Author Topic: Robservations 6/4/03 - #966-967 - Repercussions; Vampire Megan's Life  (Read 1190 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
966 - All that is left of the Leviathan altar is two burning torches and a pile of rubble. Jeb writhes on the ground. It's all over now, thanks to you, roars Nicholas--the Leviathan cause is dead, with one STUPID blow, you've ended it--all those under our control are released. Jeb rises to his feet, no longer in pain. Nicholas continues his rant at Jeb--that pleases you, doesn't it?  I warned you, says Jeb, that I wanted to remain as me, now. Yes, and after what you've done, says Nicholas, you've also succeeded in destroying YOURSELF!  What are you talking about? Jeb asks.  You can't change into your Leviathan form ever again, says Nicholas, because you don't exist anymore--and what is there left?  ME! says Jeb, proudly punching his chest. No, there is nothing anymore! shouts Nicholas, just a shell, a manifestation, the body you inhabit is not yours, it was able to exist only in the beginning through sheer force of mind--when the shrine exploded, this body should have died with it. But it didn't, says Jeb triumphantly, and I'm left, and I can see, hear and feel (I was suddenly reminded of Tommy, can you hear me)? Yes, but only through sheer force of mind, says Nicholas--how long can your willpower hold out, Jeb?--not very long, I promise you--your time is running out!

Carriage house - Bruno casually slices an apple while the one-eyed zombie sits in a chair. Bruno smells something burning and goes to check it out; he finds the back room filled with flames. He closes the door and orders the zombie--go get the hose outside!  The zombie suddenly morphs into a skeleton. Bruno checks the fire again and wonders what's happening--he leaves to go get Nicholas while the skeleton gives us a Popeye stare.

Collinwood - Liz comes downstairs just as Barnabas leads the entranced Carolyn into the house. Concerned, Liz calls her daughter's name.  Carolyn can't answer, says Barnabas, she's been put into a trance.  Liz is stunned--how did this happen? she asks.  I promise to explains, says Barn, but right now, we must get Carolyn up to her room--"I think the time has come, Elizabeth," says Barnabas, "for you to know the truth about a great many things." Liz follows Barnabas and Carolyn upstairs.

Woods - Bruno comes across another skeleton--a second zombie has bitten the dust. Nicholas joins him.  Bruno points out, all our dead have turned into skeletons--come back to the cottage.  There's been a fire. In the back room, guesses Nicholas--Bruno, everything is over for us--Jeb has destroyed it all!  What are you talking about? asks Bruno.  I'll tell you everything on the way back to the carriage house, Nicholas assures him.

Carolyn's bedroom - She's been put to bed.  She will sleep now, Barnabas tells Liz.  Please explain all this to me, says Liz.  I don't know where to begin, says Barn--we have been committed to a cause that is most false and destructive--we've all been in danger, including Carolyn. Liz asks what cause--tell me!  You know what cause, he says, the Leviathans--you, David, Amy. You aren't making any sense, says Liz. Are you sure you don't know what I'm talking about? asks Barn.  Positive, she says  Barnabas is pleased--it's too good to be true
--what Jeb did caused everyone to be released from the spell!  What are you saying about Jeb? asks Liz. You know Jeb, don't you? asks Barnabas. Of course, says Liz. How much do you know? Barn asks. He seems like a nice young man and he's very fond of Carolyn, responds Liz--what's all this about?  I'll later, says Barn, all you need to know right now is that Carolyn is safe. Together, they look down at Carolyn. Barnabas notices she's coming out of it. Jeb, where are you? murmurs Carolyn.

In the storm-tossed woods, Jeb looks up at Carolyn's window and says to himself, "Carolyn, I must see you--you're the only one who can save me!"

Carolyn sits up in bed. I'm all right, she assures her mother, but I don't know how I got here.  Barnabas brought you back home, says Liz. From where? asks Carolyn. I found you alone in the woods, lies Barn--what's the last thing you remember? Carolyn stands up. I remember being alone in the carriage house, she says--waiting for Jeb--he had gone out and asked me to wait until he came back. He never came back, says Liz. No, says Carolyn. Somebody else came there, states Barnabas  Yes, Nicholas Blair, says Carolyn. Nicholas! cries Liz--is he responsible? Yes, answers Barn. Responsible for what? asks Carolyn. The reason you don't remember anything, says Barn--he hypnotized you. Why? asks Carolyn. I can't answer right now, says Barn, I have to investigate further, but I promise to come back and talk more to you later.  I want to call the carriage house and find out what happened to Jeb, insists Carolyn. She sits down at her phone and dials.

