Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0358  (Read 1155 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0358
« on: December 06, 2012, 01:00:14 AM »
Robservations - #358

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0358

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:33:05 AM »
Still lovin' the thunder. I am under the impression it is still the same evening as last episode but Carolyn shows up at the Old House in a different dress. She called the grandfather clock "the large clock in the foyer at Collinwood". Uhm, okay. Well, maybe I'm not as bright as I think I am.

There is a major tape glitch during the Old House scene between Barnabas & Carolyn. I'd love to know if it's a Dan Curtis thang or an MPI thang. It's an edit that changes their conversation instantly.

Frid is experiencing his usual midweek line flubs. Barn's gonna handle Julia by messing with her head and Carolyn is to take care of Peterson by messing with his head - just not the one on his shoulders.

I don't remember ever seeing The Blue Whale so lit up. I got a kick out of the old cigarette machine behind Tony at The Blue Whale. It was the best thing about this episode - I didn't enjoy it very much at all - Not even Barn's hocus pocus act.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »
Barnabas orders Carolyn to plant a small metal box containing the syringe and the vial of serum that killed Dr. Woodard. These are what the tabloids would call “macabre mementos,” Barnabas comments. Does Barnabas read the National Enquirer between treatments? ;)

Later, Julia gets a little payback when Carolyn is on the phone, happily arranging a date with Tony. Julia demands to speak to her and hangs up the phone on her, ignoring Carolyn’s fury. She shows Carolyn the syringe and says, I know Barnabas made you plant it. Why don’t you leave me alone? she asks in pain. Isn’t it enough that I remember? Isn’t it?

NB gets one of her best lines in the show: Control yourself, Julia, answers Carolyn heartlessly: It’s almost dinnertime, and you haven’t even changed. Her voice laden with irony, she continues, Really, Julia, when you’re with us, you must live by our rules.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 06:14:09 PM »
There is a major tape glitch during the Old House scene between Barnabas & Carolyn. I'd love to know if it's a Dan Curtis thang or an MPI thang.

That edit is also in the syndicated version of the ep, so I'm presuming it's always been there for some reason - probably an edit for time because on occasion eps were trimmed for time before they were shown on ABC.

NB gets one of her best lines in the show: Control yourself, Julia, answers Carolyn heartlessly: It’s almost dinnertime, and you haven’t even changed. Her voice laden with irony, she continues, Really, Julia, when you’re with us, you must live by our rules.

I love that scene - it's priceless.  [santa_thumb]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 03:04:00 AM »
now decides Barnabas, Julia must imagine things so people thing she is mad.  A so much better plan than to just kill her.  It looks like Julia has five garments in her closet and some appear to be nightgowns.  Then she spots the syringe.
Tony's voice is heard loudly over the phone. This is the first time I can recall hearing anyone talk through the phone without being seen.
Barnabas reveals he had a warlock friend who taught him powers.  So how much are his powers from his vamprisism or magic?  And why has he not been using them more.   He disappears and then appears in Julias room a dark figure with Dr. Dave's voice.  There is a bat at the window at the end of the scene so to make sure that we know its Barnabas and not really a vengful Dr. Dave.  I had remembered this as Dave's spirit being revived by Barnabas so it was a revelation to see that it was Barnabas in disguise
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 05:31:16 AM »
We can tell that Carolyn was not  a fan of "Bewitched," since Barnabas has to define what a warlock is to the "naive" girl.

Once again, a character expresses the belief that such crazy things as ghosts and magic couldn't possibly exist even though she is talking to a VAMPIRE (!) when she says it. I guess her recent experiences with Laura and Sarah have been somehow wiped from her memory.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 03:23:27 PM »
Or, the writer's memory.  [snow_rolleyes]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 05:48:14 AM »
It seems to be a chronic condition. In the very next episode, Julia tells herself there are no ghosts, then a few scenes later, she's searching for and eventually chatting with Sarah, who she knows is Barnabas' little sister!

I guess it's true that consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds - literally, it would appear, in the case of DS. [snow_wink]