or trecking to Lyndhurst for the umpteenth-millionth time.  Okay, it's Lyndhurst, we get it.  How about a DS festival in Newport, RI or Essex, CT?  How about something different than the same-old-same-old over and over and over again?  The cruise is something different.  But I will not fly to LA and spend a weekend in a hotel where a "diner" is open only 15 minutes a day and charge $40 for a grilled-cheese sandwich.  Yes, I know you west-coast and east-coast people get to enjoy it every other year, but there are those of us in-between who don't care to sample what you have to offer year after year after year.  I know the cost of a cruise is prohibitive to many (even though, day for day, it's a lot cheaper than what the Brooklyn and airport-LA hotels charge - I'm sorry, but I'm not going to pay over a hundred dollars a day, at a reduced "DS" discount dontchyaknow, to stay in a hotel room where I spend time sleeping, going potty and showering when I could do all that for a lot less a day while enjoying the luxury of a cruise liner) but look at the bigger factors.

May the cruise be a big success, despite the nay-sayers.  May all the other "competive festivals" be as equally successful.  Just, please, do something different than NYC/LA/NYC/LA/NYC/LA year after year after year after year (and everything within all their environs).

Okay, enough of my kvetching.  Have fun for those going on the cruise.  Have fun going to that island thing.  Have fun those going on whatever else is being done.  Just have fun. 

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 03:52:15 AM »
The cruise isn't until October.  There has been more reporting about the San Diego thing because it is coming right up now.

I would presume, pace the cruise, that they would need to have a minimum number of bookings in place by x date to make it feasible.  If they fail to garner that minimum, presumably we just won't hear anymore about the cruise.  (I don't know any of this for a fact--it is speculation on my part.)

Best, G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 11:53:21 AM »
as the stereotypically self-possessed new yorker I've been content with the old-school biannual festival...

true it's repetitive but in terms of DS it has what i'm looking for. a full weekend chock-a-block of activity, film and video, full dealers room and the full cast. the cruise is too MUCH. by contrast all of these little broken up mini-events, a day here and there with "luncheon"(you just know is a rubber-chicken special)and maybe attended by a couple of(tertiary)actors is just too LITTLE to make it worth the time and effort.

I don't trek out to LA when it's their year. I can't justify that expense to hear some fan ask lara parker some obscure plot detail from half a century ago or have kls try and pitch me her latest literary masterwork. but if it's "in town" so to speak it's an amusing(if slightly exhausting)way to spend a weekend and pick up a few trinkets.

it is what it is. the format or location doesn't need to be fresh or imaginative for my personal purposes.

David

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 01:31:58 PM »
in 2008, HODS & NODS were screened at the grand, historic Castro Theater here in San Francisco, with Kathryn & Lara in attendance--800 locals showed up.
The Castro has a sizable lobby and a huge lounge area on the second floor, an event like the 2008 one with more cast members could work.
It could include a day tour of the city with cast members.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »
How about a DS festival in Newport, RI...?
NEWPORT, NEWPORT, WE WANT NEWPORT!!!!!!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 02:08:55 PM »
b.t.w. is anybody here actually attending "the cruise"?

I haven't heard a peep about it in weeks and it must be coming up. [easter_undecided]

I wouldn't attach too much significance to any lack of buzz about the cruise yet. I'd assume it's been back-burnered until the LA event is over. It will be interesting to see what comes up in the next few months though. I wish them well with it; if it weren't be held at an impossible time for me, I'd be on it.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 02:50:09 PM »
I get that it's still several months off and will likely gather steam as it approaches(assuming it actually takes place)...

but it's just odd that I haven't heard anyone at this board actually say that they are going. not one person as I recall. [easter_undecided]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 03:11:28 PM »
The West Coast event this year is in the city of Coronado-- in San Diego County, not LA.  The last LA Festival was in 2010, when the newly remodeled Burbank Marriott was nicely set up for after-hour socializing.  My only complaint is that Marriott bars out here tend to close up hours before the 2 am last call at other places.  But I've dropped by its restaurant often when I'm in the Burbank area, yet if you're staying there, you only have to cross the street if inexpensive and/or fast food is your preference.

michael, a couple of friends on the board have put in their deposits for the cruise, but that's all that I've heard about.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 09:58:17 PM »
thanks midnite...

although it departs out of new york the cruise is a bit more than I want to deal with. although i'll be curious to hear about it from those in attendance.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 10:21:44 PM »
I hope the cruise is a success so it opens the door for other possibilities as Gerard mentioned instead of the back and forth coast.  I love NYC but am open to other areas as well.  This particular year the cruise did not fit my budget or timing.  From the FB event page it sounds like they have some fun things planned last I checked.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"