Author Topic: "You Beast, You Beast!" Grayson Hall does Tennessee Williams  (Read 3562 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I finally watched "Night of the Iguana" last night after taping it for about the third time.  (Every other time I've taped it, I haven't gotten around to watching the tape, taped over it accidentally, etc. etc.)

Grayson Hall must have been in her element with this role -- she was a hoot!  I missed some of the dialogue of some of the other actors, but not a syllable was indistinct with Grayson Hall's no-megaphone-needed style of delivery.

I was also blown away by Tennessee Williams' play.  My top pick of American plays are "Streetcar," "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," and "Glass Menagerie" (followed by Miller's "Salesman" and most of Wm. Inge), and I've read and/or seen two or three others of Williams plays, but I had never seen "Iguana."  I think I'd need to read the script or at least watch the movie a couple more times to begin to get a grasp of all of the philosophy (and humanity) in this play.  The other Williams plays I mentioned are great drama with great characters and poetic writing, but I don't remember member them being as complex with "ideas."

One thing that didn't seem clear to me, though, from Ms. Hall's performance, was that she was a "suppressed lesbian."  Until the Ava Gardner character brought that up, I had no indication of this from her character.  Did I miss something?

It's surprising that Grayson Hall's film career didn't take off more than it did given the Academy Award nod, which I thought was well deserved.  And I was surprised that her role was as big as it was.  Some of the supporting role nominees seem to be little more than cameos.

I'm also puzzled how it is that Deborah Kerr is in every movie that I've seen in the last few weeks.  First it was "Eye of the Devil," then "The Innocents," now "Night of the Iguana."

Also coincidentally, last weekend when talking with my parents, my mother said she had been thinking of old movies she'd like to see again, and the one she mentioned was "Night of the Iguana."  So I said I had been planning on taping it in just a few days!

The cast overall was excellent.  Richard Burton was so talented ... the expression on his face in one scene was priceless.  I was also surprised at how humorous the play/movie was.

Does anyone know how Grayson Hall got on with her co-stars?  Is there information online about the filming of the movie?

I'll hang up now and listen.

^-^
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:"You Beast, You Beast!" Grayson Hall does Tennessee Williams
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 02:36:17 PM »
I finally got a chance to rewatch (most of) this the other day too Vlad. I don't think I've seen that film since the late 60's or early 70's.  It's certainly not one you would forget easily.  I remember thinking what a tense, keyed-up bunch of adults.  I also remember being relieved when they let the Iguana go. I started watching the other day when Grayson was screaming at Richard Burton on the beach - so I may have missed some earlier clues concerning her character's repressed sexuality.  When I was a kid I would have probably thought she was just a prudish old bag who over-reacted to anything remotely sexual.  The only other clue I saw after that (before Ava's character started ripping into her) was when Richard Burton referred to her as "Butch".  As subltle as those remarks seem now, it still must have been pretty ::shocking:: stuff for audiences in 1961.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 08:11:03 PM »
Glad others are watching and enjoying this film, which is on AFI's Top 100.  Ava, Richard and Deborah are great and of course, Uber-great is Grayson.  But it really is interesting that she was the ONLY one nominated from that stellar list of players.  And, when the film is written about today, she is not mentioned. .  :-[

Steve, who is off galavanting in search of Briscolicious. . could tell you more but I do understand Grayson had a life long friendship with the Burtons. . .one of La Liz's daughters got married at the Hall's Hudson Valley home.  But this is 2nd or 3rd hand to me. . . And Grayson in interviews expressed extreme annoyance with Sue Lyon's obvious adoration of her boyfriend.  But he eventually annoyed others and was ordered off-set and home. . down boy, down!

As to G's character's repressed sexuality ..well the woman was just repressed in every way, hands down.  She's down in Mexico but still wearing her white-long sleeved blouse buttoned all the way to the top--letting no air in there--  I guess the other big "clue in scene" is in Judith and the girls' bedroom when Judith asks Charlotte not to be mad, she couldn't take it if Charlotte was mad at her. . .you sense some desperation and pleading there in Judith's need for Charlotte to like her. . . ^-^

I've said before if you stuck me in hot hot mexico with a wander-ing eye defrocked priest, a bunch of whiney old women with dysentery and Sue Lyon (annoying!), I wouldn't have acted much better than Judith Fellow. . although, I probably would've gone to the bar and screamed "cerveza!  mas cerveza!"  Actually I would've accepted (as Judith did not) Maxine's offer of a little pot--which is a hysterical scene!  And then gone swimming with those crazy mexican boys and Maxine. . . 
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 11:08:36 PM »
Steve, who is off galavanting in search of Briscolicious. .

Actually, I believe Steve just couldn't face the awful fact that today's second episode on Sci-Fi was Briscoe's last on DS, so he went off to try to put the whole thing out of his mind... [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2003, 01:03:49 AM »
You DO have some way of saving today's montage until Gothick gets home.....don't you?  [sure]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2003, 01:11:12 AM »
You DO have some way of saving today's montage until Gothick gets home

He already has a copy of it. In fact, I think he said he'd like to print it out in poster size. [lghy]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2003, 01:33:27 AM »
Had seen it again within last couple of months...really like Ava Gardner's performance too.

Interesting (if factual) about the Burtons/Halls friendship.

