Author Topic: John Yeager...what can I say.  (Read 6049 times)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
John Yeager...what can I say.
« on: July 16, 2003, 07:35:10 PM »
Allright, were going to take this scene of John YeagerCyrus Longworth and Maggie Collins PT, very slowly.

John Yeager had phoned Maggie that if she wanted to know more about Angeliques 'murder', that she (Maggie) would have to meet him at the docks.  So Yeager waits and here comes Maggie.  They talk, Maggie turns around, and Yeager clamped his hand on her mouth..now STOP.

Yeagers face was full of ecstasy.  He's licking his lips, his eyes are half closed, and his voice is like Frank Sinatra's.  He moved behind her like Pete Townsend rapes his guitar. [lick]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:John Yeager...what can I say.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 08:46:55 PM »
Haven't been watching DS lately. Until today. I forgot how unbelievably seedy and creepy Yaeger was with the Magster.

Squicks me out, but oddly fascinating to watch  8)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 09:23:20 PM »
Haven't been watching DS lately. Until today. I forgot how unbelievably seedy and creepy Yaeger was with the Magster.

Squicks me out, but oddly fascinating to watch  8)

he really is gross like William Dafoe in Wild at Heart? [puke] i have a hard time watching them [puke]

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 09:59:49 PM »
The first time I saw this scene (I was twelve) my [jawdrp] to the floor. I believe it was the first time I had ever seen something this repulsive with sexaul overtones on TV. The fact that it was on DS and happening to Maggie amplified my disgust and shock.

dom

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 10:36:20 PM »
After reading KLS' diary from her experience making the first DS film, I have to wonder whether having to suffer through this storyline was how DC paid her back for her comments on his plans to have her new love interest on the show portrayed by Roger Davis (who played Maggie's boyfriend in the movie, but not on the series).

It all puts a new spin on KLS' decision to move to Paris shortly after this storyline!

G.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 01:35:32 AM »
It all puts a new spin on KLS' decision to move to Paris shortly after this storyline!

poor girl probaly could not leave town fast enough [eek]
i'd take any of RD's men over Yeager anyday! [eek]

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 02:11:29 AM »
 :o I, too, couldn't believe the scene I was watching; yet, I have no recollection of this scene in the past. And I've seen the series through several times. I can only gather that I'm more aware of scenes of a sexual nature now than I was back in 1970. I didn't expect anything riske then so I probably assumed Yaeger was just acting nervous. HA!
                                                                         Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 03:18:24 AM »
As wretched as Yeager's behavior is, I'm pretty shocked at Cyrus.  The repressed scientist is losing his grip even when he's not changing.  Yeager is meant to be evil, so I expect nastiness from him, but watching Cyrus get friendly with Maggie's gloves was even creepier than the scene by the docks, IMO.

DS does seem to be turning darker in parallel time with the earlier implied rape of Buffie and now Yeager's attack on Maggie (the only comparable event I can think of was a time when Adam dragged Carolyn to the floor and demanded that she love him, but even that wasn't as forceful as the PT scenes.)  Nevertheless, it's still subtle enough not to be flagrant.  If this show were a product of today's standards, I know it would be much more graphic.

ProfStokes

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 04:30:42 AM »
Yes, that scene at the docks WAS creepy.  And for pure perversion, DS style, it would be hard to beat an upcoming scene with Yeager.  My memory is foggy with the details here, but IIRC, he steals Maggie's hairbrush and in once scene practically salivates on it!

I think the writers are doing a good job with Yeager.  They're taking the extra steps to show that this isn't just a bad guy, but a truly evil and perverted man.

Bernie

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2003, 08:33:50 AM »
As wretched as Yeager's behavior is, I'm pretty shocked at Cyrus.  The repressed scientist is losing his grip even when he's not changing.  Yeager is meant to be evil, so I expect nastiness from him, but watching Cyrus get friendly with Maggie's gloves was even creepier than the scene by the docks, IMO.

You're right, Cyrus' behavior is getting worse by the day!  And just where is his fiancee Sabrina?
It seems as if his alter ego, John Yeager is starting to take over his own personality.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2003, 09:13:00 PM »
Yeah, I could not BELIEVE that scene with Yaeger and Maggie in the alley.  I had to rewind the tape in order to prove to my unbelieving eyes that yes, he WAS dry humping her from behind!

It just beggars belief that Dark Shadows got away with something like this back in 1970.  Glad I didn't see this as a kid, it might have warped me.  Even more.  ::)
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2003, 11:36:35 PM »
Yeah, I could not BELIEVE that scene with Yaeger and Maggie in the alley.  I had to rewind the tape in order to prove to my unbelieving eyes that yes, he WAS dry humping her from behind!

I wonder how much of that was an "ad lib" on Pennock's part...I have a hard time thinking that was written in to the script.  :o

MrsJ.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2003, 12:03:44 AM »
It might not have been written in the script, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been an instruction from the director.  I never catch credits so I have no idea who it was....but perhaps s/he felt that Yaeger's character wasn't being served by the dialogue and decided to illustrate how despicable he was by actions instead.

One thing I think we can be sure of.....if it was solely Chris Pennock's idea, and no one else thought it worked,  he could not have kept on doing it.  Can't picture DC putting up with insubordination.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2003, 12:47:42 AM »
I thought it was darn racy considering the age of the audience and the time of day it was on.  This scene not only played at the end one day but was the beginning scene the next day.  John Yeager is absolutely the most repulsive character DS every had.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2003, 04:38:28 PM »
John Yeager is absolutely the most repulsive character DS every had.

I'm sure that was the whole point.  >:D

Yeager was the only "human" antagonist in DS that ever particularly scared me as a young 'un... Bad nose and all. Thank God they got over that lil phase quickly.  :o

--Mark