Author Topic: 1968: The Year of the Vampiric Angelique's Desperate Gambit!  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
1968: The Year of the Vampiric Angelique's Desperate Gambit!
« on: December 27, 2012, 04:38:22 PM »
Hey gang,

In watching the Adam-and-Eve DS storyline the other day, I was intrigued when Angelique "enlisted" the aid of Jeff Clark in an attempt to rid herself of warlock Nicholas Blair's vampire curse, by providing the "life-force" for Dr. Hoffman's creation and escaping Nicholas' curse in the new female body.

After Angelique had put the "bite" on poor Jeff (who, as an apparent man of the 18th century somehow knows all about wiring up and operating state-of-the-art 20th century electronic medical equipment, go figure!), she forces Vicky's fiancee to "rev-up" Dr. Lang's Victor  Frankenstein-like gizmos.

However, at up to this point, the female body had been fully wrapped in surgical gauze.   Maybe I'm just naturally suspicious or even cynical, but wouldn't the extremely beautiful Angelique have wanted to "check out the "merchandise," so to speak, before providing the "life-force" for the "new" Angelique?  I mean, I don't intend to sound to be too "superficial," but what if Angelique had discovered after  the, hopefully, successful experiment, that Angelique now looked like, say, Mrs. Lift, the odious and oh-so-repulsive "Momma" from the film, "Throw Momma from the Train," or even worse, Angelique now looked like that world-renowned singer Alice Cooper, whom Johnny Depp's Barnabas characterized as "THE ugliest woman I've ever seen!"? [santa_shocked] [santa_angry]   

Wouldn't Angelique now have buyer's (or more to the point "life-force" donor's) regret? [santa_cry]

Maybe Angelique just might have wished she had remained that drop-dead gorgeous vampire in that almost virginal white dress of hers? [santa_huh] [santa_sad]

Bob

PS Happy New Year!!!  We all made it past 12/21/12 and we're all still here to watch and schmooze about our beloved Dark Shadows for at least another millennium!  [8_2_73] [8_2_59] [ChristmaS3]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: 1968: The Year of the Vampiric Angelique's Desperate Gambit!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 07:10:30 PM »
Like most of her other plans, Angelique apparently didn't think this through. Perhaps being in an "inferior" body would have triggered a whole brand of vengeance.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 02:42:11 AM »
Uncle Roger,

Yes, Angelique's "strategic" planning did  leave a lot to be desired.  Then again, judging by how "well" both the Adam-and-Eve and Leviathan-comeback plans worked out, Angelique's boss, warlock Nicholas Blair, was hardly perspicacious or prescient in his long-range planning either.  (Did Nicholas think that having Angelique turn Tom Jennings into one of the "living dead" was really going to help his plans?) [santa_huh]

Alas, if only Nicholas' "brilliance" could have equaled his unremitting narcissism. [santa_rolleyes] [santa_cheesy] [santa_grin]

Bob

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:36:43 PM »
But then he wouldn't have been the Nicholas we know and, um, love! And it's only fitting that his main fault should be the first deadly sin.  [santa_smiley]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 06:52:57 PM »
I loved how Nicholas always gave Angelique a hard time about her feelings for Barnabas especially when she was passing herself off as Cassandra, yet he ends up falling head over heals in love with Maggie.

I always wondered had the show continued, would Diabolos have been generous to have given Nicholas a third chance? He'd already screwed up twice with the plans for world domination, first with Adam and then Jeb.

As to Angelique checking out Eve's body before she tried the experiment....well I think it's a safe bet that she probably figured Barnabas and Julia were careful to make sure the mate looked like a raving beauty, at least pretty enough for Adam's standards.

And as evil as she turned out to be, I would have to say that Eve was gorgeous.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 08:32:14 PM »
I assumed the lifeforce transfer would work as it had with Barnabas and Adam; that is, Angelique would be free of the curse while Eve would live as a separate entity.  The downside being, of course, that whatever happened to Eve would effect Angelique, and vice versa.  Still not a fantastic plan, though.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:31:09 PM »
I assumed the lifeforce transfer would work as it had with Barnabas and Adam; that is, Angelique would be free of the curse while Eve would live as a separate entity.  The downside being, of course, that whatever happened to Eve would effect Angelique, and vice versa.  Still not a fantastic plan, though.

That would have provided a great deal of humor.  Imagine Angelique trying to control and drag Marie Wallace's Eve everywhere with her on the basis that their fates are tied.  I think she pretty soon would have regretted that choice.
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 12:54:22 AM »
I smell a sitcom ...!
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 11:37:37 PM »
I loved how Nicholas always gave Angelique a hard time about her feelings for Barnabas especially when she was passing herself off as Cassandra, yet he ends up falling head over heals in love with Maggie.

I always wondered had the show continued, would Diabolos have been generous to have given Nicholas a third chance? He'd already screwed up twice with the plans for world domination, first with Adam and then Jeb.

As to Angelique checking out Eve's body before she tried the experiment....well I think it's a safe bet that she probably figured Barnabas and Julia were careful to make sure the mate looked like a raving beauty, at least pretty enough for Adam's standards.

And as evil as she turned out to be, I would have to say that Eve was gorgeous.

ILuvBarnabas,

In one of Dale Clark's superb Dark Shadows novels, Nicholas Blair does return for, yet, a third try at world domination.  (You'll have to read the story to see how Dark Shadows' answer to George Hamilton makes out this time.) [easter_grin] [easter_wink]

Bob 

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 05:44:24 PM »
I seem to recall one particularly ultraphantasmagoric episode with three female characters...Angelique, Eve and Vicki.

ang and eve have some sort of bickering match in their diaphanous chiffon sugar-plum-fairy-from-hell getups outside Collinwood. cut to a scene with Vicki, in her usual Ohrbach's sleeveless number, and Jeff(again, bickering)and in her normalcy(Alexandra, incidentally, nearing her end on the series and turning in a blander than usual performance)almost seems like a character from another series. or planet.

it was a strange period on the series. [easter_undecided]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 03:10:04 AM »
ang and eve have some sort of bickering match in their diaphanous chiffon sugar-plum-fairy-from-hell getups outside Collinwood.

Yes, the Dueling Outdoor Nighties, Eve black and Ang white....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 10:24:37 PM »
LOL.  Just imagine if Liz had shown up to join Vampilique and Eve's party wearing the "infamous roll-neck chartreuse horror" we all love and adore...

Trippy!

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 12:33:28 AM »
Too bad the two just didn't decide to duke it out, ala Krystle/Alexis/Dynasty fight with hair-pulling and chiffon ripping. 

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 12:50:17 AM »
I used to wonder if eve's black chiffon wasn't a recycling of liz's gown-and-jewels getup from episode one. minus the jewels...

did we determine awhile back whether or not it was? marie was a good deal taller than joan.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.