Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0400  (Read 805 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0400
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:45:13 PM »
Robservations #400

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0400

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:48:21 PM »
The exorcism episode! Friends of Barnabas will note that this is one day after his marriage.

Angelique in her old servant's room, building a house of cards to represent the room (whichever one it is) Vicki is in. (The cards are all face cards--not tarot cards.) To mark her new status as the mistress of the Old House (however poor), she is now wearing the marigold-colored gown that will later appear in her portrait.

Barnabas visits the terrified Vicki, who tells him a little more about his "descendant," who is the kindest, gentlest man she has ever known. Barnabas promises to protect her, but she is still afraid.

While Trask goes through his ritual, Angelique does the reall work of setting her little house of cards on fire. Legend has it that an overenthusiastic stagehand soaked the cards in lighter fluid, so they blazed right up! Kudos to LP for her amazing work with out-of-control props.

Barnabas goes to Vicki’s room, passing Angelique's old room on the way. He hears Angelique just as she intones, Eye of Fire! Heart of Ice! I summon you from the icy waters of the world beyond! Still unsuspecting and thinking he must be imagining things, Barnabas hears Vicki’s cries of Fire! and rushes to her room. But by the time he gets there, she has already fled--and there is no sign of fire to be seen. Quickly he resumes his search for Vicki--but he is too late. By the time he gets downstairs, Vicki has rushed out of the house in panic--and right into the Rev.'s welcoming arms.

After Trask has taken poor Vicki away, Barnabas asks Angelique about the words he heard her say. She tells him she was in the sewing room--since she is now the Mistress of the Old House, why would she go back to her old servant's room? One of my favorite scenes follows: I must have been mistaken, he says. So many things have happened so fast. Nothing is very clear. This all has come as such a shock. Now worried herself, Angelique agrees, Yes, it still does seem very hard to believe. Yes, says Barnabas, looking at her significantly--very hard. Angelique looks away as she comments, We’re both exhausted. I think I’ll go upstairs and rest for a while. All right, Barnabas says. Try not to be too upset, she tells him. I’ll try, he answers dubiously, turning to watch her.

As Barnabas watches his wife ascend the stairs, in his mind (another great JF voiceover!) he tells her, You’re lying. I searched the sewing room when I was looking for Miss Winters. You were in your room. Those strange words I heard you say: “Heart of fire that burns in the heart of ice.” Why did you lie to me? For the first time, a sudden, horrible suspicion darts through his mind. He wonders, Is it possible that--? No, he answers himself quickly. I can’t believe that--not my wife! A strange girl who says she’s from another time--I could believe it about her. A witch, yes. But not my wife, he implores the cosmos. Oh, not my wife!

Barn decides to ask Ben who the witch is. Meanwhile, Angelique hopes that Vicki will be burned alive….

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:24:41 PM »
Do it Trask!!   Trask's so cool.  I wouldn't have thought the guy who played Tony Peterson had it in 'im.   I love the ranting villains with egos that can't be contained, thrusting their giant will all over the place... who also manage to stay just barely on the believable side of going over the top.   "Magnus Trask" is a variation on "Magnus Greel", a ranting classic Dr Who villain.   I had to combine the two!

I wondered about that fire and Lara... she seemed awfully close and it seemed big.   My big first observation.... casting a spell by making a house of cards!   It seemed ridiculously contrived.   And apparently not even an Evil House of Tarot Cards, but regular cards?   Unsure as to what "face cards" means, I haven't played card games much.   Anyway, it seemed as supernaturally legit to me as playing with evil Tinkertoys, but then again it referred to the house and setting a fire in it.....

Nice of Ang to include a compliment on Victoria's beauty in her curse.   Heart of gold, that one.   No-Name Trask... divining rods just find water, don't they?   Was this some witch-burning logic having to do with the cure of fire, and having to find the opposite of the cleansing fire, which would be water, a.k.a. the one who can't take fire, the witch?  So witches are made of water?

My board motto (or whatever you call the saying under the avatar) is uttered!  Twice!

For years, every time I've viewed #400, I've longed to film the following as a visual joke:  No-First-Name rants and bellows, waves arms, draws a circle with "VW" inside it...  come out witch!!!!   ... and then, somewhow, a Volkswagen Beetle drives out the front door of the Old House.   Squashing Trask, let's say, but not before a look of total, entertaining apoplexy comes over his face.   So apparently the VW was a witch... my mother the witch car?

"The dust now knows your name, and the earth shall proclaim it to the sky!  Come forth to this threshhold!  Cross from darkness into the light, before the fires of goodness drive you forth in terror and fear!!"   Had to quote that.   Later, we also get "consuming fires of goodness"!   He certainly makes goodness sound scary as hell.   I don't blame people for becoming witches.   Angelique was probably traumatized by exposure to goodness as an infant, and it scarred her so badly she turned to evil, to lighten things up a little if nothing else.   
Trask has some poet in him, a bit of dark romanticism despite the clenched Puritanism.

Barnabas suspects.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 04:01:26 PM »
Congrats, MT--this is really YOUR episode! And thanks for explaining your nom de screen. I remember the Dr. Who episode but didn't remember the villain's name.

I've never seen cards like that either, before or since. They're not your standard tarot cards, that's all I know. A face card is any card that has a face (king, queen, or jack) on it as opposed to only two to ten diamonds, clubs, hearts, or spades.

I also don't get why No-name (love it!) Trask used a divining rod. And I thought that a woman who was unfortunate enough to know how to swim was suspected of being a witch. If she floated on top of the water, that meant that the water--one of nature's/God's own elements--was rejecting her.

I've never understood that whole heart of fire/heart of ice thing either.

Maybe Trask's actual first name is Reverend. He certainly seems to love his work.

I want to start yelling at Barn to get with the program!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:17:21 PM »
My iconic vision of Angelique is from this episode, her in that dress, that hairstyle, incanting with the house of burning cards in front of her. All my thoughts of Angelique start here and branch out therefrom.

You got to wonder if Barnabas is envious of Trask's coat. (Not to mention the eye makeup). Why do some men of God wear black?

As MT said, Barnabas gets wise -- Hooray!

I'm not sure if this is the point you are not getting or not, DarkLady, but the fire /ice thing is to have a fire that will burn but not burn it's surroundings.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 05:31:34 AM »
Vickie throws an Afghan off to the side of the second fire and probably doomed herself by upsetting the cosmos of the Afghan. The Old House apparently has a sewing room besides the many other rooms that have been shown recently and are supposed to exist within its small footprint.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 06:20:23 AM »
Vickie throws an Afghan off to the side of the second fire and probably doomed herself by upsetting the cosmos of the Afghan.

It's the afghans' world, they're just livin' in it!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 04:05:44 PM »
The Old House apparently has a sewing room besides the many other rooms that have been shown recently and are supposed to exist within its small footprint.

[snow_cheesy]