Author Topic: Robservations 6/6/03 - #970-971 - Willie's Thankless Task; An Odd Book  (Read 1317 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
970 - Julia denies to Barnabas that she's ever been in the east wing, Barnabas explains, while you were dressed differently than you are now, you WERE there. We were at the carriage house, says Julia. I know it sounds insane, says Barn, but I did see you there; it was neither hallucination nor vision; you were both there. How could that be? she asks. I don't know, he says, but you must believe me.  I do--I guess, she says.  I found the rooms empty while I looked for Megan's coffin, he says, then I opened one door that led to a brilliantly lighted room, but some force prevented me from entering. There was a portrait of Quentin and David, I could read the inscription--it said, "Your loving husband, Quentin" and it was modern. . .Liz came in and opened a closet; there were many dresses there, she started to take them out, then YOU came in and ordered her to stop--you said she wasn't to come in that room, it wasn't hers, Elizabeth insisted she was dead, but you said she'd come back. That's frightening! declares Julia. There's no explanation, says Barn--none, and yet I have the feeling that you, Quentin, perhaps all of us are leading a different life in that room. You must take me there immediately, insists Julia.  Liz enters--I always forget where I put things, she complains, and shows Julia the swatch of material she was talking about. It's perfect, Julia agrees.  Liz sits at the desk--I must order announcements about Carolyn marrying Jeb, she says, and write some notes, too. I'll say good night, says Barnabas, then adds, significantly to Julia--I never found that book. It's in my room, says Julia, I'll get it. I'll come with you, offers Barnabas. (too bad not for a better purpose, hm?)  He bids Liz good night.  Out in the foyer, Julia asks Barnabas, shouldn't we tell her? She's gone through enough for one day, says Barnabas--"Now come, Julia." They head upstairs.

9:50 - Roger returns home from another business trip and flings open the doors--I cannot believe it, he shouts, I ran into Reverend Brand in the village, who told me Carolyn is married to that so-called...  I couldn't stop them, says Liz. Why didn't you call me? demands Roger, I'd have flown home!  We have to give Jeb a chance, insists Liz. As far as I'm concerned, he's already has his chance, says Roger--really, Liz, you're always giving in to Carolyn, let her have everything she wants--when I left here, I thought everything had returned to normal--you seemed yourself again, the children seemed different--I thought everything was going to be all right--and I get here and this has to happen. While it's true we don't know Jeb long and well, begins Liz, and he isn't the kind of person I'd have picked for a son-in-law, but then Ie married someone the family didn't approve of... And with disastrous results, says Roger (look who's talking!)  That was uncalled-for! says Liz angrily. Surely Barnabas tried to stop it, says Roger. He didn't know, Liz explains. Marriage can be annulled, Roger says. Carolyn is in love with Jeb, says Liz--leave them alone!  You shouldn't let it go at that, says Roger, I certainly won't.  He stomps from the room.

Julia listens at the east wing door--I don't hear anything, she says. I didn't either, says Barnabas, when I came the first time.  Open the door, suggests Julia.  Barnabas does, but it's dark and empty.  He's about to step in, but she begs him not to--I have a strange premonition ...it's silly, let's go in. They step into the room.  He shows her where Quentin's picture was--you and Liz came in through that arch. They hear a banging sound; Barnabas discovers one of the windows is shaking in the wind. How many lives have been lived in this room? wonders Julia, how many moments of excitement, anger, pleasure? In the past, yes, says Barnabas, but you weren't dressed in the clothing of any other time, what I saw happening was NOW. Julia glances around--I'm trying to remember, she says--I don't know if it has anything at all to do with it, but when I was at Eliot's house last spring, having an after-dinner brandy, he started talking about time, complaining that we all simply accept--I thought we didn't have much choice, but Eliot had been reading a theory that sounded insane to me--a theory of parallel time.
This shocks Barnabas. Yes, says Julia, we live in this universe in 1970, right, and accept the fact that our time is the only one we can truly know...suppose time is like a road, and parallel to it there's another road--on one we live the lives we know, but on another road, our lives are different because we're in a different time band and have made different choices--for example, in that other band of time, I could have made a different choice when I was in college--instead of being a doctor, I could have married and had children (why not both)?  Barnabas, says Julia, you don't actually think that because of some warp in the time band, you've actually seen us living other lives--there must be a more rational explanation. Must there? asks Barn. They hear a noise outside the room and go to investigate. Barnabas opens a door.  Megan gasps with displeasure as he shines the flashlight in her eyes.

