Author Topic: Bad Hair Day At Bruno's Bungalow!  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Bad Hair Day At Bruno's Bungalow!
« on: June 23, 2003, 09:49:06 PM »
Hey gang,

Good Lord!  The very sight of "Hella" Hannah Stokes' bodacious bouffant crammed into that small caretaker's cottage with bad boy Bruno Hess' prodigious pompadour.  Talk about the irresistible force meeting the immovable object!  I tell you, my poor, aging eyes couldn't take it!

And, if that wasn't bad enough, Hannah with all of that gaudy jewelry and all of those cheap rings, and, of course, Bruno, with that tawdry medallion of his, looked like Mrs. and Mr. Super Fly, respectively!  The combined glitter of that chintzy junk was just too much to take, especially with all of that unbelievable hair.  I think that it's now time to call Dr. Eric Lang for corrective Lasik surgery!

I guess we can say that we've all now seen the dark-haired Parallel Time counterparts for those two "Real Time" blondies, "fabulous" Farah Fawcett and singer/coxcomb Eric Carmen of "Hungry Eyes" fame from the hit flick, "Dirty Dancing."

Heck, I was almost expecting to see Hannah's long-lost grandson walk through the door of Bruno's cottage during that truly memorable scene....the PT counterpart of mop-haired singing sensation, Justin Guarini!

Bob the Bartender, devotee of the "California Curl" look.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Bad Hair Day At Bruno's Bungalow!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 10:07:43 PM »
Bob, your recollection of media trivia never ceases to amaze me......ERIC CARMEN, for god's sake?

But that's nothing compared to your alliterative achievements:  Bodacious Bouffant and Prodigeous Pompadour indeed!! [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 10:40:34 PM »
Bob, your recollection of media trivia never ceases to amaze me......ERIC CARMEN, for god's sake?

But that's nothing compared to your alliterative achievements:  Bodacious Bouffant and Prodigeous Pompadour indeed!! [lghy]

Raineypark,

The reason that I can remember the "immortal" Eric Carmen is because I can also remember seeing the always tactful and kind-hearted Rosie O'Donnell dump on Eric Carmen's absurdly flowing locks, when Ms. O'Donnell introduced Mr. Carmen's "Hungy Eyes" video during her long ago days as a DJ on VH-1.

I mean, if Rosie O'Donnell can "burn" some guy's hairstyle, then YOU KNOW, that the guy's hairstyle must absolutely look worse than even Mrs. Slocombe's implausible hairdo's from "Are You Being Served?"

Bob the Bartender, who asks the question, "Comedian Steve Martin's hair, is it real or is it Memorex?"

PS I have always been a big fan of Michael Harris' (a/k/a Peter Scolari) brilliant use of alliteration on the comedy classic "Newhart."

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 01:52:12 AM »
Don't laugh I once met a guy who wore a medallion similar to Bruno's.  Danced with him at a local club, when yes I was underage, my best friend gave him my phone number.  Friends like that.  We were just laughing about that the other day.  The poor guy called me for weeks.

The medallion thing just turned me off, and made me laugh even at l7.  He did not have big hair, that would have put me over the top.

Birdie--why do I tell you guys all these crazy stories
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 02:15:27 AM »
Birdie--why do I tell you guys all these crazy stories

[ghost]
'cause we know how to bury secrets[/i][ghost]

Patti
What a Woman!

Online Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 12:41:49 PM »
Didn't we all have an Auntie Hannah growing up?  Some might've been more tempered, sorta like a cross between her and the Ruth Gordon character from Rosemary's Baby, but it seems most families had one.  In ours, it was Auntie Theresa, married to my Uncle Mike.  He was the most quiet, shy man in the world, and she just consumed all the energy out of a room.  Same look, same hair (how do they do that? - what's in there? - a skeletal support designed by Gustav Eiffel?), same clothes, a never-ending ability to keep talking without hardly taking a breath.  It was Auntie Hannah down to the bone.

In the scene where Alexis and Auntie Hannah first met, I was waiting for her to do what all Hannahesque aunties do:  squeeze her cheeks.  But then, Auntie Hannah has enough evil within her by her indulging in the black things; having her cheek-squeeze would've been right over the edge of diabolical displays on early 70's television.

