Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0415  (Read 731 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0415
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:40:45 PM »
Robservations #415

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0415

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 09:25:27 PM »
Sarah hides behind the tombstone and Ben calls for her. Rain is pounding at the drawing room window and the woodwork is wet. I think this is the first time that has been shown. Joan Bennett keeps looking offscreen and Sarah can't talk.  This keeps Sharon from looking offscreen as well for a change. Sarah's door is unlike others at Collinwood and it appears her room must be in the attic. It actually looks more like a room in the old house. Sarah is able to rally and write remarkably well for such a sick girl. The scene takes on a better quality as Barnabas comes in and holds Sarah while she dies and Sharon speaks without looking offscreen.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »
This episode is the saddest of all, so tragic that it's hard to write about. Superlative acting from JF and SS, from everybody, really.

Farewell, Sharon Smyth.

Ben finds Barnabas in the woods. Barnabas admits, with shame, that he hasn't been looking for Sarah. Ben turns away in horror. In his unique and terrible loneliness, Barnabas pleads, Don’t turn away. The things I am doing are not my fault. Ben relents.

Thrilling work by TD as Ben finds poor Sarah, who is unable to speak. Ben understands perfectly about posttraumatic stress disorder, although it wouldn't be called that for two centuries. Gently he persuades her to let him carry her home.

Real water is streaming down the front of the Great House when Ben arrives, carrying Sarah in his arms. Both are soaking wet. Later, Sarah smiles at him from her sickbed.

Once again, Millicent shows her caring side, dotty though she is.

Ben sneaks back to the mausoleum after sunset and tries unsuccessfully to talk Barnabas out of going to see Sarah. Don't tell me what to do! Barnabas snarls at him. Barnabas is hoping that Sarah will realize she has nothing to fear from him. As he goes out, Ben suddenly says, Wait. Barnabas turns around angrily, thinking that Ben will try to dissuade him again, but Ben continues, You'll need my help. Barnabas is still human enough to answer, Thank you.

Ben gives Sarah a new doll, as he promised. This is the very same doll that Sarah will lend to Maggie a long time from now.

At Sarah's bedside, Barnabas can’t help saying the fatal words as he implores her, Please forgive me, Sarah--I love you so. Her last words are a promise that she will keep into eternity: I love you, Barnabas. I always will.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 10:33:48 PM »
I need some help with this. As far as anyone other than Barnabas & Ben knows, Angelique has left town, right? I think that is a fair assumption. But it hasn't been discussed amongst anyone, correct? There has been no mention of Angelique being gone, has there? The only thing I remember being said that even remotely refers to Angelique being gone is Joshua telling Ben that he would come back to work for him -- this in my mind infers that Ange is gone and therefore Ben has no reason to stay employed at the Old House. So, that being said, I remember Millicent, I think, stating that Joshua went to Boston or is 'gone' out of town. So, anybody think he ran off to Boston to empty that bank account he gave Ange the passbook to? Just a funny thought. I do wonder though if the signed contract was found, etc.

Millicent & Naomi - Good scene, well done, but I can't concentrate on anything but the beautiful Joan Bennett. I can't get over how gorgeous she is in this episode (and last episode).

Ben is living proof that life experience is the greatest teacher. He may not be book-smart but he is probably the wisest character on the estate. Another good scene. Barn's hard/evil edge slips away as he shows the soft side we always see where Sarah is concerned. Barn gives us another short speech about life as a vampire. Ben sends Barn back to his sepulchre and Barn sends Ben off to continue his search for Sarah. Unbeknownst to them both, Sarah is hiding behind Jerimiah's grave stone, presumably within earshot of the their conversation. Ben finds her and brings her home in the rain (yes, we actually see the rain trailing on the drawing room windows and both Ben & Sarah are wet as they enter the foyer).

Sarah is sick and Smyth does very well with no lines, lol. All the scenes in Sarah's room (never before or again to be seen as a room at Collinwood?) are good. We get suspense with Sarah & the chalk board, Ben freakin' out about Sarah writing Barnabas, Barn rising and wanting Ben to come to him to report on Sarah and Ben not being able to leave Sarah's room without casting suspicion upon himself and howling dogs for good measure.

Barn is still emotional and beside himself regarding Sarah and makes rash decisions once he learns Sarah is dying and against his better judgment, Ben helps Barn to see Sarah. Suddenly the whole of the future Barnabas and his behavior regarding Sarah makes total sense - as we see the sick & weak little girl as her brother holds her, tell him she loves him and will forever and then dies in his arms. Very sad and very dramatic. Me thinks it's a damn good thing Angelique is already dead. Let's see how Barnabas becomes now.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 10:55:22 PM »
I totally missed the doll.

Funny, we all found it necessary to mention the rain.

It appears you and I are on the same wave length re: this episode and SS, AD.

Hopefully we will never have to hear London Bridge ever again.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 11:11:47 PM »
Sarah: You're not Barnabas!  He always used a napkin!   ***   Sarah death scene?   Sudden and unexpected.  I'm glad they had a moment, and that she said what she did to him.   Well acted by both.

I wonder if someone suddenly realized, hey, we let Angelique (and her blackmailing of Barnabas) die without having Ang kill Sarah, so they had to invent another reason....

I think Angelique is presumed to have taken Joshua's money and left.   Time speeds up and slows down on DS, so maybe there hasn't been enough elapsed time for anyone to notice she's gone yet.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:23:31 AM »
Yeah, I'm wondering just how long it's been. I think Barn has risen twice, maybe three times since his death. He certainly hasn't had time to fly to Boston and back to cash that passbook as I suggested a few episodes back - and I thought I was so clever coming up with that.