Put down the light, Megan orders Barnabas.  This is where you are, he says.  No, she moans. They lead her into the room they were just checking out.  Were you ever in this room before? asks Julia.  No, answers Megan, sounding as if she's in a trance--Barnabas, why is Julia questioning me?  Have you ever heard voices in this room? asks Barnabas. She backs away, scared--someone else comes here? she asks--tell me who it is. There are no voices, Barnabas assures her, we just imagined them--you must understand how I feel to look at you, knowing that I'm responsible. For what? asks Megan. For your life as you have it now, he says. I'd forgotten that other life, she says, what I used to do--the shop, the long evenings... Perhaps we can help you, says Julia. Perhaps we can take you away from the life you have now, suggests Barnabas. I'm giving Barnabas injections, says Julia.  She can give them to you, too, says Barn.  If they work, says Julia, then you'll be free of the curse and can live your life as you did before. But you must cooperate with us, says Barnabas. I'll come and give you an injection every evening, says Julia. You must take them at regular intervals, says Barnabas. I'll go get my equipment, says Julia. No, protests Megan. It's your only chance, insists Julia. You'll be found out, Megan, warns Barnabas. "I don't want to be any different than I am," says Megan--"Oh, don't know, you just don't know, I won't let you change me, I won't try it, oh, there is nothing for me to go back to--Philip is dead--let me be!"  I cannot, insists Barnabas--every time I think of you, I must blame myself--you can find nothing but horror and death as you are, Megan--Megan, live again!  "She's gone!" cries Julia--and indeed, she is.

Old House - Roger is yelling at Willie, demanding to know where Barnabas is--surely he told you!  Willie, dusting, nervously rubs his hands together and says, Barnabas doesn't confide in me. That's certainly understandable, says Roger in his snooty way--tell him I must see him tonight--it's about Carolyn. What is it? asks Willie.  You're one of the few in the world who hasn't heard, says Roger sarcastically--"Delight in your ignorance, Loomis."  Unseen, Megan watches the men through the window. Roger leaves Willie standing there, shaking his head, muttering, "You sure don't improve with time, Mr. Collins, you sure don't." (LMAO!)

Roger walks through he woods. Hearing a crunching sound, he looks around--"Who's there?" he demands. Megan approaches him. Did I frighten you? he asks--what are you doing out here this time of night?--come, we'll walk together.  Megan shrugs away from him. Reverend Brand told me about Philip, says Roger, I was very sorry to hear it. Megan just stands there. Roger, uncomfortable at her lack of response, asks, are you feeling all right? I'm so cold, she says.  Here, take my coat, he offers.  No, she says, I'll be better in a moment. You've had so many shocks recently, sympathizes Roger. Yes, agrees Megan. I had hoped everything would be all right by now, he adds. Noticing the strange expression on her face, Roger apologizes for bringing this up.
She steps in and hugs him, then drives her fangs into his throat.

8:00 - Drawing room, Collinwood - Barnabas, says Julia, I know how upsetting this evening has been for you, but you must not feel personally about Megan Todd. How can I feel any other way? asks Barnabas miserably. Roger enters and weakly greets Barnabas--I was looking for the two of you, he says, but can't quite remember...  Are you all right? Julia asks.  Yes, he says, why shouldn't I be?--the light is so bright...Elizabeth, I must find Elizabeth--I just ran into Megan Todd--terrible about her husband. Barnabas' eyes shoot open; he looks at Julia, who immediately catches what he's conveying.  Roger, says Julia, let me give you something for your headache.  Certainly not, insists Roger--I can take care of it myself. Roger, dazed, leaves. We've got to help him, insists Julia.  He's under her spell, says Barnabas, what can we do; one by one, we will watch others come under her spell--we must stop Megan. She turned down the injections, Julia reminds him. You know what we must do, insists Barnabas, we must find her coffin during the day and stop her the only way she can be--with a stake and a hammer.

