Author Topic: Farewell to Don Briscoe !  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Trask

• Dark Shadows will outlive us all!
    • View Profile
Farewell to Don Briscoe !
« on: June 28, 2003, 10:50:00 PM »
    Thanks again, MB, for the carefully assembled montage depicting Don Briscoe's brief but seemingly popular stint on DS. I always found him to have a rather engaging stage persona , even if his roles posessed somewhat one dimensional characteristics.  I have noticed from Mr. Briscoe's "biography" on Stuart Manning's website that his hometown after showbiz retirement was listed as Memphis, TN.
    Having lived in Memphis all of my life until recently, I was certainly not aware of this fact. He seems like a low key kind of person. Does anyone here know more about his career post-DS? I don't recall ever seeing his picture in any of of the reunion photos.

Thanks,

Trask

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Farewell to Don Briscoe !
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 11:04:27 PM »
Having lived in Memphis all of my life until recently, I was certainly not aware of this fact. He seems like a low key kind of person. Does anyone here know more about his career post-DS? I don't recall ever seeing his picture in any of of the reunion photos.

Hiya, Trask!  Joe Integlia has photos of him in his
Gallery of DS Pics
, page 6.

Offline Trask

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 12:41:37 AM »
Thanks for the link, Midnite. Mr Integlia's pictures are quite
insightful, and he certainly is very dedicated, to say the least!
Interesting that the photos with Mr. Briscoe were taken in Memphis. I wonder how he found him? Too bad that DB doen't seem to attend the fests, though. I would imagine that DS fans would enjoy seeing him again. It would be kinda cool if he were to be at the "last" DS reunion coming soon. Maybe he isn't invited?

Trask

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 01:29:20 AM »
farewell, :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

jennifer
Trask
well thank goodness for tapes and i think that anyone that wanted to go from the show
could???
and also welcome Trask :)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 03:28:41 AM »
Too bad that DB doen't seem to attend the fests, though. I would imagine that DS fans would enjoy seeing him again. It would be kinda cool if he were to be at the "last" DS reunion coming soon. Maybe he isn't invited?

I'm sure everyone would love to see him take part in the reunion.  Jim Pierson explained at the last Fest that DB had a breakdown and therefore is no longer acting.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 03:22:13 AM »
love the montage and have to add my favorite is Amy and him at the fishtank! they were great together! :)

jennifer
thank goodness Steve is in canada otherwise i'd have to travel cross town and douse him with some COLD H2O! ;D
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 03:25:04 AM »
Too bad that DB doen't seem to attend the fests, though. I would imagine that DS fans would enjoy seeing him again. It would be kinda cool if he were to be at the "last" DS reunion coming soon. Maybe he isn't invited?

I'm sure everyone would love to see him take part in the reunion.  Jim Pierson explained at the last Fest that DB had a breakdown and therefore is no longer acting.

poor sweetie hope he is better! :)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 04:50:46 PM »
Ah, the sadness!  it's always a moment for donning (pun intended!) the black crape and having a good bawl (ahem!).

Sorry I missed the Farewell DB montage, although if it's the same one as was posted the last time, I think I have a copy of it stashed away somewhere.

For those who are interested, a zine edited by Sue Mascola (I think?) titled Fangs for the Memories contains an interview with Don Briscoe dated ca. 1990.  One of the interesting things he mentioned was how upset he was by Dan Curtis' insistence that he smoke a cigarette in an episode of Shadows DC personally directed.  He felt it was showing a bad example to all the children who watched the show so faithfully--me among them.

I don't know whether it was posted here or not, but the episodes involving Larry Chase were originally written for Don Briscoe's character, Chris Collins.

Goithick

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 11:34:00 PM »
"Fangs for the Memories" was edited by Helen Samaras - the interview with Don is very interesting, and it's comforting to read first-hand that he's managed to put his life back together.  He comes across as a very gentle, unassuming soul in the chat.

Larry Chase was played by associate director Ken McEwen - when Don fell ill and was unable to complete his last episode on the show, Ken took over Chris' role under a new name -- according to him -- because he was the only production member who knew the lines.  The whole thing sounds like a terrible time for all involved.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2003, 04:48:09 PM »
When I saw the Larry Chase appearance on DS back in 1986, I thought Peter Turgeon was playing him as Ken McKeown looked a lot like him.

Offline Trask

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2003, 03:58:31 AM »
Does anyone know how or where to view the "Fangs for the Memories" article mentioned by both Stuart and Gothick? It sounds like an insightful read. Thanks for the info...it is amazing how much information is available if one knows where to look!

BTW, is this "the" Stuart Manning, perhaps?

Trask

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2003, 03:36:15 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "the" Stuart Manning but that's his name.

THE Jenny Brown
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2003, 04:51:19 PM »
Kathleen Resch probably has copies of it, you can email her at kathleener@aol.com

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2003, 06:57:21 PM »
Kathleen Resch didn't publish "Fangs for the Memories" - Helen Samaras did and I believe she still has copies.  If anyone wants an email contact for her, PM me and I'll pass it on.

The Stuart Manning?  What a scary thought...  :-
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online