Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0366  (Read 763 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0366
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:47:02 PM »
Robservations - #366

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0366

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:00:01 PM »
I love the cover of my MPI DS Volume 28 VHS tape. It’s a shot of Frid as Barn on the decaying “Old House” porch. This is my ‘tied for first place’ favorite DS location photo shoot. Just pulling out the tape to watch episode # 366 put a smile on my face.

I’d wondered if the white brick façade of the Old House was a blooper but it isn’t. Why it is red in the future is beyond me. And why there is a tail on the 'c' of facade in the previous sentence is even further beyond me.

Alexandra in is this episode but is not doing the opening voiceover. I wonder if this is a first. Also wondering how much thought was put into having Joan Bennett do the voiceover: Just a whim or was there intent behind the choice?

Where in goodness' name did the family history album come from? Why does Vicki have that? Isn’t it out of the blue? Did I miss something? No, I guess not, not even she knows how she got it.

Right now what I want to know most of all is if Phyllis Wick would have been in a carriage accident had it not been for the séance? And I will probably never know the answer to that question.

As soon as Naomi Collins walked into Collins House I was reminded of Magnus’ comment that they should have gone to color during this point in time. Her outfit was befitting a munchkin and she looked like one standing behind that oversized chair, lol. Loved the outfit; love the color; Bennett looked lovely. Unfortunately Bennett turned in the worst performance of the episode flubbing some lines. Second place for bad performance goes to Joel Crothers who sounds utterly uncomfortable with his lines. That said, I am wondering if the unsupernatural performances are more comfortable for Frid & Smyth because they gave practically flawless performances, most amazingly Smyth -- she was even likable! Frid looks older than ever to me. 

This episode must have been very thrilling back in 1967. I imagine this storyline must have brought in a slew of new viewers. It certainly is grapevine worthy and the whole concept is very exciting.

The writing is lacking in my opinion but, DS & this storyline and 1967 television, really doesn’t lend itself to stark realism. Though I reserve the right to piss & moan about in the future, lol. Today I just want to sit back and enjoy the newness and excitement. This episode wouldn't make my top ten but I enjoyed it very much.

"Au revoir, Miss Winters! That's French! I'm learning it for the wedding. I'm going to be a flower girl." How adorable was that?

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:06:56 PM »
I've changed my mind. Bennett may have flubbed her line but otherwise gave a great performance.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 08:13:24 PM »
Glad to hear you changed your mind, dom!

I love love love the clothes in 1795! Some of JB's outfits are just gorgeous.

I also love seeing Barnabas as he was. He has all the world before him. He is the heir to a prosperous business and a great fortune. He is looking forward to a life time and no doubt a family of his own with the woman he loves. He has a youthful, light-hearted, gregarious spirit. His open, handsome face is unmarred by grief or anger or horror--or shame. He takes Vicki upstairs to the little room that will be hers, then says that his mother will be coming home soon. She'll know what to do, he tells Vicki, then, typically male, he retreats.

Somehow the multicolor granny-square afghan has also traveled back through time and is folded at the foot of Vicki’s bed.

My least favorite part of the 1795 story--which otherwise is amazing--is Vicki. Oh well.

I love seeing Barn and Sarah together--very sweet!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:29:17 AM »
It is nice to see Barnabas as he was before the curse...he has a more gentle and generous feeling about him.

I think Jonathan actually looks younger than he did before. I think that was the point to contrast the human Barnabas up against vampire Barnabas.

I too enjoy the scenes between Barnabas and Sarah. [spoiler] I really wish we could have seen more scenes between them as the story goes along. [/spoiler]

LOL at Nathan's "I don't know who Joe is but if that's who you want me to be, that's who'll I'll be!" (I know those were the exact words but still)....I guess I can't blame Vicki for freaking out, getting hit on by the man who resembles her best friend's fiance. I can see why that would make her feel uncomfortable.

I liked how Barnabas was very gentlemantly toward Vicki even if he did find her behavior (not to mention her clothes!) a bit odd. Another contrast to the Barnabas of the present....I still remember how rude and nasty he was to Julia when they first met as she was introducing herself as an historian.

I agree that Joan's costumes as Naomi are simply stunning.

I've made no secret how much I love the going back into the past stories. I simply love 1795.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:14:16 AM »
Me too! And I totally agree with your spoiler.

I also like how the Old House--that is, the original Collinwood--is full of daylight and brightness, with quite different furniture in a lighter, more elegant style than Barnabas has had Willie install. I'm sure Naomi is responsible.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 03:35:23 AM »
I agree with you, IlB, I also liked & appreciated how the Barnabas character was accommodating to Vicki despite her odd behavior and her odd apparel, and this was all before he had knowledge of the carriage accident as a possible explanation. Thank goodness Vicki didn't meet Joshua first, lol.