Back at the Old House, Willie gets the bad news about WHO will dispense with Megan.  Why are you picking on me? whines Willie . I'm not, says Barnabas.  You are, says Willie--I don't want to go to some old room in the east wing and open a coffin and put a stake in a heart--I don't even know Megan Todd.
It's an unpleasant task, but it must be done, insists Barnabas. (Bet Willie is regretting coming back!) Julia! says Willie, appealing to her. I'll go with you, promises Julia.  You don't have the strength to do it, Julia, says Barnabas. (hey, why not?) I'm not so strong, either, says Willie, a job is a job, but you're asking me to endanger my life and my future wife's happiness--suppose something happened to me, suppose it did? Willie, you aren't listening to me, says Barn. That's because you're going to talk me into it, moans Willie--please, not this time, just don't try! You'll be in no danger, Willie, it will be day, insists Barnabas--Julia and I will plan it out carefully, find out from Sky Rumson exactly where her coffin is. Why can't Sky can't do it? asks Willie.  The man is under her spell, says Barnabas, and I cannot trust him--but I can trust you. Yeah, yeah, says Willie, I know--that's why I'm always getting into trouble. You'll be in more trouble if Megan roams free, says Julia. Willie nods--I won't sleep tonight, he says, and tomorrow, Roxanne is going to ask why I'm so nervous--I wish I could tell her these things, she's going to think I'm weird or something. : ) Willie, says Julia, I'll come for you when everything is ready. Willie twists a handkerchief in his hands and goes upstairs--all right, he mutters. Julia, says Barn, Sky will get in touch with you in the morning, and it will all be over with by dusk.  Julia nods--yes it will, she says--I'll go now. Barnabas offers to go with her, but Julia, holding out a silver cross she's wearing around her throat, assures him she has the proper protection. She smiles and leaves. (I'm not going to say it!)   Barnabas sits down, thinking about that room--I saw Liz and Julia there, who were they talking about, who is dead, how is such a thing possible, what is the secret of that room...what?

Collinwood drawing room - I was last in the east wing over six months ago, Julia, says Liz--you know it's cleaned every spring, occasional repairs made--why do you ask?  I thought I saw a light in the window tonight, says Julia--probably my imagination. Perhaps we should check it out, suggests Liz. No, says Julia, it was probably only a reflection--there was lightning--I just worried the children might have seen it and thought it haunted. There aren't any legends about the east wing, says Liz. Barnabas enters just as Julia is asking Liz, tell me about that part of the house. You'll have to ask Roger, suggests Liz, he knows much more about the history than I do--why are you so interested? It's a fascinating house, says Julia--tonight I realized how little I know about it.

Barnabas returns to the east wing, throws open the doors and sees Liz carrying a step stool over to a painting. "Julia!" he calls, "can't you hear me?" Both women ignore him. What are you doing? Julia asks Liz. It shouldn't be hanging here now, says Liz. She didn't want you in this room, says Julia nastily--do not take it down. He is coming, and won't want it up, says Liz. Then he will tell us, says Julia--until then, it will hang--let everyone in this house see it, it's been covered long enough.
She pulls the cover off the painting and reveals a stunning portrait of..."Angelique!" exclaims Barnabas. Oh, no, says Liz, no one must see it. Let everyone see it--let them remember her! cries Julia. How can anyone forget her? demands Liz, closing the doors on Barnabas.  He futilely bangs on them, calling, "Elizabeth, can't you hear me, why can't I get in that room--let me in! Let me in!" begs Barnabas.

NOTES: Weirder and weirder--what's going on in that room? Angelique looks stunning in the portrait, but why are the two women arguing about the clothing and the portrait? Who is coming home who might want them removed?

Megan loves being a vampire, wouldn't have her life any other way! She isn't a remorseful vampire; Megan is soulless. Barnabas and Julia didn't react with shock at learning of Philip's death, who told them, and when?

Poor Roger, always on the outs when it comes to being in the know, and now he's become Megan's victim. She sure is a slutty vampire, isn't she, sucking on the throats of all the men?

Willie reminded me of the old days, when he was offbeat, strange and more than a little on the edge. Did he really think returning to Barnabas would mean dusting the chandelier? Staking vampires is in the job description, LOL!

Always loved the concept of parallel time; it sounded like so much fun to live in another time band, having made different choices, and I think it was significant that Julia told Barnabas she COULD have married and had children, instead of becoming a doctor, as if to tell him, "I had my chance with love at one time, buster!"

971 - The doors to the mysterious east wing room open again, but the room is dark and empty. There must be a way of reaching those people! Says Barnabas desperately.

Julia, says Liz, there's no record of anything strange happening in the east wing, but that isn't conclusive proof, is it, since the family has a way of forgetting things we find unattractive or want to hide--the east wing is remarkably free of secrets.

Barnabas wanders around the dark, empty room--no luck, nothing left but the strange, uncanny silence--Julia and Liz were so changed,! Who was Angelique? What was she? Will I ever know? Will I ever find out what this all means?. Hearing footsteps, Barnabas hides behind the door. It's Roger--who can be here for only one reason--to see only one person! Roger starts to enter the room, but instead turns and leaves. Barnabas resolves to follow him--he'll lead me right to Megan, and if all goes well, the ordeal will be ended for him--and Megan.