You mention Grayson's 'no megaphone needed'; do we know how much stage training (if any) she had.

Also, after NOI, did she appear on stage?

Thanks,

Patti

PS...never noticed the pot scene...will have to watch again...
What a Woman!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2003, 09:22:38 PM »
Had seen it again within last couple of months...really like Ava Gardner's performance
You mention Grayson's 'no megaphone needed'; do we know how much stage training (if any) she had.

Patti

PS...never noticed the pot scene...will have to watch again...

Grayson's training was almost exclusively for the stage .. .check out the Remembering Grayson website for a more complete detailing of her training and career. . .Iguana was her first big feature film (she didn't like to think back on 2 earlier New York films).  And the pot scene is quite funny, its after their at Maxine's, after Maxine says to Judith "well if you're not gonna eat him [Richard Burton's character] I guess I better get you all something to eat."  LOL!  ;D  I just love that  and then.  .when they all come out refreshed from a siesta, Maxine tries to serve up some RumCocoas but Judith says she doesn't "imbibe" and then Maxine says, "well how about some pot?  I don't normally offer that but you strike me as needing something special. . " or something along that line. . Grayson's implacably innocent expressions are priceless.

J99 (ready for whomever it is out there who is making it their career to smite me. .. :-*)
Julia99

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2003, 11:34:12 PM »
and then.  .when they all come out refreshed from a siesta, Maxine tries to serve up some RumCocoas but Judith says she doesn't "imbibe" and then Maxine says, "well how about some pot?  I don't normally offer that but you strike me as needing something special. . " or something along that line. . Grayson's implacably innocent expressions are priceless.

J99 (ready for whomever it is out there who is making it their career to smite me. .. :-*)

I loved that scene.  Maxine offered RumCocoas to the poor lady that had dysentery and Judith butts in to say no.  Judith is not having a good time so I guess she wants to make sure no one else does either.

PS  Some of my all time favorite posters(you're one) have alot of curses so you're in good company.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2003, 01:22:46 AM »
Last night I fired up the old laserdisc player (the 21st century equivalent of cranking up the victrola!) and watch my copy of TNOTI again.  I think it gets better with each viewing, really.  Naturally, I adore Grayson's spot-on performance as the repressed Judith Fellowes (especially the way she says, "Posing as a minister of the Gospelllllllllll!"), but for the most part, all the performances are excellent.  I particularly enjoy watching Ava Gardner's earthy, sexy performance as Maxine.  The contrast between her and Grayson makes their scenes together come to life.

An interesting touch that I never noticed before, and was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, was the way the character of Mrs. Peebles is continuously thwarted by Judith in her efforts to enjoy the trip and Shannon's company.  One can only imagine the power that Miss Fellowes wields back at the Baptist College!

Another priceless bit that I never noticed before was the scene in which Judith swats Hank repeatedly with her handbag before charging up the hill to Maxine's place.  If James Ward is still alive, I'm sure he would have an anecdote or two to share regarding Grayson (as would Sue Lyon).

It's also interesting to note that Grayson received lower billing than James Ward, who played Hank the bus driver.  While Ward's name is listed in the same ornate font as the main stars, Grayson's name is listed below his in a plain font.  This is especially odd considering that Miss Fellowes is the catalyst for all the action in the film.  Of course, the ultimate irony is that Grayson was the only performer to receive an Oscar nomination.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to satisfy my sudden craving for a rum coco.

Regards,

John

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2003, 02:27:42 AM »
     Now, I am intrigued.  What is a rum coco and how do you make one? 
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2003, 07:55:50 PM »
And of course John. . can you picture Bette Davis as Maxine .. ?? She was the one who originated the role on Broadway. . . :-

I'm sure Sue Lyon's comments about Grayson wouldn't be good, especially since G got Sue' boyfriend booted off the set . .or was one of a few who did.

I also love the anecdote Grayson told about going to Mexico ..she'd never been out of the US before.  Sam and Matthew went with her. .. She took Matthew to the pediatrician beforehand. .he would've been about 4 or 5 then?  The doctor apparently told her about going to Mexico. ."take your dog, not the baby!"

Julia99

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2003, 03:34:00 AM »
I still have a bottle of rum left over from the holidays and having been wondering what to do with it ... if anyone has the rum cocoa recipe, please by all means post it!   ;D

Think I'll skip the pot (much too old for that sort of thing!) ... but that scene was terribly funny!   :)

I had noticed in the opening credits, too, how Ms. Hall's name was hardly noticeble.  Surprising given the size of the role -- seemed much more significant than the bus driver's!

Interesting to hear that the movie is on the AFI's top 100 list.  I'll have to check that out.

Hope they didn't neglect "Rebecca" on the list ... and (better leave it that and not go more off-topic!)

>:D

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2003, 03:45:34 AM »
Interesting to hear that the movie is on the AFI's top 100 list.  I'll have to check that out.

Hope they didn't neglect "Rebecca" on the list ... and (better leave it that and not go more off-topic!)

>:D

Here's a link to the list, but unfortunately neither NOTI nor Rebecca is on it--

http://www.afi.com/tv/movies.asp

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2003, 05:01:48 AM »
That's very odd . . . i could've sworn i saw it on the list when it was first announced .. .and my video store had it amongst their Top 100 AFI films..  ??? hmmmm. . .
Julia99