Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0375  (Read 808 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0375
« on: January 20, 2013, 04:54:58 AM »
Robservations - #375

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0375

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:05:54 PM »
More proof that the countess loves her niece dearly, almost like a daughter. Very delicately she asks if Josette is afraid of marriage--or of Barnabas. Of course what she means is, Is Josette afraid of sex? She is reassured when Josette insists she would marry Barnabas tonight. But not even her gentle teasing will persuade Josette to go with Barnabas to the cabinet makers' to choose the furniture she will live with for the rest of her life.

Natalie also tells Josette she didn't miss a thing by not coming to lunch: "Cook thinks that using wine to prepare fish is against her religious principles and Mrs. Collins sees no reason to replace her." So the bad food at Collinwood is also traditional.

Ben must watch helplessly as Jeremiah downs yet another fateful toddy.

The countess tries to talk Barnabas into marrying Josette tonight, but Barnabas protests that they are expecting guests, etc., etc. She reproaches Barnabas and his family, saying they are too conventional. Later, she sends Barnabas upstairs to be with Josette. If there’s no other reason for marrying Josette, it’s because you are her aunt, Barnabas tells her gallantly.

Is this our very first look at the famous gazebo set? If so, welcome!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:19:09 AM »
Does anyone know why Jeremiah has a medallion hanging from his belt line? I was thinking it was a war medal of some sort but it doesn't look like it really. Could it be a fashion accessory? Or maybe a family crest ID of some sort? Barnabas has one as well. I'd guess that Joshua does also.

Loved the scene of Barn teaching Ben to write -- Fun & endearing.

Barn & Jeremiah: Good scene. I really liked Frid here despite him flubbing his lines. I think I have to agree with the direction Jeremiah is going with not telling Barn about Josette.

Ben & Ange: More great stuff. These two are fabulous together. So much is revealed when they are together. Ben kind of reminds me of the David Collins character in that he usually calls it as he sees it and he usually sees it for what it really is. It's so riveting, not just in a suspenseful way but also for the comfort of realism, which I really enjoy in this crazy supernatural setting.

Jeremiah & Josette: Interesting scene because I was wondering just what Josette was feeling after being rejected by Jeremiah in the previous episode. It seemed as though he shook the spell out of her, but I wasn't sure if Josette was reacting to being rejected or being embarrassed at what she was doing or had done. Today's scene between them inside & outside the Old House doors gave me a sense that Josette ran from Jeremiah yesterday out of embarrassment and confusion, not rejection. This is my favorite scene in this episode - I love Love LOVE IT! Maybe it's my imagination but Anthony and Scott have fabulous chemistry in this scene. I loved everything about it -- the acting (rare for George IMO), Scott's voice (seeming to be in a lower register than usual -- again, perhaps my imagination), the writing, the lighting... I found myself imagining a relationship between Burke & Maggie, that's how taken I was with the whole thing. Josette ending the conversation saying she'd kill herself before hurting Barnabas was fabulous. And the wracked-with-guilt, self-loathing scene with the mirror was a great closing for the scene-- thank you for not crying out loud in self-disgust, lol. As the episode progresses I start second guessing myself if Josette is still upset with herself or actually struggling against the spell (I'm so confused!). Though, at episode's end a seemingly unconflicted Josette seeks out a seemingly unconflicted Jeremiah -- both under Angelique's spell and under the observance of a shocked Natalie. This should make for some good upcoming drama.

Random thoughts: Most of the acting was superb but I am still not feeling Grayson as Natalie. Ben's gone from a never-in-the-house fire-builder to an in-house male servant seemingly overnight. The lack of the other family members seems quite ridiculous, regardless of the five-cast member rule. Barn’s & Jeremiah’s rooms are both very nice sets. Anyone recognize the 1967 counterparts? Much has been made of the differences between Martinique & Maine in this episode. Top billing is alternating between Frid & George.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 08:53:20 PM »
I don't recall seeing the gazebo before this. I wonder when it was built. It certainly survived in good shape.
Angelique casts spells in an evil manner unlike her nighttime counterpart Samantha. ABC Satan's network.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
Barnabas's one-room--and one-student--schoolhouse is one of my favorite scenes in the whole series, absolutely delightful and wonderfully performed. But then, I like all the scenes with Barnabas and Ben.

I love Ben's line, If learning to write is so hard, how do children ever do it?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 10:18:03 AM »
One if the nicest things in DS is Barnabas's teaching Ben to read and better himself, leading eventually to a descendant of Ben's becoming a brilliant college professor.   DS does have a point of view, and statements about the world, and the way it should be.   In this case, no one's inferior, and unable to learn and improve.   You aren't worthless just because society puts you into some class or group.

Ben must watch helplessly as Jeremiah downs yet another fateful toddy.

Despite my not being very likely to laugh these day, I would have, f I'd heard the word "toddy" in that scene just one more time....

If there’s no other reason for marrying Josette, it’s because you are her aunt, Barnabas tells her gallantly.

I swear, Barnabas seemed to be inordinately pleased with himself and his powers of smarminess, right after delivering that remark!

Is this our very first look at the famous gazebo set? If so, welcome!

Is it a gazebo?  It seems to be some sort of decorative brick meeting place, without that gazebo dome or the rest of any circular structure behind what we see.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »
I was wondering the same thing. Funny thing is, as soon as this structure was referred to as the gazebo, I instantly saw a DS gazebo (the kind you are talking about, Magnus) in my head, so now I am wondering if there is ever a modern style gazebo on the the show or if it is just my imagination. Quit messin' with my head, Magnus. :)