Megan opens her coffin--I've been waiting for you, she tells Roger, then sinks her fangs into his throat. Barnabas watches, sickened, then leaves. Stay here and guard my coffin, Megan orders Roger--do you understand? Smitten, Roger assures her he does.
Megan, fangs protruding from her mouth, smiles.

Liz thanks Julia for the conversation--the east wing took my mind off other things. Carolyn is going to be all right with Jeb, isn't she? asks Liz.  I hope so, says Julia, but doesn't look especially hopeful. Jeb is a strange, impetuous young man, says Liz--I'm going up to bed--are you retiring, too? Barnabas, standing in the doorway, out of Liz' sight, shakes his head, indicating to Julia, I want you to stick around. I'm not going up yet, Julia tells Liz.  Barnabas hides from his cousin, waiting until she's gone upstairs, says Julia, I he saw many things up there, including you and Liz, and you were quarreling over a portrait of Angelique, who was important to both of you. She's part of this other existence, too, muses Julia.  I couldn't get in this time, either, says Barn--there's a barrier there.  I'm not sorry, says Julia, if it is parallel time, you must not let yourself become part of it until you know more about it--it could be very dangerous--we must talk to Stokes again. There is something we need to do first, he says--I found Megan, her room is in the east wing, and Roger is guarding her--Roger had no choice but to go to her when summoned, says Barn--I saw it, and it was dreadful. A cock crows in the distance.  There no time to do anything about it, says Julia--it's almost dawn--I'll go back to the Old House with you and talk to Willie.

Roger sits down by Megan's coffin, assuring her, no one saw me coming in. I have the feeling someone knows, she says. Whoever knows, vows Roger, will pay with his life. After it's dark, says Megan, we'll find another, safer, place. She closes her eyes. Roger closes the lid of her coffin.

Old House - That's what must be done, Julia tells Willie sternly--is it clear to you? Yes, he says, but I don't like it. None of us like it, says Julia, but it must be done--for Megan, Roger, and especially Barnabas!  Willie looks at her determined face, then at the stake and hammer she's holding in one hand.
His face shakes the way it used to, and it's clear he's a miserable man.

Willie grabs the stake and hammer out of Julia's hand--I hoped that ever since I began talking about it, Barnabas would find another way, he says. There is no other way, says Julia, when Barnabas rises, it must be done--I'm going back to Collinwood, and you are to come there later, for books for Barnabas, and we will proceed exactly as planned.  I guess there's no chance getting out of it now--oh, the way I feel, laments Willie, the things I think about, it's getting harder and harder to keep Roxanne from guessing--there's more to his life than she knows about.

Liz paces the drawing room. She rushes to the door when Julia comes home--I'd hoped it was Megan.  Megan is wrecked up about Philip's death, says Julia. I've been leaving her alone as much as possible, says Liz, since that's what Megan seemed to want, but she hasn't been in her room--where is she?--perhaps I should call the police. No, says Julia, she's off by herself, thinking things through, probably. She's been so strange lately, remarks Liz. Willie knocks at the door--Julia told me I could come get some books for Barnabas, but if it's not a good time... (Willie trying to get out of the unpleasant task.) It's a perfect time, says Julia--I'll try to find out about Megan and let you know ASAP, promises Julia--Willie, the books are upstairs. Concerned, Liz says, Julia, don't forget to let me know. Liz, concerned, closes the door.

Roger has fallen asleep on Megan's coffin, resting his head on his arm. Willie pauses outside the door. Julia looks in and advises Willie, think of Megan as an evil thing that you must help to rest, and give peace. Willie, covering his mouth as if he's afraid he's going to vomit, wishes someone else were doing this. Be quiet, Julia warns--don't wake Roger. It's not Roger I'm worried about, says Willie, it's her--Megan. She's the one you must deal with, says Julia, do it right, and remember, put the stake directly into her heart, and very deep so he can't tear it out. Nearly crying, Willie hoarsely assures her, I'll do the best I can. He moans as he approaches the room and opens the door. Julia looks at Roger, who immediately awakens and orders, get out! Gently, Julia says, it's the best thing for Megan, the only way she can have peace, rest, and you and she will both be free. I SAID GET OUT OF HERE! shouts Roger viciously, pushing Julia away from Megan's coffin--LEAVE HER ALONE!  You have no right! Willie says to Roger.  You get out of here, too! orders Roger. Not until I do what I came here for, insists.
He and Roger begin to pummel each other.  Julia intervenes. The men grapple, exchanging blows.  Willie gives Roger a good punch in the stomach, then hits him over the head with a bottle outside in the hallway. Willie enters Megan's room and suggests, Julia, take a look at Roger--he isn't going to hurt anybody. She touches Willie's shoulder--I'll stay with you, she offers.  I'll do it by myself, he mutters. Julia closes the door, leaving Willie with Megan. Gasping, he opens the coffin and remembers what Julia told him--in the heart, one blow, deep.  He pounds the stake into Megan, who screams wildly.  Willie screams with her, unbridled horror on both their faces.

