Author Topic: Reader Haunted by Dark Shadows  (Read 1028 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Reader Haunted by Dark Shadows
« on: June 20, 2003, 05:00:02 AM »
Today, my local paper included a syndicated Q&A column called "Ask Holly Wood" featuring a question about DS. I found an online version on another newspaper web site:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/columns/?id=hollywood

Not sure how long this link will work. Here's the relevant portion:

Reader haunted by 'Dark Shadows'
By Holly Wood
Thursday, June 19, 2003

Q: I have been watching the TV series "Dark Shadows," from the 1960s. When did it first air, and what happened to the actors? -- C.T., Gallipolis, Ohio

A: The gothic soap opera "Dark Shadows" first aired in 1966, and ran until 1971. It spawned a 1970 movie called "House of Dark Shadows."

Numerous actors starred in the series (some more playing than one character), so I'll give you an update on the main ones. Joan Bennett, who, among other characters, played Elizabeth Collins, appeared in a few TV movies before her death in 1990. Alexandra Isles, who played Victoria Winters, acts occasionally and does some behind-the-scenes work. Jonathan Frid, who portrayed the vampire Barnabas Collins, is retired from acting and is producing his own Web site; you can check it out at jonathanfrid.com. Grayson Hall (Julia Hoffman) died in 1985.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Reader Haunted by Dark Shadows
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 05:48:30 AM »
(some more playing than one character)

Oh, you're good - you even faithfully recreated the bizarre dyslexic syntax rather than fix it. I can certainly tell you're a Webmaster because ONLY a Webmaster (or someone who works on a Web site) would be that careful not to breach the copyright of the original material. [b003]

Thanks for posting this. :)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 07:39:22 AM »
Oh, you're good - you even faithfully recreated the bizarre dyslexic syntax rather than fix it.

Watched Star Wars: Episode 2 earlier tonight, so it just sounded like Yoda to me.  ;)

Actually, I was more taken by the writer's assertion that the only thing Grayson Hall apparently did following DS that was worthy of mention was dying. I figured the Julia fans would be all over this.  :o

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 03:54:29 PM »
Well, given that the writer (I use the term loosely, you understand) of this tiny gem of expository prose implied that DS only "spawned" ONE feature film, And that Joan only did "a few TV films" between 1971 and her passing, it's hardly to be expected that s/he would be aware of Grayson's post-DS career (which was more noted for stage work than films or TV).

Steve

Nancy

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 04:22:33 PM »
As you undoubtedly know, Gothick, the general public and entertainment writers tend to think that if an actor is not seen on TV or in films h/she has no career.  An actor can do nothing but theater for years and years, make a decent living, be happy and someone will assume since h/she isn't visible to the masses, that actor hasn't enjoyed a good career.   Jean Stapleton is a good example of this.  She doesn't do all that many TV programs or movies but she has enjoyed a varied and consistent career in her favorite medium - the stage - since All in the Family.   Almost every time I look at a trade paper geared towards the theater, she is in a show, getting ready to be in a show, was just in a show or being considered for another show.

Nancy

Well, given that the writer (I use the term loosely, you understand) of this tiny gem of expository prose implied that DS only "spawned" ONE feature film, And that Joan only did "a few TV films" between 1971 and her passing, it's hardly to be expected that s/he would be aware of Grayson's post-DS career (which was more noted for stage work than films or TV).

Steve