Author Topic: No Embalming in Collinsport?  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
No Embalming in Collinsport?
« on: July 01, 2003, 03:45:33 AM »
I've always been bemused the way no one in Collinsport ever seems to be embalmed -- at least, if Angelique had been, wouldn't she have been pretty well preserved for the short amount of time she's been dead?

Also thought of this when Elizabeth was thought to be dead and in her special tomb.

It would have been easy enough for the writers to work in an explanation:  "Her last wishes included that she did not want to be embalmed," etc.

>:D

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:No Embalming in Collinsport?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 03:59:54 AM »
Embalm them?  Hell, corpses in Collinsport were lucky to make it into the ground at all....I always got the distinct impression that they simply left Carl Collins on the curb for the tuesday trash pick-up, he disappeared so precipitously.  :(
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 05:57:33 AM »
didn't her father take care of her remains so he could make sure that she wasn't embalmed so she could come back?
i thought he mentions this somewhere???

jennifer
but good point i always laughed at how fast they had a tombstone up all engraved!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2003, 07:40:02 AM »
And didn't Liz ask not to be embalmed? Maybe not, I can't remember for sure.

Anybody know, for sure?

dom

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2003, 08:26:18 AM »
I don't recall them ever embalming anyone during the course of the show.  And now come to think of it,  I don't remember them ever holding Wakes either, except for the time when Grandmamama died and they actually held a Wake for her in Collinwood, which is how they held Wakes for the deceased way back when.

It seemed though as soon as someone died they were immediately thrown into the ground with a tombstone all made out as if it were expecting them.

Could you imagine all the hard work Dr.Lang would have had if they did embalm bodies??

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2003, 04:08:26 PM »
Good point, Vlad!  My guess is that there really isn't much point in embalming since so many of them get dug up in a day or two anyway.  But as for those "ready-to-go" tombstones, they must have a stash of them somewhere.  I still say they should post freshness dates on them as in  "Raise before March 20, 1970".

Maybe (real time) Julia should have considered adding to her resume some embalming work at Collinwood because those zombies looked a bit ripe to me.  I could imagine her inheriting the practice from Dr. Lang:

"Julia, when you do the embalming ..."

[silly]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2003, 04:09:55 PM »
Nothing was ever mentioned about embalming during the death curse debacle. I remember that because a friend of mine who is a nurse was highly amused by the whole plot.

"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2003, 06:11:16 PM »
Not embalming?  Isn't that against the law in some states?  I guess Maine isn't one of them.  But it's hard to believe they didn't at least embalm Angelique.  The way she's acting in this storyline might be explained by the lack of blood to her brain.  ::)

Brrr.  Hafta go, this creepy subject is giving me goosebumps!!!   [a2a3]
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2003, 07:24:39 PM »
Not embalming?  Isn't that against the law in some states?
I would have thought that too Cassandra, except that a few years ago the mother of a friend of mine died and had requested not to be embalmed.  I never knew why.

Personally, I have no problem with it - I wouldn't want there to be a shadow of a doubt that I had actually moved on.
[haironend]
[/font]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2003, 08:08:37 PM »
Jews and Muslims do not embalm their dead, but rather bury them as soon as possible so I don't think there can be laws mandating embalming except in cases where burial will be delayed for a wake, or other reason.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2003, 10:38:11 PM »
Embalm them?  Hell, corpses in Collinsport were lucky to make it into the ground at all....I always got the distinct impression that they simply left Carl Collins on the curb for the tuesday trash pick-up, he disappeared so precipitously.  :(

Raineypark,

Sorry to correct you, but Tuesday is recycling day.  So, hopefully, the genuinely funniest Collins ever will be recycled in Parallel Time as, say, Shecky Collins, New England's greatest stand-up comedian!

Bob the Bartender, President of the Morty Gunty Fan Club. 

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 05:08:18 AM »
I remember Elizabeth telling everyone, Particularly Carolyn how important it was to know that although she would appear to be dead she would not actually be "Dead" were I Carolyn I would assume that meant not to embalm her.

Sarah's [ghost]
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2003, 01:53:23 AM »
Not embalming?  Isn't that against the law in some states?  I guess Maine isn't one of them.
It's not against the law, but some undertakers like to give the impression that it is so they can make more $$ (Or so I'm told).
Brrr.  Hafta go, this creepy subject is giving me goosebumps!!!   [a2a3]

Me too.  [peepwall]

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2003, 03:06:31 PM »
Okay, this morbid topic got me wondering...other than to preserve the body for a Wake, just why is this done in the first place? Creepy as it sounds, it isn't like anyone (outside of Collinsport that is) is going to ever dig someone up to see how well the procedure worked.  It kind of seems like a waste of effort in a way.  [idontknow]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2003, 03:24:08 PM »
Okay, this morbid topic got me wondering...other than to preserve the body for a Wake, just why is this done in the first place? Creepy as it sounds, it isn't like anyone (outside of Collinsport that is) is going to ever dig someone up to see how well the procedure worked.  It kind of seems like a waste of effort in a way.  [idontknow]

i'm with you CastleBee leave me the HELL alone! :o

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV