Author Topic: Used to watch DS in 60's  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Used to watch DS in 60's
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2002, 02:32:35 AM »
Ah yes, I was a fan of DS in the 60's too.  I was 13 years old, in Jr. High.  I used to rush home from the bus so that I wouldn't miss a minute of it.  My mom got me started, I think she watched because Joan Bennett was on it.  
Now I watch it on the Sci-Fi station through our Broadband cable.  My 12 year son is getting interested in it too.  He sits here and eats his breakfast while it's on.  He keeps asking me questions then saying he's confused.... ?!? switching over from present time to 1795.  It airs here from 7am til 8am pacific time.  I get to watch all but the last 10 minutes of the 2nd episode before I have to leave to take him to school.   :)
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2002, 03:19:53 AM »
I love this board and the intelligent posts

You may need to skip most of mine :-[
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2002, 06:42:15 AM »
WE only had 1 tv(like most people hard to believenow)
and my mother too wanted to watch old Art but we finally won because it kept us busy for a while She thought the show was crap too Gerard anfd couldn't
believe Joan B would be on it!LOL

jennifer
if i told hert i was still watching it i swear she would have me committed but hey she watches CSpan all the time
which is just as spooky!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2002, 06:54:37 AM »
Jennifer,
             My mother thinks I am nuts for still watching DS never mind that I dragged my family to the festival last summer.  Luckily, she had her own portable TV in the kitchen so I had free reign as a child to the "big" TV in the living room.  I use to watch it first at I think 3;30 than a very fuzzy episode at 4;00 from some station out of the bunny ears range.  Of course, one of the shows was from the day before but I didn't care.  She was cool though and let me decorate my room in posters from l6 mag. of my DS crushes.  
            It is kind of strange for my extented family to know I am still a "Shadows" fan.  Family, friends, co-workers think it is a little bit over the top, but they figure we all have our little oddities.

Birdie--who's family knows she is nuts
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2002, 07:16:01 AM »
I remember watching the very first episode of DS; I was 7 years old, and we were at my grandparents' in Georgia. A creepy soap opera was just the most fantastic thing a young feller could imagine. Well, when we came back home to Virginia, we found that the local ABC affiliate wasn't running DS. Devastation! I bawled enough so that my folks called the station to request they air the show. A valiant but fruitless attempt.

Now, the Lynchburg ABC station carried DS, but you had to have cable to get that station in our area. And in 1966, few homes had cable. A couple of friends of mine did, though, so I'd go to their houses every chance I got to watch it. I even sneaked over to the neighbors' house and watched an episode through their window one time.

Then, in 1969, my folks finally got cable, and joy of joys...DS in my very own home. It was right at the start of the Leviathans episodes. I've always had a soft spot for the Leviathans, I think, because those episodes were the first ones I got to watch on a regular basis. The heavy breathing behind the door scared me enough to keep me awake late at night; it's a wonder my parents let me keep watching it.

There are a lot of aspects of DS that appeal to more mature audiences, and when I've watched the show in recent years, those elements have stood out for me, whereas I think I was occasionally bored by them as a young'un (particularly in 1841 PT).

--Mark