Downstairs, Jeb enters Collinwood and starts to sneak upstairs, but hides until Barnabas leaves the house. Jeb heads upstairs.

Having gotten no answer at the carriage house, Carolyn fears something might have gone wrong.  Jeb never should have left you there alone, says Liz. He couldn't expect Nicholas would appear, insists Carolyn. I'm not sure of anything anymore, says Liz--I thought Nicholas sane and healthy, but he's obviously not. Jeb knocks at the door.  Carolyn, overjoyed, is all set to let him in.  Stay where you are! orders Liz and opens the door herself.  I must see Carolyn, says Jeb.  Who gave you permission to wander around this house at will? demands Liz--who let you in?  I let myself in, says Jeb. Let yourself out, commands Liz. Mother! protests Carolyn.  I think his behavior is shocking, says Liz. You have changed, says Jeb approvingly, just as he said you would--you remember who I am, but nothing else. You aren't making anymore sense than Barnabas, complains Liz. Please, Mrs, Stoddard, allow me to talk to Carolyn for a few moments.  When Carolyn supports him, Liz agrees--make it brief, Carolyn needs her rest, she says, and leaves.  We must make it brief, concurs Jeb--I haven't much time left.  What do you mean? Carolyn asks.  All I know, says Jeb, is that if I stay around here anymore, my life is going to end. Why do you feel that way? she asks. I have to go very far away, he explains--and want you to come with me.
Shocked, she says, I want to be with you, but...I don't understand why it's necessary to go away. I'm not asking you to understand, says Jeb--you said you loved me. I do, she says. Come away with me, he says, we'll go to Collinsport, get married, and go away. Noticing her reluctance, he asks, "What's the matter?"  Nothing, she says, but her troubled face belies the word.  Give me your answer! he cries. She turns to him, puts her arms around him, and says, "Jeb, there's only one answer--if I can't get you to stay here with me, then I'll go away with you."  "Oh, Carolyn, honey!" he exults, and they hug, then kiss.

Carriage house - Nicholas sits, a morose demon whose plans have fallen to dust.  Bruno exits the back room--I wonder how the fire in the back room put itself out?--the place was engulfed in flames!  Because, explains Nicholas, it was no ordinary fire--when Jeb destroyed the box and shrine, the time of the Leviathans ended, and everything pertaining to our cause was destroyed--ONE BLOW (Nicholas makes a fist) released all those we have taken over. What about Jeb? asks Bruno--what's going to happen to him?  Jeb should have been destroyed when the shrine and box were, says Nicholas--his true form no longer exists, and he can no longer change into it--he should be dead, too! Why isn't he? demands Bruno. He's only staying alive through sheer force of will, states Nicholas, nothing else makes sense. He deserves to die, opines Bruno.
He will, Nicholas assures him, looking pissed-off and determined--*I* will take care of that.