Gerard

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 02:19:25 PM »
Bob you are too funny!i heard MS wore all his own clothes
on the series! have to give him this He was one of a kind! his Hair sort of reminds me of Mike Brady on the Brady Bunch towards the end of the series! a lot of women wore those falls or hairpieces back then. we have pictures of my mom
and friends going out all dolled up with fake hair and my mother told us to burn them![flaming]

jennifer
Hey Bob BRUCE is coming to FENWAY!!!!

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2003, 03:20:26 PM »
Bob you are too funny!i heard MS wore all his own clothes
on the series! have to give him this He was one of a kind! his Hair sort of reminds me of Mike Brady on the Brady Bunch towards the end of the series!

Jennifer,

Ah yes, Bruno Hess, the "John Tesh of the 1970s"!

By the way, the late Michael Stroka must have been a very brave and self-assured man to admit that Bruno's clothes were actually his own.  And, you're quite correct, Bruno's threads are very Brady Bunch-like in their tacky appearance.

Gerard,

I can't get over the uncanny resemblance between  Aunt Hannah Stokes and her comely, fair-haired niece, Alexis/Angelique Stokes.

I tell you, their striking resemblance is almost as amazing as the remarkable resemblance between Elizabeth Stoddard and her long-lost, putative daughter, Vicky Winters!

Bob the Bartender, president of the Victor Borge Fan Club.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2003, 03:24:40 PM »
Didn't we all have an Auntie Hannah growing up?  Some might've been more tempered, sorta like a cross between her and the Ruth Gordon character from Rosemary's Baby, but it seems most families had one.
If you mean your basic kooky character, then YES I have/had a couple of those.  The one that takes center stage is my Aunt Betty who not only missed her calling in the theater but has the combined characteristics of Mame, Maude, Betty Boop and any number of character actresses from the '40's.  To top it off, when she hit her late 50's she started to look so much like Bea Arthur that strangers would stop her to comment on it. To give you an idea of how overwhelming her personality can be...my grandmother once told my mom (Betty's sister) that Aunt Betty had once happily announced that she had 'never once had to take a nerve pill' - my mom rolled her eyes and said well, maybe not, but she sure caused a lot of other people to take them! Never a dull moment with her though.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2003, 09:51:03 PM »
I have cousins who would swear that the "Aunt" mentioned would be my mother.  Never afraid to say anything or embarass someone.   But also the first one to be there if ther was a problem or emergancy. She is one of a kind and bless her pointy head.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Online Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2003, 11:34:06 PM »
Hi,Bob i wonder how Bruno got his hair
to stay that way!!!  Maybe i could get
a few pointers from him!!!!  Think The
Q-man needed a little styling as well!!
BUT HE'S STILL THAT GOREGOUS MAN!!!
YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
           Love Anne :P ;D 8) :o
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2003, 09:12:16 AM »
LOL!!! Bob, you're too much!

My Dad loves the show (he's 81) and loves it.   One thing he's always commenting on is how the men on the show always seem to have such nice thick heads of hair!  But I have to say that I've never seen anyone with as much (or higher) head of hair like Bruno!

I wonder if he and Sabrina swap wigs every now and then!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2003, 06:17:18 AM »
I wonder if he and Sabrina swap wigs every now and then!

I wonder sometimes if Bruno is wearing a wig or if his hair is really that high?  It just looks too perfect and always stays in place.   If its not a wig then I wish I knew what styling gel he used, lol!!  Im sure it had to be Dippidy Do since that was most likely the most popular brand being used back then.

Deb

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2003, 08:06:40 AM »
I would like to meet the team of NASA engineers who were responsible for Michael Stroka's aerodynamic head o' hair.

It's super groovy!
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2003, 02:24:04 AM »
To be fair, if we're all taking shots at Bruno Hess' pompadour, how about Dr. Cyrus Longworth's pathetic excuse for a hairstyle?  Geez, the guy's mop of hair, parted all over to one side the way it is, looks like an unkempt, flaxen-haired crow's nest!