Roger, holding his aching head, comes to and looks up at Julia--what are you doing here? he asks.  Liz told me I could come check the architecture in the east wing lies Julia. I'm not in the mood to discuss that, says Roger--the east wing? Yes, says Julia. What am I doing here? he asks.  You must have some reason, says Julia, but you got a bad hit on the head--I think a cold compress is in order. Upset, Roger says I can think of no reason for being here in the east wing. Julia helps him up--a blow on the head can make people forget such things, she assures him. Roger asks Julia, did you hear a noise--a door? No, says Julia, I didn't hear anything. He wants to investigate, but Julia insists--it's more important to check out the bruise--we can come back another time.

Dusk - Old House - Willie, his voice dazed, assures Barnabas, I've done it, but I won't ever forget her face if I live to be a hundred. It had to be done, says Barnabas--now take Megan's coffin and bury it in an unmarked grave. When Julia gathers her clothes, you'll dispose of them, too. Yup, says Willie, and leaves. Barnabas reminds Julia of her lie.  I'm to go to Liz and say I saw Megan, says Julia, who told me she was leaving Collinsport, and wanted nothing to do with anyone or anything--I hope Liz will believe me. Megan is gone forever, points out Barn, so that is partly the truth, isn't it? Julia nods ruefully. The rest of it, says Barn, will have to be buried forever--did you hear anything in the east wing?  No, and don't forget what I told you, says Julia--it might be very dangerous. I must take that chance, says Barnabas--something draws me there, and I don't want to stay away. Whatever it is that's drawing you there, I hope it doesn't harm you, says Julia--and she looks like a woman in love, fretting her ass off.

East wing - Barnabas returns there, recalling Julia's warning words to him.  Nevertheless, he opens the doors and sees Willie. He calls to him, but receives no answer, and can't get in. Willie, dressed in a jacket and open-collared shirt, is searching through drawers. Julia enters and sternly reminds him, those are HER things. Willie chuckles and says, where Angelique is now, she doesn't need them. Don't talk about her like that, Julia orders. Willie turns on her--she's dead, he says, and that is the truth!  Get out, Julia orders.  I came looking for a book that belongs to me, he says--I need it. If I come across it, says Julia, I'll give it to you. Willie, still looking through things, I need it right now. You cannot have it right now, she says bitchily. It's mine and I want it! he cries. Fidning the book on the window seat, he exultantly says, "And I will have it!"  She takes the book away from him and cruelly asks, what if she weren't dead?--what if she still wanted your book?
--but she doesn't want it--she never wanted it!--take your book and get out of here! she orders, tossing the book towards the door. It breaches the time barrier, allowing Barnabas to pick it up, but when he turns back, the room is once again dark and empty. What happened? he wonders. What twist of fate opened the barrier long enough to let this through? He reads the cover--THE LIFE AND DEATH OF BARNABAS COLLINS, by William Hollingshead Loomis. The life--and death!--of Barnabas Collins, he says aloud, stunned.

NOTES: The alternate characters are a true hoot in 1970PT, and I especially love Will Loomis and Hoffman.

Barnabas sees hope here, hope that his existence is better in another time band. Will he do something foolhardy?

Poor Megan and Philip, both dead, and undeservedly so. I always despised their fate, and wished they had never come face to face with any of the Collins family. One senses they would have been happy together in their shop, their love, and their own perfectly normal kids, if given the chance--which they weren't.

Ironic that Liz says there's nothing weird about the east wing, but EVERY wing on DS has a secret or problem, as we know from experience!

Roger finally gets bitten by a vampire and has a chance to defend her, but Willie and Julia, fearless vampire killers, subdue him and lead him away from the scene before he knows what has happened. Thank God for the amnesia of former vampire victims!

I bet Willie is regretting returning to work for Barnabas! How many other job descriptions require vampire staking? Pretty hazardous work--I sure hope Barnabas is paying him very well. As for Roxanne, we never do see her, but I always hoped she and Willie ended up together and he got the happiness he deserves.

Love, Robin