Author Topic: David Selby in A Streetcar Named Desire  (Read 2296 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
David Selby in A Streetcar Named Desire
« on: July 03, 2003, 05:16:54 AM »
The LA Theatre Works production of Tennessee Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire will be broadcast on KPCC 89.3 FM in Southern California on Saturday, July 19, at 8:00pm PT.

David Selby plays Mitch. His co-stars include Vincent D'Onofrio as Stanley, Glenne Headley as Blanche, and Amy Brenneman as Stella.

If you don't live in Southern California and/or can't get this station on your radio dial, you can listen to an Internet Real Audio simulcast here:

http://www.scpr.org/play/live.ram

This title is not currently offered for sale on CD/tape by LA Theatre Works.

Criseyde

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:David Selby in A Streetcar Named Desire
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 05:20:42 AM »
The (URL) production of Tennessee Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire will be broadcast on (URL) in Southern California on Saturday, July 19, at 8:00pm PT.

I am SO there!

Many thanks for the info!!

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 03:19:44 PM »
 ;)Hello Cris any chance i could play in that movie???
With David Selby??????  Love Anne
YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2003, 01:02:38 AM »
Wow thanks MsCriseyde for the link to listen to the internet audio!!  I'll be looking forward to it!

Deb :)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 04:09:51 PM »
DON'T FORGET....TONIGHT, VIA INTERNET, THE ABOVE.

Does anyone know, if it's listed as 8pm, is that west coast time...so should we east-coasters log in at 5?

PS...MsCriseyde....LOVE the new avatar ;D

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2003, 06:04:35 PM »
Does anyone know, if it's listed as 8pm, is that west coast time...so should we east-coasters log in at 5?

You need to add hours, not subtract them. The West Coast time is behind the East Coast time, not ahead of it. So it should be 11pm ET.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2003, 03:26:34 AM »
The (URL) production of Tennessee Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire will be broadcast on (URL) in Southern California on Saturday, July 19, at 8:00pm PT.

If you don't live in Southern California and/or can't get this station on your radio dial, you can listen to an Internet Real Audio simulcast here:

http://www.scpr.org/play/live.ram

This title is not currently offered for sale on CD/tape by LA Theatre Works.

Hmm...tried both links...got a request for money (public broadcast??) on the radio station; then, on the live ram, took me somewhere...then got an error message :P

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2003, 03:36:18 AM »
Hmm...tried both links...got a request for money (public broadcast??) on the radio station; then, on the live ram, took me somewhere...then got an error message :P

The request for money is a standard blurb it always opens when you listen to this particular station, then the live feed is supposed to open. If you're getting an error that there are server problems, then you need to contact the station via their site. It's not something that can be fixed on the visitor's end.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2003, 08:07:57 PM »
All prejudice aside (ha!), Selby's Mitch was fantastic.

As for Vincent D'Onofrio's Stanley.... ehhhh.

Did anyone else listen to it, or is that a really dumb question?  ^-^

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2003, 09:48:20 PM »
Did anyone else listen to it, or is that a really dumb question?  ^-^

Like Patti, I got error messages once the pre-recorded blurb about becoming a member ended. I suspect they had more folks trying to listen than they could handle since, as a staffer so "helpfully" informed me, it's working fine right now.

I doubt people are rushing to their computers to hear Talk of the City with Kitty Felde.  [puke]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 12:40:07 AM »
I was beginning to think it really was a stupid question. :P  Seriously, I live in a valley and nowhere near Pasadena, so I figured that if I can pick up the station just about anybody else in L.A. could too.

I'm sorry to hear you couldn't get the simulcast.  Selby was SO good; I'm not rubbing it in, honest!  So was Glenne Headley, and Amy Brenneman was very believable, but though I'm a HUGE Law & Order fan I just didn't think d'Onofrio had an edge to his Stanley.  But I recommend the radio drama very highly if it becomes available again.

You know, I've never seen the play performed :-  and am so used to the movie that I didn't realize Stella stays at the end, or understood what happened regarding Blanche's young husband.  Duh.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2003, 02:16:08 AM »
This was done as a radio play?!?

It would be hard to picture Selby as Mitch otherwise ...

How interesting -- I thought that was only done in the U.K.

I've seen three filmed/TV versions of this great play, and the best in my view is the one with Ann-Margret and Treat Williams from about 1982.

I know that's almost sacrosanct (am I using that word correctly??) given the legendary status of the Brando, Vivien Leigh version.  And while I'm an admirer of Leigh, I find the movie version dated.  The 1982 tele-version was "unexpurgated," and, if anything (though it's probably unfair to compare), Ann-Margret AND Treat Williams were more real in the roles.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2003, 03:07:51 AM »
This was done as a radio play?!?

It would be hard to picture Selby as Mitch otherwise ...

How interesting -- I thought that was only done in the U.K.

Radio plays? They're most definitely alive and well in America. The group that Selby works with is LA Theatre Works, and their stuff winds up on both NPR and the BBC.

LATW has been around since 1974, but they didn't get involved in radio drama until the mid-1980s. Their first radio production, Once in a Lifetime got some national media attention from sources like CBS This Morning, and, at that time, their members included folks like Selby, Robert Foxworth, Ed Asner, John Lithgow, Amy Irving, Ted Danson, Richard Dreyfuss, and on and on.

One of the more interesting things they've done lately is to take actors who normally work together on a specific tv show and put them together in a production. Kelsey Grammer and John Mahoney from Frasier did The Third Man, and actors from the various incarnations of Star Trek, including Leonard Nimoy and Gates McFadden, did War of the Worlds.

I guess since Return to Collinwood is now coming to fruition that it's ok to mention that David Selby has wanted to do a similar type of project with the Dark Shadows actors.

I also need to mention here that LATW is not the only group producing radio drama. There are several others with equally recognizable actors, though LATW offers most of their stuff on cd and audio tape, so it's easy to get your hands on in libraries or via mail order if your local NPR station doesn't carry radio drama. Not all of them do. LATW sells titles directly, and Amazon also offers most LATW titles.