Carolyn reads over a note she's written to her mother--"I know it will come as a shock, but Jeb has asked me to marry him tomorrow--and I have accepted--I hope you will give me your blessing--I love him very much. Lovingly, Carolyn."  Carolyn puts the note in an envelope and leaves it on her desk. She lies on her bed, falls asleep, then begins to dream. The double doors at Collinwood open; Jeb comes out, dressed in a suit. Carolyn, on the dark landing, drifts downstairs in a lovely wedding gown and veil, holding a bouquet. Everything is ready, says Jeb.  In a moment, I'll be Mrs. Jeb Hawkes, she whispers. Come with me, says Jeb, offering his arm. She takes it and they go into the drawing room. Nicholas Blair, wearing his black robe, holding the scepter, awaits them. Carolyn, disturbed, asks--what is he doing here?  He's going to perform the ceremony, says Jeb.  I don't want him to, insists Carolyn--he frightens me. No one is going to harm you, Jeb assures her--Nicholas won't.  Good evening, greets Nicholas.  Hello, says Carolyn.  Nicholas compliments her beauty and says, if you are both ready, we can begin. We can't, says Carolyn, my parents aren't here, and we can't begin without them. Your mother doesn't approve of the marriage, says Jeb, and won't be here. My father will--we must wait for him, says Carolyn. You know your father is dead, Jeb reminds her. No! I can't believe that, cries Carolyn. Believe it, because it's true, says Jeb--do you understand? Yes, she replies. Begin the ceremony, says Jeb--you and I will be together very soon. She smiles and agrees--very soon. Nicholas raises the scepter and intones--Prince of Darkness, I call upon the flame to summon you, beseeching all the dark creatures of nature to help summon you, for you must be a witness to this ceremony, give your blessing to these two creatures who shall become your obedient servants. What is he saying? she asks--I've never heard a marriage ceremony like this! Be silent, says Jeb. Nicholas continues--I summon you in the name of the seven plagues, in the name of the charred and blackened stars that reigned at my beginning to rise out of the darkness of the earth. Carolyn grips Jeb's hand and says, I can't go through with it--I'm too frightened. Let him finish, says Jeb.  Thunder and lightning fill the room; the lights go out. Only burning candles remain. Carolyn, terrified, asks what's happening. I don't know, says Jeb. The doors blow open.  It's my father! says Carolyn, smiling--I knew he would be here. It can't be! says Jeb--show yourself to us!  Barnabas, looking especially gaunt and creepy, enters the room.  What do you want? demands Jeb--what are you doing here? Have you told her, Jeb? asks Barnabas--you cannot marry her until you tell her. I don't know what he's talking about, says Jeb. Tell her who killed her father, commands Barnabas.
I don't know, says Jeb. Yes, you do, insists Barnabas--"You killed Paul Stoddard!"  Carolyn, face twisted with despair, says I can't believe that. Admit it, cries Barnabas. Carolyn, crying, turns to Jeb--say it isn't true, she begs--tell me!!  She looks at his eyes, which now look like those of a monster, wide and staring. Oh my God, it's true! wails Carolyn. She begins backing away from Jeb, who says, we are going to be together, very soon, no matter what happens.  Carolyn backs away--stay away from me!--don't touch me! she wails.   Jeb, eyes glazed, moves toward her and begins to strangle her as she screams wildly. She awakens from the nightmare clutching her throat, screaming for real, then grabs her coat and quickly leaves her room.

Carriage house - Jeb exits the back room, then stands, hand on the mantle. Carolyn comes to see him--I must speak to you, she insists--I changed my mind. He's shocked. I can't marry you, she says, something happened--it's hard to explain. Try, he says--say something!--you can't just walk in here and tell me you're not going, you can't do that!  He approaches her with the same horrible, crazed expression on his face he'd had in her dream, reaching for her as she backs away. "DON'T TOUCH ME! DON'T TOUCH ME!" she screeches, and grabs his hands, which she sees as throttling her throat.

NOTES: Another great, surreal dream sequence, and doesn't Carolyn make a gorgeous bride? Brides don't usually do too well in the Collins tradition, ask Angelique, Vicki and Josette! Loved the wild and crazy expression on Jeb's face as he attacked her in her dream. In real life, he was only trying to take her shoulders, but reality and nightmare combined into one doozy of terror for Carolyn. Barnabas was really creepy in her dream, too. There were other dreams that clued her in, but this one surely laid it on the line, and her realization upon looking at his face (and those eyes!) brought home the truth at last.

Perfect performance from HAA as Nicholas realized he's bungled another one--and when will his master call him back to the pits to atone for his screwing up this time?

I guess Bruno figured he could just take over, but Jeb really put his foot in it. It couldn't have been a very strong group if this is all it took to completely destroy them, could it?

Liz is back to her imperious self, and it was good seeing her. When she told Jeb to see himself out, I sure did guffaw!

