Author Topic: Lost Blooper - Does Anybody Know  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Lost Blooper - Does Anybody Know
« on: July 09, 2003, 03:02:20 PM »
Yesterday, Tony, the university systems guy, knocked on my office door to deliver a new, upgraded computer.  As he was transferring my files from the old to the new cpu, he noticed "DARK SHADOWS FORUMS" in my "Favorites" menu.   "Wow, I used to run home from school to watch that show!" he exclaimed.  And that's when I discovered yet another DS fan among my midst.

Tony described a blooper that he swears he and his mom had seen during the original run, but that I don't recall seeing (either in the MPI compilation video or from my modest personal recall).  He described a seance during which the walls of the set, which were flimsy to begin with, collapsed.  He could give no other details.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Ben

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re:Lost Blooper - Does Anybody Know
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 03:46:07 PM »
several people at work noticed the people mag with fav vampires
and remarked that they watched the show as kids. when i said how i was still trying to get to NY that W/E for the fest
they looked at me like i said i joined a cult![eek] LOL !

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 04:40:25 PM »

they looked at me like i said i joined a cult![eek] LOL !

jennifer

My husband will come upstairs where 'puter is and say, "Oh gosh, she's there with her cult" (referring to this Board)!!!

Can't say that scene seems familiar...but it would be funny if it were around!!

Patti

MB & Midnite & dom:

MB...for you...Iron B***ard....I picture you, with old fashion apron, at a forge, with a bellows...while listening to Jethro Tull.

Midnite....where did your father & I go wrong?  ;D

Jennifer....do you want me to come kick some butt? (Calling you that name).

Dom....I won't even tell what I thought your name would be :-X

Patti

PS...I tried a variety of things...I wanted to put the roll eyes smiley next to Midnite's comment....wouldn't come out??
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 05:29:11 PM »
Yesterday, Tony, the university systems guy, knocked on my office door to deliver a new, upgraded computer.  As he was transferring my files from the old to the new cpu, he noticed "DARK SHADOWS FORUMS" in my "Favorites" menu.   "Wow, I used to run home from school to watch that show!" he exclaimed.  And that's when I discovered yet another DS fan among my midst.

Neat!  Systems guy, eh?  Can we recruit him to help MB? ;)  Er, IB.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Collapse, no, but I wouldn't be surprised if they shook during a seance.

Midnite....where did your father & I go wrong?  ;D

PS...I tried a variety of things...I wanted to put the roll eyes smiley next to Midnite's comment....wouldn't come out??

LOL

Works for me now, so maybe it was a temporary glitch.

IB (the other one) [frkoff]

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 06:16:34 PM »
 ???Having seen the reruns through at least 3 times in addition to 75% of the original, I know I haven't seen the walls collapse. THAT I would remember. However, I must say that I see new bloopers each time I see the shows. Possibility here (slim though it is) that I did miss it.
       As far as being considered "Weird" for watching DS, I understand. I'm bringing my daughter to the fest with me and she's absolutely certain this is a convention of Gothics.
                                                     Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 02:27:33 AM »
I don't think there was a blooper of that magnitude; although it was rare to re-shoot a scene when it blooped, they would if it was something that magnimonious I would imagine.  Probably Tony and his mom suffered from what all of us who watched DS in its original 66-71 run:  FDSMS (Faulty Dark Shadows Memory Syndrome).  There were some scenes that I was positive they showed, and they never did.  For example, even though I saw the entire Quentin-haunting-back-to-1897 storyline, I was positive that the cause of the haunting was not Quentin's ghost, but Petofi's consciousness trapped in Quentin's body.  Most likely, I confused [spoiler]the haunting of Collinwood by Judah Zachary in the guise of Gerard Styles[/spoiler] with Quentin's haunting, but it sure seemed that way to me.

Gerard

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 02:50:14 AM »
As far as being considered "Weird" for watching DS, I understand. I'm bringing my daughter to the fest with me and she's absolutely certain this is a convention of Gothics.

