Author Topic: Sleepy Hollow.....formerly known as North Tarrytown.....  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Sleepy Hollow.....formerly known as North Tarrytown.....
« on: June 20, 2003, 12:32:45 AM »
.....officially changed it's name several years ago.  They got tired of being "North Some Other Town" and voted to change it.  At about the same time, they decided to make the best possible use of their most well known attributes and staged a "Haunted Halloween" event involving a hayride from Sleepy Hollow High School through property that adjoins the Cemetery and back again.  Of course, the requisite "ghosts", "goblins" and most importantly "The Headless Horsemen" made their appearances on cue.  My daughter, about nine at the time, never opened her eyes once.

I'm not sure they ever did it again.  It wasn't well organized and they probably lost money on it, rather than raised any.  And unfortunately, the Cemetery has, over the years been the target of appalling vandalism....including some horrific incidents of grave desecrations.

For some odd reason, it never occured to me that they used the Cemetery during the filming of the movie.  Just never thought about it.  But the next time I'm there (I have family in that Cemetery) I'm sure I'm going to be glimpsing the shade of Willie Loomis, on his way to his terrible fate.

Thanks for posting the montage, Pepe.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
Re:Sleepy Hollow.....formerly known as North Tarrytown.....
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 01:13:39 AM »
And thanks for the background information, Raineypark.  I didn't know it and I like the name Sleepy Hollow better than North Tarrytown too.

I like the montage too but the pop up to download whatever it is that wants to download is so annoying.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 01:22:37 AM »
I like the montage too but the pop up to download whatever it is that wants to download is so annoying.

Hmmm-there's nothing else to download. :-  I have absolutely no idea what sort of pop-up you might be getting, [idontknow] but I swear it's not coming from the forum. :(

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 01:31:47 AM »
Raineypark...you've been there?
Was it to see the 'Haunted Hayride", or to see where they filmed DS?

How were the people there?

How long after the 1970 filming was your visit?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 01:53:37 AM »
Patti, I have family who live in Tarrytown.  I've been visiting them there since I was a small child....45 years at least.  We played on the grounds at Lyndhurst.

I didn't find out that DS was shooting up there until it was all over.  I think my Aunt and Uncle made sure we didn't because we would have tortured them endlessly for the chance to go and watch.

Last year I happened to be up there during the annual Halloween event at Lyndhurst that some of our members attend each year.....but I was just hanging out with my cousins, as usual!

And now I'm thinking this topic no longer belongs on Current Talk.......MB?....Midnite?....Dom?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 02:50:55 AM »

Hmmm-there's nothing else to download. :-  I have absolutely no idea what sort of pop-up you might be getting, [idontknow] but I swear it's not coming from the forum. :(

I imagine my question belongs on the testing board, but since the topic is here, I'll just go ahead and inquire:  can the montages be downloaded?  I use to do it all the time because they're so marvelous.  I have an entire zipdisc filled with them.  But I can't download them anymore, whether I'm using AOL, internet explorer or netscape.  Is there a way to download them?  It's been so long since I've been able to do it, that I don't remember anymore the last one I copied.

Gerard

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 09:48:46 AM »
I'm not sure they ever did it again.  It wasn't well organized and they probably lost money on it, rather than raised any.

Rainey, was this about five years ago?  The reason Im asking is because I had taken my girls there for the Haunted hayride and found it very chaotic myself.  I couldn't tell who we were suppose to be afraid of, the goblins or the people who work there themselves,lol!!  If Im not mistaken I think they did have for a few years afterwards but now that my kids are older I haven't really paid much attention to it.

And unfortunately, the Cemetery has, over the years been the target of appalling vandalism....including some horrific incidents of grave desecrations.

That's terrible!  Where the heck are the groundskeepers?

Eleanor_Rigby wrote:
I like the montage too but the pop up to download whatever it is that wants to download is so annoying

Eleanor, are you talking about the Quick Time box?  That's what I see popping up alot on the board.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 01:36:50 PM »
Rainey, was this about five years ago?  The reason Im asking is because I had taken my girls there for the Haunted hayride and found it very chaotic myself.  I couldn't tell who we were suppose to be afraid of, the goblins or the people who work there themselves,lol!!  If Im not mistaken I think they did have for a few years afterwards but now that my kids are older I haven't really paid much attention to it.

I think maybe closer to 7 years ago....I'm thinking my daughter had to be younger than 11.  But I don't know if they kept it up or not.  It was a shame, really, because if ever there was a town with a claim to Halloween, it's Sleepy Hollow.  But they insisted on doing it themselves, instead of bringing in a group like "Haunted Hayrides" which used to run here on Long Island and THEY did an EXCELLENT job...we did THOSE for YEARS!!

And unfortunately, the Cemetery has, over the years been the target of appalling vandalism....including some horrific incidents of grave desecrations

That's terrible!  Where the heck are the groundskeepers?