967 - Thinking Jeb is attacking her, Carolyn screams.  There's nowhere to go, he says, and crushes his lips against hers. She struggles, but gives in, kissing him back, holding him tightly. Don't you know it's too late? he asks. What do you mean by too late? She asks.  "You love me, no matter what your mother says, or Barnabas or any of those people," he tells her.  Her voice thick with tears, she says, I didn't come because of any of them, but because of my father--I had another dream about him. I don't want to hear it, he says.  You have to, she insists.  They sit by the fire--in my dream, we were getting married, she explains--I had the feeling my father wanted to be at the wedding and would find a way to get there, but just as the ceremony was beginning, the doors flew open... "Your father? asks Jeb fearfully. It was Barnabas, says Carolyn, who accused you of murdering my father, and you admitted it, then came after me, as you did a few moments ago, intending to destroy me. I didn't in real life, protests Jeb, hugging her--I'd never do that to you!--I'd comfort and hold you...forget about those dreams--everyone has nightmares, but you don't live your life by them.  It was so vivid, says Carolyn, still in his embrace. If you love me, you'll forget about dreams like that, he says, don't let them disturb you. I love you, says Carolyn, and kisses him hard, passionately. He wipes a tear away from her eye.  I just need more time, she insists. Why? he asks--so those people can work on you again?--I can't wait anymore, we must go away, right now. I need time to think, she says. I'll give you two hours to pack, he says.  (a whole two hours to decide the rest of her life--how generous!)  I'm not promising, she warns. You'll go, he says with certainty, kissing her again--I'll walk you home and you can pack. She draws back from him--I do need to think, she says, and if you come with me, it will distract me. He kisses her forehead, promising--it will be this way for the rest of your life--go on, get out of here, he says, shooing her away, before I take back the two hours. Carolyn leaves. Jeb, ecstatic, begins talking to himself--Carolyn and I love each other, that's all that matters, nothing else will happen that matters, not anymore. Just then, the door blows open. Jeb calls to Carolyn, thinking she's come back, but no one is there. The lights go out. Jeb is scared--who's there, he demands, who are you?--you don't need to tell me, I know, it's you, Paul Stoddard, and you're angry because she wouldn't listen to you, believe you, and there's nothing you can do, it's too late, your daughter loves me, Stoddard! A familiar face appears in the mirror behind Jeb and asks, "As much as Victoria Winters loved me?" Jeb turns to see Peter Bradford standing there, a noose around his neck. "YOU!" Jeb cries--"It can't be you! It can't be!" I'm flattered you remember, Jebez Hawkes, says Peter, it's been a long, long time, but then you have reason to remember Peter Bradford, don't you?"  Now I understand, says Jeb, as Peter solidifies and comes toward him--it was you who appeared when I tried to kill Maggie Evans.
Yes, says Peter, and Willie Loomis, and I was the one who kept you from killing Julia Hoffman, and I burned the book and warned David about you, and put the noose around Bruno's neck and would have put the noose around your neck except that I knew it wouldn't do any good--because it takes a very special way to kill you, and I know what it is! You can't! protests Jeb. I did in 1797 and was hanged for it! shouts Peter. Jeb runs from him, but Peter follows. You can't, moans Jeb, you were a living man then, you could kill me then, but can't now--you're only an illusion!  Why are you so afraid? Asks Peter--can you feel my hatred toward you? It wasn't my fault Victoria Winters killed herself, says Jeb, turning away from Peter. Yes it was, says the latter--you sent her over Widows' Hill, and then I pushed you over--and I'm going to do the same thing tonight! You can't! insists Jeb, eyes closed with misery, you haven't flesh, blood or form!  I might not be the one who does it, indicates Peter--not my hand, but someone will, and when you go over that cliff, you'll die the only way you can--"By drowning, Jebez Hawkes, by drowning!" Jeb, horrified, says you'll never get me to Widows' Hill. I did in 1797, Peter reminds him, just the way you did Vicki--I really loved Vicki, people said they saw it, you ended that for us, now I'm going to end it for you and Carolyn. You can't! says Jeb, if you touch Carolyn, I'll...  WHAT? demands Peter, what are you going to do?--I've waited a long time, and nothing is going to keep me from destroying you!

I won't let you hurt Carolyn! cries Jeb, and if you do anything, I'll k-- Then Jeb remembers Peter is already dead, or else he stops speaking because the apparition has disappeared. Jeb looks around, picks up the phone and dials. Carolyn answers.  This is important, says Jeb--don't go anywhere until I come for you. Why should I go out? she asks, I just came in.  Just don't go out, no matter what happens, he warns her, even if something strange or terrifying happens.  What do you mean? she asks.  I can't tell you now, he says. There are so many things I don't understand, complains Carolyn.
Forget about it, just believe and accept, he says--and don't go anywhere without me.  You'll be here in two hours? she asks. Yes, he says, we can synchronize our watches. It's one thirty, she says.  I'll be there at 3:30, exactly, promises Jeb. He hangs up, then checks the clock on the mantel.

