Author Topic: Why is this Angelique such a bumbling imcompetent?  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Why is this Angelique such a bumbling imcompetent?
« on: July 12, 2003, 02:59:40 AM »
....Not that RT Angelique couldn't screw up royally when she tried!  :P

But honestly, poppets are Witchcraft 101!....any Witch who can't prick a poppet without killing the intended victim needs to hang up her  [zoom]  and go back for lessons.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Why is this Angelique such a bumbling imcompetent?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 09:27:43 AM »
any Witch who can't prick a poppet without killing the intended victim needs to hang up her  [zoom]  and go back for lessons.

Perhaps her skills are a bit rusty after lying in a coffin for six months. ;) Or maybe she never was as "talented" as she'd like to think she is...

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 02:47:53 PM »
Perhaps her skills are a bit rusty after lying in a coffin for six months. ;) Or maybe she never was as "talented" as she'd like to think she is...
Angelexis is talented alright! Witchcraft just isn't her forte.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 03:25:17 PM »
.....I don't know Carol......

She never manages to hold on to a man.....just how good can her "forte" be?
  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2003, 06:44:56 PM »
.....I don't know Carol......She never manages to hold on to a man.....just how good can her "forte" be?  ::)

Well, she has a talent for vexing men. I just didn't say which talent was her specialty.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2003, 07:12:00 PM »
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2003, 07:41:32 PM »

But honestly, poppets are Witchcraft 101!....any Witch who can't prick a poppet without killing the intended victim needs to hang up her  [zoom]  and go back for lessons.

Cassandra must've been out sick the day they covered never turning your back to the door while sticking pins, especially if you startle easily. [chkyy]

This Angelique is definitely different from her RT counterpart.  Though the latter's powers seemed to go through the roof after dying I think we can assume her time off this world was spent in hell, whereas the former just laid in her coffin in some sort of suspended animation.

And when this Ange gets cornered, does she fight back with a spell like we've seen the other one do countless times?  No, she runs to her stepdaddy.  And WAIT til you meet him! :D

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 12:20:37 AM »
Well, at least she's consistant in both timelines.  She can't reverse a curse... ::)
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.

Offline Rydell

• "It's an old, family name."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2003, 01:48:40 AM »
Perhaps Angelique doesn't really have such good control of her powers.  She bumbles 'cause she doesn't know what she's doing.
IMO, I think she was surprised to find that in a fit of anger she could turd Barn into a vampire, and even more surprised to find that she couldn't turn him back to human.  I really think she would have turned him back, way back when, if she could.
"To be is to do." - Socrates
"To do is to be." - Sartre
"Do be do be do." - Sinatra

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2003, 04:20:54 AM »
I think her power lies in batting her baby blue eyes.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2003, 05:23:09 AM »
I think her power lies in batting her baby blue eyes.

You're definitely right there, Tanis. ;) As a witch, she's inept - but she "had" practically every man in Collinsport enamoured of her.

Funny how only one man seemed to see through her facade...

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2003, 05:58:22 AM »

It appeared to me Angeleixs applied much to much pressure with that long pin, she needs a lighter touch with her Quentin doll    :)

Sarah's [ghost]
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2003, 09:26:50 PM »
Angelique of our own time band certainly had her fair share of incompetence.  The Dream Curse, apart from being poorly realized by the budget-strapped production crew, was unbelievably clunky and flaw-ridden.  As a junior witch, that whole fiasco she perpetrated with the ghost of Jeremiah was simply laughable.  It bothered me last Spring when I was watching 1795 and the writers simply DROPPED that whole storyline.  There was no explanation at all as to why the ghost stopped haunting Angelique--I got the feeling that DC simply got bored with it.

There were a lot of other instances in which poor judgement or sheer stupidity got her into trouble.  The way she handled Joe Haskell when she was a vampire wasn't just cruel; it was really quite boneheaded.  If she wanted him dead, she should have just done the job herself.

This kind of thing is why the insistence of so many fan writers upon depicting Angelique as "SuperWitch" used to drive me crazy back when I was still reading DS fanfic.  Even in 1840, Angelique didn't use her powers very expertly, when supposedly she had been wandering the world for 45 years and should have had the chance to work out the kinks.  I suspect her of having been one of those Witches so desperately convinced of her own innate superiority, she never bothered with magickal homework or the kind of exercises most Witches do to keep themselves on their toes.

G.

Offline MrsJ

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2003, 02:22:16 AM »
I am not particularly an Angelique fan, but having said that...one of the reasons she is an interesting character (to me) is because of her less-than-proficient track record where witchcraft is concerned.  Despite her powers, she is continually at the mercy of her own emotions, which prove to be her undoing time after time.  And no one took advantage of that better than Nicholas Blair.  ;)

MrsJ.

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2003, 02:44:06 AM »
Angelique always go rushing headlong into something without thinking it through.  She strikes me as a bumbling incompetent at witchcraft.  It's more like she's just dabbling in the art.  After 200 years, don't you think she should know her 'craft'??

Oh...Nicholas...love when he gets her goat.
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.