I'm afraid even the most dedicated employees can't be held responsible for the depraved actions of a bunch of drunk/stoned/stupid teenagers.  I can't imagine how crazy one has to be to disturb a grave.   :(

Dylan Thomas

Nancy

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 03:10:41 PM »
In 1990 (I think it was) Jonathan Frid did a fundraiser at the Old Dutch Church at the cemetary in Sleepy Hollow and read the famous "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" story.  That reading was immediately capped by a man with a glowing pumpkin head riding through by the church windows (in view of the audience) on horseback.  It was pretty cool. >:D  Raised some good money for the church which was being renovated at the time.

Nancy

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2003, 05:37:14 PM »
Fabulous work with this montage, MB.  I particularly love the little shot of Eliot vamping it up.  I always want to capture this photo: "ROGER, I told you not to take that doughnut!"  (It may be too scandalous to report on this Board, but I've read in several sources, starting I believe with the original KLS MY DS Scrapbook, that Roger Davis was constantly trying to steal the doughnuts Thayer David would bring to the studio to snack on.  There's also a story about Thayer and Grayson's fondness for small red bananas, that I think Grayson bought at some Chinatown produce mart.)

Gerard, I think the MB put a block up to keep folks from downloading any of the images posted here.  I forget the reason but I believe it involved bandwidth (you know, that weird thing programmers always invoke when they're doing something arcane they don't want us to know the REAL reason for).  It may have to do with the DCP copyright, though, for all I know.

MB, how about a nice, juicy montage focusing on Don Briscoe's shirtless scenes in hoDS? that would make jennifer and me really, really happy.

purring, Gothick

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2003, 06:27:13 PM »
Maybe this is where the "Haunted Newport" idea came about.  It sounds like a blast, but that's not surprising since I'm wild about both Halloween and Newport (including a certain great house by the sea).  I know last year's event included the haunted hayride:

http://www.austensharp.com/hauntedcalendar.htm

I imagine my question belongs on the testing board, but since the topic is here, I'll just go ahead and inquire:  can the montages be downloaded?  I use to do it all the time because they're so marvelous.  I have an entire zipdisc filled with them.  But I can't download them anymore, whether I'm using AOL, internet explorer or netscape.  Is there a way to download them?  It's been so long since I've been able to do it, that I don't remember anymore the last one I copied.

He may not have seen your request yet, Gerard.  The Testing board is your best bet for calling things to his attention quickly, but it's no big that this is here and I'll call his attention to it.

(It may be too scandalous to report on this Board, but I've read in several sources, starting I believe with the original KLS MY DS Scrapbook, that Roger Davis was constantly trying to steal the doughnuts Thayer David would bring to the studio to snack on.  There's also a story about Thayer and Grayson's fondness for small red bananas, that I think Grayson bought at some Chinatown produce mart.)

You are too funny, Gothick!  I know you're teasing, but to clarify for anyone else that may be wondering, we have no problem with someone repeating what's in KLS' books, or what they heard from the stage at a Fest or other public event for that matter.  This way the comment is the responsibility of the author/publisher or speaker respectively.  It's when conclusions are drawn here or gossip is repeated that the forum becomes vulnerable.  One of my kids is webmaster of a YaBB forum and a friend was appointed as Global Moderator.  My child is the webmaster and the GM is the one that reads all the posts and is supposed to insure that the visitors comply with the rules.  Unfortunately, it was a completely thoughtless post by the GM that resulted in the local police and school contacting me.  If you could see my face right now, you'd know how thrilled I was to learn that the comment was there.  Not only was it mean-spirited and highly embarrassing, but it exposed me (as parent to the owner of the site) to a potential lawsuit, though of course I made sure the comment went *poof*immediately and the GM with it.  :)  Anyway, the reason I'm telling this is to show that we have the guideline about repeating gossip just as much to protect the owners of this forum as to keep it as pleasant as possible here for everyone.

Gerard, I think the MB put a block up to keep folks from downloading any of the images posted here.  I forget the reason but I believe it involved bandwidth (you know, that weird thing programmers always invoke when they're doing something arcane they don't want us to know the REAL reason for).  It may have to do with the DCP copyright, though, for all I know.

LOL, Gothick.  There's no block; just a disabled right click for security purposes.  I'll let MB explain...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - QuickTime popup
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2003, 06:40:55 PM »
Eleanor_Rigby wrote:
I like the montage too but the pop up to download whatever it is that wants to download is so annoying

Eleanor, are you talking about the Quick Time box?  That's what I see popping up alot on the board.

That popup asks you to update QuickTime.  If you'd prefer to not update, the topic "** NEW FEATURE - IM Sounds ** / IM E-Mail Notifications" on Testing 1,2,3 explains how to get rid of it.

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2003, 09:17:04 PM »
Thanks Midnite!  :)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2003, 09:51:46 PM »
Talk about scary, I saw a grave stone in the cemetary with my name on it.  I believe it was from the 1800s?  It gave me chills.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2003, 10:04:27 PM »
Talk about scary, I saw a grave stone in the cemetary with my name on it.  I believe it was from the 1800s?  It gave me chills.

No kidding. It's a Sicilian tradition (in my family anyway) to name the first two boys and girls in your family after your Father's and Mother's parents, respectively. So when you end up attending their funerals you end up seeing your name on their tombstones. A very "weird" experience...

I have so many Joeys in my family it's not funny! LOL. (Oops, I guess it *is* funny) ;D

dom