Megan rises from her coffin (we can't tell where it is). Sky is there, and asks, where are you going? "What difference does it make to you?" she asks in a bored tone, putting on her coat--there's something I want to do.  I don't want to be alone, says Sky. Isn't there something you have to do? she asks.  Nothing except be with you, he replies. That's not true, she says, a man as important as you are?--you can go away, you know, I'll summon you whenever I want you. When? he asks eagerly. As often as will make us both happy, she says, and in-between times, you can go and do whatever you want, as long as you can keep our secret.  Megan, please, he begs, turning her around as if to kiss her. No, she says impatiently, pulling away, no time now--there's someone I must talk to. She leaves.

Philip lies on the bed in his jail cell. Megan leans over him as if to kiss him. He wakes up and is shocked to see her--I must be dreaming.  No, she says, I'm here. How did you get in at this hour? He asks. I made an "arrangement" with one of the guards, she says (a hungry, horny vampire is our Megan), grinning; I realized I hadn't seen you in a long time. No, you haven't, says Philip in a wounded tone, and I've needed you desperately. I know, she says, fingering her scarf, but I haven't been feeling well. Instantly concerned, he asks, what's the matter? Never mind, I'm fine now, she says, forget about me, let's talk about you. Let's talk about a lot of things, says Philip, why I'm here, I don't understand--they say I killed three people, even showed me a signed confession, but I didn't kill anyone and shouldn't even be here--you know that. Of course, she agrees, and that's why I've come--to get you out of here. When? he asks anxiously. Soon as I can, she promises.  How did these things happen? wonders Philip--I don't understand, there was a time when the world was open to us, and then all of a sudden, there were too many outsiders, and now the world is no larger than this cell--oh, Megan, if we can only make them believe. He turns to face her and notices her fangs are down, ready for business.
Horrified, he protests, "No, Megan, please, no!" but she closes in and makes a warm meal of her husband's blood.

2:30 - Jeb checks the clock and starts to pack his clothes. He hears Peter Bradford's voice telling him--there's one more hour before you die on Widows' Hill, just like you did before. Till I get Carolyn, Jeb counters--you aren't reaching me--there's nothing you can do to stop it!

Peter Bradford, noose still looped around his neck, has suddenly appeared in Philip's jail cell.  Philip refuses to speak to a doctor, and tells Peter, I'm not going to tell you anything, either, not anyone. You don't have to tell me a thing, Peter assures him, I know it all already.

You're not real, Philip tells Peter.  I once was, says the ghost--my name is Peter Bradford. What do you want from me? asks Philip. Even though you're living and I'm dead, says Peter, and centuries separate us, we do have one thing in common--we were both in love with women destroyed by the same man. Barnabas destroyed Megan, says Philip, made her what she is. No, says Peter, you must understand, he couldn't help it, you must believe that. It doesn't matter, says Philip, his eyes clearly showing madness, "I'll get him--I'll get them all!"  But you can't do that, says Peter, even if they find you innocent, they'll think you mad and lock you back up in here--unless you do exactly as I say, and I'll unlock that door and you can have your revenge on anybody you want. Peter smiles, as does Philip, the latter's grin more than faintly tinged with insanity.

2:50 - Jeb looks at the clock again, gulping. He calls Carolyn at Collinwood--I'm coming right over, he says. It isn't even three yet, she points out--nothing's wrong.  There will be if we stay, says Jeb--I don't care. Neither do I, she says--I've made up my mind--I'll be ready. Jeb is delighted. He hangs up and puts on his jacket, but feels dizzy for a moment--what's happening? He wonders, I feel so strange.  Nearly collapsing, he drops into the rocker. Peter appears behind him--there's very little time left for you, Jebez Hawkes, he warns, very little time, even less than you imagine. Peter turns the clock back to two and says, there is time enough--just time enough.

