Author Topic: Everybody's a pianist (and other random thoughts)  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Everybody's a pianist (and other random thoughts)
« on: June 18, 2003, 11:14:28 PM »
I don't think it's just because I play the piano, but I was so tickled to see two different characters (Alexis and Bruno) tickling the ivories today (Wednesday).  I began asking myself, "Is everybody a pianist?"  I loved Bruno's over-the-top swaying while he casually carried on a conversation with Quentin (how subtle).   ::)

The legendary afghan-now-as-piano-cover added yet another subtle touch.

The way Bruno winced when his blood sample was drawn, you'd think Dr. Longworth had used a screwdriver instead of a hypodermic needle.  :D

I remember as a kid seeing Dr. Longworth's wire-framed glasses and thinking how cool they were -- a radical departure from the '50s and '60s-style horn-rimmed and tortoise-shell frames.  I HAD to get new glasses like that!  8)

And to see both Quentin's burnt orange blazer AND Bruno's disco ensemble in the same shot ... they were so loud together, I wanted to turn down the volume on my set.  ;)

Just being silly today,
Ben

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Everybody's a pianist (and other random thoughts)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 12:48:45 AM »
Hello, Ben your'e funny and thanks for
making me smile!!!  I know The Q-man's
suit was a bit bright!!  think i should of
put sunglasses on!!!  But he did look
goregous in that blue suit YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!
             Love Anne ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :P :P
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 12:51:49 AM »
I play the piano too :D

I have the DS sheet music. I have tried to learn how to play "Ode to Angelique" but it's really hard. It has all those rolling scales and I hate those.[crazd]

I'm having better luck with Joanna's Theme.  [hello]

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 01:06:15 AM »
I play the piano too :D
I have the DS sheet music. I have tried to learn how to play "Ode to Angelique" but it's really hard. It has all those rolling scales and I hate those.[crazd]

See, you proved my point ... everybody's a pianist today!  ;D  It's great to run into another player here!

I know what you mean about the rolling scales.  But you can still capture the sense of the piece if you just play the bass notes at the beginning of each measure, adding whatever you can on your left hand.

Of course, swaying violently back and forth while you play will compensate for any notes you skip, and I'm sure it'll enhance the understated mood that Bruno no doubt was trying to create.   8)

Ben

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 04:22:17 AM »

Ben, I will always remember how beautifully you played the piano for our little informal gathering the Sat. nite of the LA DS fest last year!  It was a highlight of my first big fest experience!  Thank You so much for sharing your amazing musical talent with us! And accompaning Prof. Stokes during her marvelous rendition of "Dream Curse"!

I hope that someday we can all get together again and relive those fun moments!  Even though if we do I'm sure Midnite will limit my wine consumption!  ;) [8285]

Always, Minja [coolbrows]
[/color]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 06:10:46 AM »
I don't think it's just because I play the piano, but I was so tickled to see two different characters (Alexis and Bruno) tickling the ivories today (Wednesday).  I began asking myself, "Is everybody a pianist?"  I loved Bruno's over-the-top swaying while he casually carried on a conversation with Quentin (how subtle).   ::)

The legendary afghan-now-as-piano-cover added yet another subtle touch.

The way Bruno winced when his blood sample was drawn, you'd think Dr. Longworth had used a screwdriver instead of a hypodermic needle.  :D

heehee
yes i thought Bruno  was too much today! The one hit wonder boy! Angelique must have been really bored to put up with him!He did have great veins though and after 25 years of drawing blood i've never seen any one hold a needle like Cyrus!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 06:14:16 AM »
and after 25 years of drawing blood i've never seen any one hold a needle like Cyrus!

That's because Cyrus was using the PT method. ;)

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 05:00:31 PM »
Ah yes, the head rolling while playing the piano scene from Bruno.  Oddly, that scene has always stuck in my mind and I'll even mimic it sometimes when I'm listening to piano music, pretending to play.  It's even become a private joke between myself and Mrs. Julian.  I remember seeing Babs Streisand singing "You'll never walk alone" a while back and she was doing so many strange things with her head that I began to wonder if she wasn't possessed by the spirit of PT Bruno. 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 06:13:52 PM »
I ***LOVED*** Ode to Angelique back in the day.  I saw in 16 magazine that a 45 of it was out and looked EVERYWHERE for it, but of course could not find it.

We did not have a cassette recorder then, so I never got to make a tape of it, but they played it so frequently on the show that I soon memorized the tune.

It was a huge thrill for me when all the different arrangements came out on the one DS CD.  I found the original 45 a somewhat disappointing arrangement when I finally got to hear it.

Joanna's theme is beautiful, in my opinion--one of my favorite Bob Cobert tunes.

I really wish there had been a moment where Hoffman turned to Bruno, arched an eyebrow, gave him a smile so frosty it left icicles on his schnozz, and purred "Composer?  Come off it, babe, you were never more than an uppity Las Vegas lounge act!"

another missed opportunity,

G.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2003, 07:36:58 PM »
Oh Steve. . you have such an imagination!  Thank God!
Julia99

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2003, 08:28:39 PM »
Oh Steve. . you have such an imagination!  Thank God!

Thank goddess! [wink2] Lol...

d.

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2003, 11:13:11 PM »
Ben, I will always remember how beautifully you played the piano for our little informal gathering the Sat. nite of the LA DS fest last year!  It was a highlight of my first big fest experience!  Thank You so much for sharing your amazing musical talent with us! And accompaning Prof. Stokes during her marvelous rendition of "Dream Curse"!

I hope that someday we can all get together again and relive those fun moments!  Even though if we do I'm sure Midnite will limit my wine consumption!  ;) [8285]

You're so sweet, Minja!  Thanks for your kind words  :)  I remember the piano party fondly, getting to play my favorite tunes and making many new friends in the process (as well as $6 in tips) -- what more could I ask for?  I don't think there was any need for Midnite to limit your wine consumption!  Well, not really ...   ;D

Yeah, wasn't Prof. Stokes a bundle of talent?

I hope to help entertain at a future gathering, although at the moment there's not a very good chance it'll be at this September's fest.   :'(  I hope there'll still be other events where we can catch up.

Ben

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2003, 04:12:38 AM »
and after 25 years of drawing blood i've never seen any one hold a needle like Cyrus!

That's because Cyrus was using the PT method. ;)

heehee that's pretty good MB!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2003, 08:46:52 PM »
 :-  Even I am a pianist. I didn't know the music for some DS themes was made available. I remember picking out Quentin's Theme on my own, but is there some place that might have other themes for sale?
                                                                                      Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2003, 09:13:18 PM »
There's a book of arrangements that came out, I believe, from KLS' publishing house--the Pomegranate Press.

I meant to pick up a copy at the time, as it had some unique photos.  I'm not sure whether it's in print or note. There's always abebook and such.

G.