Author Topic: dom, MB & Midnite  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
dom, MB & Midnite
« on: July 12, 2003, 08:17:39 PM »
WELCOME BACK!!!!

I missed you 3 the most/you were gone the longest.

Dom...your avatar was 5 & 3/8ths a hoot!!!!!

Where did you 3 get your moving avatars? (Or if you told me, would you have to shoot me?  ;))

Patti

PS>>>MB...After I cursed you I think yesterday (Fri?) so YOU TOO got to the 300th mark, I went to curse?? someone else, but a message: Patti, you've cursed more than 60 people this week, take it easy (or some such thing). I don't think I cursed 60 people in a 6 or 7 day period...was this part of the 'switching' week?
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:dom, MB & Midnite
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 02:56:47 AM »
PS>>>MB...After I cursed you I think yesterday (Fri?) so YOU TOO got to the 300th mark, I went to curse?? someone else, but a message: Patti, you've cursed more than 60 people this week, take it easy (or some such thing). I don't think I cursed 60 people in a 6 or 7 day period...was this part of the 'switching' week?

There really is a 60 casts limit, but it isn't measured over a weekly period. It's however long it takes someone to accumulate 60 casts and then they have to wait a full week before they can begin using the Karma feature again. I haven't looked into how many times you've used the feature and am just replying to explain its purpose.

We've been saying all along that the feature has been very popular among a majority of our members.  And we've taken a LOT of heat for saying that from some members that refuse to believe this is possible-- we've heard complaints that it's only being used by a handful of people with an axe to grind, been asked if we pad our own and others' totals in order to back up our claim, and we've even been directly accused of lying because, as one member told me, "everybody hates it and nobody is using it".  But the reason we instituted the limits, initially on its use per day and soon after on its accumulated usage is because, as we've been trying to tell everybody, it's a very popular feature and some members had been using it as many as 50, 60, 70 times a day... even as much as 100 times in a visit.  We're pleased that many are enjoying the feature and the anonymity of its use remains, but limits became necessary from our perspective because as you can imagine, the db became cluttered with karma information, all of which has to be deleted on a regular basis in order to free up space.  So we still welcome the use and enjoyment of the karma feature and assure everyone that we have no interest in misrepresenting or misusing it, and despite the hassle it has caused for us we still contend it is meant as a fun feature, but the limits relieve us of a lot of work, particularly our webmaster.

Sorry you asked?  ;)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 03:11:20 AM »
But....I never had the message too many CURES (is it just for curses, but this week, curses were kinda cures)?

Patti the non German macramaist(sp)
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 03:37:06 AM »
Where did you 3 get your moving avatars? (Or if you told me, would you have to shoot me?  ;))

No shooting necessary. ;) I found them on the Web. There are all sorts of Web sites whose sole purpose is to make avatars available for people to use on forums like ours. In fact, the YaBB SE home site has its own selection. Check out Avatar Gallery

I went to curse?? someone else, but a message: Patti, you've cursed more than 60 people this week, take it easy (or some such thing). I don't think I cursed 60 people in a 6 or 7 day period

Actually, the message (as it appears in the error log) reads:

Code: [Select]
Patti, you have reached your Karma casting limit. We really appreciate your enthusiasm! However, so that no one member can overly determine the fates in any given period, members are limited to casting no more than 60 times during that period. You will be able to cast once again in 5.8949 days.<p align=center>Thank you for supporting Dark Shadows Forums!</p>
And believe me, you're far from the first person to receive it.

There's also a daily limit. If you were to receive it, it would say:

Code: [Select]
Patti, you have reached your Karma casting limit for today. We really appreciate your enthusiasm! However, so that no one member can overly determine the fates today, members are limited to casting no more than 20 times per 24 hours. You will be able to cast once again as soon as you return to the forum on or after 12am GMT (8pm EDT, 7pm CDT, 6pm MDT and 5pm PDT in the US) or, in the cases of members for whom you've most recently cast, once 24 hours has elapsed since the time you last cast for them.<p align=center>Thank you for supporting Dark Shadows Forums!</p>
But....I never had the message too many CURES (is it just for curses, but this week, curses were kinda cures)?

It's not limited to cures or curses. It could be 60 cures, 60 curses or any combination thereof. Once someone has used Karma 60 times in any combination over any period of time, the limitation feature kicks in and starts counting down 7 days from the time that person last used Karma. ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 03:52:51 AM »
Check out Avatar Gallery

LOL, did you know they have an Abe Vigoda avatar?

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 10:06:22 PM »
No shooting necessary. ;) I found them on the Web. There are all sorts of Web sites whose sole purpose is to make avatars available for people to use on forums like ours. In fact, the YaBB SE home site has its own selection. Check out (URL)

I went to the link; I didn't see the ones the b**ch had, you sir nor DOM.

Also...are they available 'for the taking'?

(I wanted to send a specific one in a ds e-mail to someone...is this allowed/doable?)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2003, 11:01:25 PM »
I went to the link; I didn't see the ones the b**ch had, you sir nor DOM.

Well, I didn't say that they all came from there. ;)

You won't actually find Evil Bunny anywhere but here. When I found it, it was cute and it wasn't animated. I turned it evil and animated it for Midnite back when we were first planning the SP version of the forum (when I still had enough free time to do that sort of thing ;)).

I "borrowed" the avatar I was using from Midnite's son. About three months ago he had been using it as his avatar on his SP forum. I told him how much I liked it and asked if he didn't mind if I used it here sometime. It was fine with him - particularly because he isn't even using it anymore.

However, Dom's avatar did come from YaBB SE's gallery. But I honestly don't remember which category I found it in.

Also...are they available 'for the taking'?

Yup. :)

(I wanted to send a specific one in a ds e-mail to someone...is this allowed/doable?)

Do you mean that you'd like to send it to someone here on the forum in an instant message?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2003, 11:55:59 PM »

UGH!!  Vile, wretched things!!

How DO you people stand them?  [nerv]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 02:52:15 AM »
Yes MB (insert in IM). Is this possible?

Also, can I ??? dowload/uplink it to my harddrive my my own (non-YaBB/SP) use?

Patti
What a Woman!

Nancy

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2003, 04:27:48 PM »

Midnite wrote:
We've been saying all along that the feature has been very popular among a majority of our members.  And we've taken a LOT of heat for saying that from some members that refuse to believe this is possible-- we've heard complaints that it's only being used by a handful of people with an axe to grind, been asked if we pad our own and others' totals in order to back up our claim, and we've even been directly accused of lying because, as one member told me, "everybody hates it and nobody is using it".

Obviously people are using the feature otherwise the whole debate would not have even gotten started.  I think anytime someone thinks a feature is part of some widespread conspiracy to rig a popularity contest against singled out individuals on a message board (one of zillions on the internet) that someone needs to go out, get some sun and have some fun.  Fan users are only that - fan users.  I don't think any of us would put this message board down as a personal reference to show how credible or trustworthy we are considered by other people.  It's all about opinions - much like theater, film, and TV critics.  Saying a post is good or bad doesn't necessarily make it the truth.  It's an opinion and nothing more, IMO. :-*  You either buy it or you don't and move on.

Nancy