Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0386  (Read 919 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0386
« on: February 05, 2013, 01:38:10 AM »
Robservations #386

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0386

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:13:05 AM »
Good, bad, or mediocre, I liked this episode. I enjoyed Grayson’s opening voiceover especially after so many recent bland OV performances. I thoroughly enjoyed Nathan & Barn questioning & chastising Countess DooPray. Cute moment when Nathan retroactively champions Vicki’s striking Trask. I also ate up their chastising of Trask and defense of Vicki, etc. I silently hoorayed when they ignored Trask’s warning and left the Old House to search for her. Finally someone calls Natalie on her use of the devil’s playthings – that it was Trask made it all the more delicious. I took issue with Ange’s tree prop, they should have had her take a branch or even a leaf from the tree and burn that. And I laughed out loud when Barn said that the oversized drawing room of Collinwood was a safe room to hide in. Surely, he knew about the secret spaces at the new house. Despite its flaws, I felt this episode had good content, was well written and for the most part, well acted. At first I wasn’t sympathetic towards Natalie’s guilt over Vicki’s predicament but by episode’s end I was won over. Especially after her exchange with Trask in the woods. Unfortunately, Ange once again manages to undo any forward movement of truth, justice and the American way. I imagine that Natalie will again side with Trask now that she’s seen the evidence that Vicki is the witch. Poor Vicki/stupid Vicki. She should slap Julia when she gets back to 1967. Wasn’t it Julia who suggested the séance?

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 04:06:59 PM »
I never understood the tree test.  Trask didn't seem surprised the tree was burnt, I guess he is that much of a fanatic.  If Vicky was still there tied to the tree, what would he have done then?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 04:26:12 PM »
Even the first time I saw this story line, I thought the tree test was ridiculous. I imagine that if Trask had found Vicki still tied to the unburned tree in the morning, he would have found some excuse for keeping up his accusations of her. People like Trask need someone to be their prey.

Hooray for the countess, who seems to have changed her mind about Vicki.

Trask refuses to answer any of Barnabas’s questions. Furious, Barnabas reminds Trask, We Americans recently fought a revolution for our rights. He declares, I am defending the right of this girl to be judged innocent until proven innocent! (I didn't make this up, Jonathan must have flubbed a line) and stalks out.

My question is, What are the writers trying to tell us by implying that Barnabas's very rationalism turns out to be a dreadful mistake???

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:46:49 PM »
Yeah, the writers passed on a golden opportunity to humiliate Trask. Had the three just stayed there until Trask arrived in the AM, they'd have had their proof that Vicki wasn't the witch and according to Trask's own test to boot. Yeah, Trask would have come up with a million one reasons to continue his accusations, but still.

What I would like to know is if Trask expected the tree to burn or if he expected it to be withered with brittle brown leaves. I don't remember if he states that the burnt tree is proof Vicki is a witch. If he did expect the tree to burn then he must have expected VW to die along with the tree.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 03:01:05 AM »
I imagine Ang knows how the tree is supposed to look to prove witchiness, and acted accordingly...  if V had been there still, he'd have been discredited though not completely, and would have taken awhile to build himself back up.  I can see him, hands clasped, saying "The witch is even more powerful and cunning than we at first supposed!!"  (We meaning him.)

"I am defending the right of this girl to be judged innocent until proven innocent!"  It's a famous blooper, but this time it made sense to me.  It's as if he believes so much in Vicki's innocence, that he doesn't even acknowledge the possibility of her being proven guilty.  First they must presume her innocent, until she is finally found innocent, not guilty, because innocent she is.

My question is, What are the writers trying to tell us by implying that Barnabas's very rationalism turns out to be a dreadful mistake???

I think they're trying to have it both ways, presenting an exciting story about an (existing) evil witch, and commenting on the hysterical, intolerant witch-hunting mentality that destroyed so many people back then (largely because witches don't exist), still did, and always will in some form probably.   We're supposed to fight this with rationalism, in the real world of the viewers, anyway.  It had only been a few years since the McCarthy hearings.   They did as good a job as anyone could of jamming those two opposite things together, I think.  I'd have hated it, if they'd made witch-hunters the heroes.   Even if witches had been real, there'd have been Trasks using this to fuel their egos and careers, and getting the wrong people convicted.

What does "the quick and the dead" signify?    Why the little tree voodoo doll?   Why not just set the tree on fire?  Oh, so the other trees will be fine, and it will look supernatural.  Never mind.   Still looked silly.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:45:42 PM »
Interesting thoughts, MT, and of course I'm glad you agree with me that the tree thing was just plain silly.

I wonder what kind of reception the Reverend Trask would have gotten from viewers during the heyday of the Moral Majority and the Reagan era. JL does such a great job that Trask pushes all my rabidly anticlerical buttons.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 05:17:35 AM »
Vickie finally quits relying on sense and makes a sensible decision to not return to the Old house, but it doesn't seem far enough.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 01:41:41 AM »
I wonder if we are supposed to believe that Vicki might be reluctant to venture too far from the estate for fear that she might never get back to her own time as a result.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 05:14:06 AM »
I wonder if we are supposed to believe that Vicki might be reluctant to venture too far from the estate for fear that she might never get back to her own time as a result.

I always thought so, and that's what I'd be thinking in her place.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor