Author Topic: Carolyn's Make-Up  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Carolyn's Make-Up
« on: June 12, 2003, 08:56:04 AM »
As I've been watching these shows lately I've noticed the big change in Carolyn's eye make since the early days on the show.  What are they doing to her eyes?  I remember how lovely her eyes looked during the Adam storyline and how they always looked so vibrant and pretty, but now her eyes always look so droopy and sad looking.  Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this change?  I liked the old way much better.  It's almost like they're still using the "Charity Trask spinster" eye make up on her.

Deb

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Carolyn's Make-Up
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 01:10:24 PM »
Deb...soon you'll find Carolyn even more beautiful... :)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 02:52:24 PM »
Hi Deb, I think it has a lot to do with "the times" and the character(s). I just wonder if the changes are the choice of the actress or the staff.

dom

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 03:14:11 PM »
If you ask me, the entire female cast looks like they've been taking payola from Mary Quant Cosmetics.  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 04:20:36 PM »
Guys--it was the Sixties!!  Just have a look at old fashion mags from the period.  They seldom got into the really outrageous stuff on Dark Shadows, like the little pearls pasted under the eyelids, or the extra-curl false eyelashes.

The same goes for the hair.  I was just watching I Dream of Jeannie last weekend.  What went on with Barbara Eden's hairpieces on that show makes Angelique's PT 1970 hair look quite restrained by comparison!

I'm now totally confused about what topics belong here.  I would have thought this topic would have belonged on current chat?  I've basically given up trying to understand.  As dear Grayson once comment, "Who can figure anything?"  Definitely applies to these boards.

Love to all, Gothick

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 05:28:22 PM »
I'm now totally confused about what topics belong here.  I would have thought this topic would have belonged on current chat?  I've basically given up trying to understand.  As dear Grayson once comment, "Who can figure anything?"  Definitely applies to these boards.

You're absolutely right about where it belongs and as you can see it's been moved.  There's a brief explanation for each board on the Home page that's repeated on the board itself.  It's sometimes difficult, I agree, but I think it'll get easier for all of us as the newness of having separate boards wears off.

Offline boykading

• Junior Poster
  • Arggh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 06:03:35 PM »
I think it's also her hair -- that honey blond is not doing her justice. She really needs the lighter blond she used to have to brighten up her fair coloring. I should know -- I'm in the same boat. And what a white boat it is. :)

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2003, 08:20:06 PM »
What are they doing to her eyes?  I remember how lovely her eyes looked during the Adam storyline and how they always looked so vibrant and pretty, but now her eyes always look so droopy and sad looking

I happen to notice that too Deb!  Just the other day my Mother and I were watching the show and she asked me if Carolyn is still wearing make-up on the show.   I thought the "sad eye" look maybe had something to do with her relationship with Jeb, being in so much turmoil, but now that you've mentioned it, she does seem to be stuck in the Charity Trask make up mode.

Actually I thought the "60's" make up looked better on her.  She needs eye liner or something to bring out her pretty eye color.  Maybe the "no make up" look was suppose to be a more "70's" look, since we are now into the year 1970 on the show.

I think it's also her hair -- that
 honey blond is not doing her justice. She really needs the lighter blond she used to have to brighten up her fair coloring. I should know -- I'm in the same boat. And what a white boat it is. 

You could be right about that, maybe it is just the haircolor.  I liked the much blonder look myself on Carolyn.  Either it's the face make up or the hair color that's giving her that washed out tired look.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2003, 08:08:19 AM »
You're absolutely right about where it belongs and as you can see it's been moved.  There's a brief explanation for each board on the Home page that's repeated on the board itself.  It's sometimes difficult, I agree, but I think it'll get easier for all of us as the newness of having separate boards wears off.

Oop sorry Midnite about the mistake.  I didn't realize that I had put it in the wrong place until after I had posted the message and I wasn't sure if we ourselves could move the post or if you the moderators have to do it.
Thanks for putting this in the right section.

Deb

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2003, 02:05:42 PM »
I think, mind you I said think, there was a time when wearing very little make-up was the thing.  I remember my older brother telling me the guys didn't like girls with too much make-up.  He was four years older and his friends were "interesting" so I took his advise.  Still not good with the make-up thing.  I agree Carolyn needs a little more on the eyes she is very fair and could could get washed out.

Birdie

Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2003, 02:21:51 PM »
carolyn needs darker makeup on her eyes. I was watching an old episode on tape from 1968 where she wants to go on a date with tony peterson. Her eyemakeup was dark which really brought out her eyes. also with the hair, ever since she stopped bleaching it, her hair has gotten frizzy. It used to be nice and smooth.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2003, 02:24:34 PM »
Carolyn Loomis is a completely different character from Carolyn Stoddard.  This is not a beautiful, carefree, somewhat spoiled, 20-something heiress.....this is an older-seeming, unhappy, disappointed woman, who's married to a writer with money troubles.  I'm sure the make-up change is deliberate, and meant to illustrate that difference.

As most women learn at some point, it's just as easy to make oneself look WORSE with make-up as it is to look BETTER!! [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2003, 02:50:30 PM »
     I think Raineypark mentioned this in another post awhile back but for awhile Carolyn's eyebrows were too much sorta like a man's mustache.  I like them now because they are not so prominent.  Because Nancy is so fair, I think the make-up artist went to far to adjust for this.  She does look a little tired around the eyes but this fits her new character.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2003, 05:05:03 PM »
Oop sorry Midnite about the mistake.  I didn't realize that I had put it in the wrong place until after I had posted the message and I wasn't sure if we ourselves could move the post or if you the moderators have to do it.
Thanks for putting this in the right section.

You're welcome, Deb, and no need to apologize.  We're all still getting used to it, and I get lots of questions about which board to choose.  As for moving posts, only a few of us have access to the feature, but it's a piece of cake to use. :D

I agree with Rainey about the diminished makeup being appropriate to the new character.  Not that NB needs that or a different hairdo to pull it off.  Her portrayal of an embittered Carolyn Loomis is very distinctive all on its own.