Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0359  (Read 682 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0359
« on: December 07, 2012, 01:04:43 AM »
Robservations - #359

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0359

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 03:57:37 PM »
Welcome back, Mrs. Johnson! She doesn't know whether to believe poor Julia but is actually sympathetic all the same.

Carolyn and Tony have a brief romantic interlude on the terrace--until the dogs start howling, and Carolyn has to obey Barnabas's call.

Later, Carolyn and Julia have another sparring match, and Julia delivers one of the show's most famous lines: There is a very thin line between love and hate. I know how thin it is.

Julia confronts Barnabas, sure that he is responsible for terrifying her. Somehow he bamboozles her into helping him and even kisses her hand for good measure. Carolyn, who has seen and heard it all, accuses him of cruelty, but he simply uses his vampiric powers on her and bites her again.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 03:11:53 AM »
It is morning and Julia wants Mrs J to remove the lovely drapes.  Mrs J is rather perplexed and spills the beans that everyone things Julia is acting strange.  Julia babbles. Later the drapes are gone.
Carolyn works fast and is already dating and kissing Tony.  Now shouldnt Barnabas know she is doing his bidding and let her get on with seducing Tony.
Barnabas is meanwhile all dripping honey to Julia as he calls her and kisses her hand. She  vacillates between wanting to believe him and not. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 06:59:02 AM »
[spoiler]What gets me is that I believe it's only a matter of a few days from now, show time, when Julia cuts her hair short and Roger comes home with "Cassandra"![/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 06:09:08 PM »
Grayson looked particularly fresh in the opening scene. I think the studio lighting has been changed – just a guess. Or maybe it’s a new camera? The wig’s been washed and set but it is definitely more than just that.

Have we ever seen Mrs. Johnson with her hair down? I feel as though I have but I might be thinking of Liz. Mrs. Johnson has feet! Is there a name for the style of shoe she is wearing? They look a little fancy for a maid to wear while working, and for Mrs. J period. It’s that little T-shaped strip of material connecting the shoe sides to the toe portion that has me intrigued. I think they remind me of “little girl” shoes.

The fountain isn't dripping to the bottom level anymore. I wonder if someone slipped on the over-splash? Well, at least all the water streams are still streaming.

I have to agree with Sam Hall – I’m not really digging Grayson’s efforts as of late. The hysteria and desperation are not translating well on the small screen. And on the tech end of things we see things like Grayson waiting and acknowledging stage direction. This is very noticeable in the rat scene. BTW, I’m not diggin’ Sam’s writing too much either. The dialogue sounds awkward to me.

Anyone notice the studio lights in the terrace windows?

I liked Mrs. Johnson’s eveningwear, her version of “the little black dress”, lol. Loved the red-ish collar and big gem stone fastener. I enjoyed all of Clarice Blackburn’s scenes.

Most of the scenes have merit, with the Tony & Carolyn scene being the exception. But the best scene is the ending scene with Barnabas, Julia & Carolyn. It wasn’t technically perfect but it was engrossing. I like that we know Barn is lying through his teeth but Frid wasn’t directed to play it as obvious. I very much appreciated Carolyn’s admonition of Barn for using Julia’s love for him against her in manner Carolyn describes as “cruel”. I’ll give Sam Hall props for writing that “moment” in the scene. It was my favorite in the episode. I have to wonder if Jules would be able to laugh off all of Barn’s attempts at driving her over the edge if Woodard hadn’t been killed. I want to think that she should be telling herself that it is all Barn-induced but her guilt over Woodard’s death apparently makes the torture insurmountable.

I know Lacey is playing up Bogart, but I am also getting a Neil Diamond vibe and a Superman vibe (with the hair curl on his forehead).

I guess I am watching a heavily edited version of this episode, MPI VHS Vol. 26. I didn’t see Barn bite Carolyn, or hear Mrs. Johnson confirm that everyone has noticed the change in Julia.