Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0367  (Read 648 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0367
« on: January 09, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
Robservations - #367

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0367

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:39:22 AM »
I felt sorry for Vicki...she wakes up, thinks she seeing the kindly Mrs. Johnson, but instead she meets the unforgiving, unyielding witch expert Abigail Collins. Abigail tags her as a witch right away, locks her in the room, so Vicki has to escape out the window.

She then goes to Collinwood, and here comes who she thinks is her beloved Burke Devlin who is not dead after all...only to find out he's Jeremiah Collins. It was very nice and gentlemanly of Jeremiah for apologizing for not being the man she thought he was. I think it's obvious where Barnabas got his gentle nature from...Jeremiah and mother Naomi. Certainly not from Joshua and definitely not from Abigail.

Great scenes between Joshua, Naomi, Abigail and Jeremiah too. When Abigail accuses Jeremiah of being bewitched by Vicki's beauty, Jeremiah shoots back with Vicki's beauty has made Abigail envious. I love it!

Naomi accuses Abigail of being intentionally cruel to Vicki, and Abigail retorts that Naomi is only capable of running the house when she's 'sober' (not her exact words but we all know what she meant). After hiring Vicki, Joshua is disgusted that both his wife and his sister were eavesdropping and Abigail insists that now Joshua has also been blinded by Vicki's looks.

The 1897 branch of the family threw a lot of barbs against each other, but in this episode at least the 1795 Collins family could also dish it out with the insults.

I really enjoyed this episode.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 06:58:27 AM »
Things are moving along, with friend and foe lines being drawn quickly. I like it.

Favorite line: “Witches don't cry over men they love.”

I enjoyed this episode -- a lot going on & no time wasted – two new characters, both rather harsh and one, terribly scary (not to mention dangerous).

I can’t fault anyone’s acting in this episode. Bennett seems a wee bit unsure but I don’t know if it’s nerves or acting so I am giving her the benefit of the doubt.

So far, Sarah & Jeremiah & Naomi are friends of Vicki, Abigail is a foe and Barn is leaning towards friend and Joshua is firmly on the fence but not to be trusted.

Vicki said, “Yes, I understand.”

I liked that Jeremiah did not continue to insult Abigail regarding her being jealous of Vicki's good looks after she accused him of being beguiled by them. It pretty much sums up his character's nature in 10 seconds.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 04:19:39 PM »
Since I see that we didn't mention it last time around, it's probably worth pointing out that this ep is one of the rare exceptions where the color master tape was discovered after the ep had been shown for years in syndication as a B&W kinescope. I still remember the thrill of the first time I saw it in color on the Sci-Fi Channel back in December of '95. It was a nice Christmas present to many of us.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 08:06:07 PM »
WELCOME, ABIGAIL COLLINS!  [snow_smiley]

JB's clothes and jewels are drop-dead gorgeous but can't disguise Naomi's deep unhappiness. I've always loved Naomi--she is one of my top favorite characters. Surely she is responsible for Barnabas's courtly grace and gentleness and for Sarah's sweetness. And now, of course, we know exactly why Barnabas is so partial to Elizabeth in our time.

Jeremiah's blue velvet coat is also a knockout. He is very nice to Vicki. And as the story unfolds, keep in mind his comment that witches don't cry over the men they love.

Vicki actually shows some enterprise in this episode. She climbs out an upstairs window (maybe she can walk across a dormer or something into the next room) to escape and then actually tells Joshua a teeny tiny fib when she says she was educated in a foundling home--in Boston.

And yes, this episode does clip along. Even more excitement to come!  [snow_smiley]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 01:10:51 AM »
The voiceover tells us that time has stood still and that Vickie is trapped in the past even if she is unaware of what is going on the audience has been informed.  That the year is 1795 is staed again. I wonder what the original audience thought of what was going on? Were they confused as Vickie is? 
I liked Vickie meeting Jeremiah at Collinwood, but all the time wanted it to be the real Burke  Vickie does realize that she has nowhere to go and knows nobody in a time when a single woman had few options.  The only thing familiar is a way is Collinwood.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times