One year, my nephew and I went to a DS Fest and his father was very angry because he was convinced that DS and DS fandom were part of a conspiracy to convert people to Satanism!

Regarding that blooper, I suspect that it's an apocryphal story.  I have read, in less-accurate sources, mentions of sets collapsing.  It's probably due to, as Gerard wrote, FDSMS combined with DS' reputation for being a "cheesey" show.  Tales of actual bloopers snowball into exaggerated accounts of on-air catastrophes.

It reminds me of an incident from my film school days.  A classmate cut her finger while editing her film, and as the story circulated, it morphed into a tragic tale in which this classmate lost her finger in a horrible splicer accident.

Regards,

John

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 06:55:31 AM »
Jennifer....do you want me to come kick some butt? (Calling you that name).

why thank you patti but that resident found out what happens to
a twerp that disses an ICU nurse >:D [madan]

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 03:13:37 PM »
Isn't this weird?  today my name is showing up as "Donna."  I would have at least expected "Prima" before the title... would even settle for Seconda... but no, I'm just plain old Donna.  Please, don't expect me to do the Donna Reed thing though.  When I'm on my knees I prefer other activities besides polishing the woodwork.

I think we've all experienced remembering things that weren't there on DS episodes.  Some of the most amusing are the ones that KLS reported in her book My DS Scrapbook Memories, which do not seem to have made it to the actual broadcasts  Having a lamp shatter while she was writing a letter can't have been much fun.  One I was actually looking forward to seeing was the one that Terry Crawford reported about her death scene as Beth Chavez.  She jumped off Widow's Hill, then promptly bounced back into camera shot off the trampoline or whatever they had on the set there.  Fortunately that camera wasn't on feed at the time.

Gothick the Donna

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2003, 03:28:56 PM »
Thank you, all, for your insights.  I was fairly confident that a set collapse would have made it into the bloopers tape or into your astute collective memories.

One thing Tony mentioned -- that seems quite plausible -- was noticing the actors (whoever they were at the time) struggling (not always successfully) to keep straight faces during that seance.  Now might THAT scene ring a bell (or light a candle)?

Ben

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2003, 02:44:51 AM »
There was never an incident where the set actually fell down.  They may shake a lot, but if a set did fall, it would have definately been retaped. It's always been very distressing for me to find that when most people remember DS, they always remember the bad points of the show, and never the good.  They seem to always have some ridiculous memory of a blooper in their mind, like Jonathan Frid's teeth falling out, or some other such thing that never really happened. Never the good things are remembered!

In any event, there was in episode # 1230,  (1841 PT)  a seance scene in the drawing room where the main cast is seated at the table. Alll of a sudden, a stagehand reaches out to close the drawing room doors. He does it rather quickly, and very loudly too. So much so, that it sure sounds like a wall collapsing.  Perhaps this is the scene your friend remembers?

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2003, 03:02:20 AM »
The above post was actually written by doombuggy 69, and not Scott.
I don't know about anyone else here, but I am not really enjoying the "Which Witch" week.  I can't wait for things to go back to normal!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2003, 03:20:26 AM »
I can't wait for things to go back to normal!

What is normal? ;) That which one has come to expect? If so, then cast that restriction aside because this forum never has and never will be "normal." ^-^  When one visits here, the normal thing to do is to always expect the unexpected. [wink2]

IB [diablo]

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2003, 03:27:10 AM »
When one visits here, the normal thing to do is to always expect the unexpected.

Well, I guess I can't argue with that logic Iron Horse.....I mean Iron Bastard!  The changes will take some getting used to ;D

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Blooper - Does Anybody Know
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 02:40:42 AM »
I don't remember that one, but he may have been referring to the time when Quentin pulled a sword off the wall and knocked something over and you could hear a lot of glass shattering off camera. I believe this was early in 1897 ... It's my personal favorite
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"