The clock at Collinwood strikes 3:30, and Carolyn is worried--it couldn't take Jeb this long to get here, it just couldn't. She picks up the phone and dials the carriage house; the dazed Jeb doesn't answer.  She remembers him saying he'd be right over--something would be the matter if they stay.  As she's putting on her coat, she recalls his warning not to go anywhere until he comes--no matter what happens, don't leave the house!  Carolyn, torn, sits in the chair under Barnabas' portrait and considers.

Jeb awakens, wondering what happened--I must call Carolyn!  He sees the clock says 2 AM and realizes, I don't have to--it's only two, I was out just a few minutes, I can still get there in plenty of time.  (Doesn't he remember the clock had already passed 2 AM?) Jeb opens the door and finds Peter standing there--there's no need for you to bother, he says--Carolyn isn't at Collinwood. Where is she? asks Jeb. Where was Victoria Winters when she died? demands Peter. I'm not buying that, insists Jeb--I'm not going to Widows' Hill but to Collinwood, where Carolyn is waiting for me. She isn't there! shouts Peter. Yes she is, says Jeb, because I warned her, and she promised me! People break promises, says Peter, you know all about that. Get out of my way! shouts Jeb.  Peter, grinning, lets him pass.

3:55 AM - Carolyn dials the carriage house--no answer. She remembers Jeb's warning about not leaving the house, no matter what happens, but fear overwhelms her.  She starts to go, then hears Jeb saying, "Something strange and frightening," over and over. I'll take the back path, she decides, that way, if someone is waiting for me, I can avoid them--everything's got to be all right! She leaves through the kitchen. No sooner is she out of sight than the front door opens and Jeb bursts in, calling for Carolyn. Her suitcase sits in the foyer. Jeb races upstairs, calling her name.

Carriage house - Carolyn races in, calling to Jeb. She finds his packed suitcase on a chair and looks around, worried.

Jeb runs downstairs, demanding, aloud, "Where is she?" He hears Peter's voice ask, where was Victoria Winters when she died?  I don't believe you! cries Jeb. I've waited a long time, Jebez Hawkes, a long, long time, says Bradford--I'll do anything to destroy you, anything!  Jeb dashes from the house and goes to Widows' Hill, calling to Carolyn, who isn't there. "But I'm here," says the whacked-out Philip, "waiting for you--he told me you'd be here when he let me out of jail." Jail? cries a scared Jeb, and tries to get by Philip, who dances in front of him, preventing him from passing and says, "No use running, Jeb, it won't do any good, tonight, you're going to stay here." They grapple, Philip trying his best to toss Jeb over the cliff.
Philip gets Jeb in a stranglehold, his head hanging down over the cold waters of the sea.  "Tonight, you're going to drown!" threatens Philip.

NOTES: The concept that they sacrificed the happiness we thought Peter and Vicki had found disgusts me. I had such hope for them! Connecting Jeb with the two of them seems ridiculous, a plot twist that makes no sense whatsoever. It made far more sense to have Paul Stoddard attempt to sabotage Jeb, but this is so far afield, even I can't comprehend or sanction it. Bad move, writers, and a cruel way to tell us Vicki's undeserved fate.

Megan is such a slutty vampire, you have to love her. Her biting Philip apparently sent him right over the edge of sanity, and he really did a great job in this performance, over the top, but delicious to watch.  Philip in this mode genuinely scares me. Peter Bradford using him was also a strange touch, but he and Philip have equal reason to despise Jeb.

Very steamy love scenes between Jeb and Carolyn, especially the one where she's fighting him off, then gives in to his kisses. I think their "love" is just strong lust, but they do make a pretty pair. She had a cut on her lip, and I wondered if he did that with his energetic smooching, or she already had it. If I were her, I would have made more of the dream than she did.  He tossed it aside too easily, but of course, he DID murder her father!

Jeb can now be killed by werewolves and/or drowning. Seems too easy--and why would a Leviathan creature, who is probably derived from the sea in the first place, be able to die that way? Makes no sense!

This was DS at its worst, pulling plots out of thin air, wrecking what we consider canon in the case of Vicki and Peter, and going on tangents that are not connected and shouldn't be. Yet, as a teen, I wanted to believe that love had changed Jeb; now, it just seems wishful, hormonal thinking on my part. I just don't buy it, and this episode was so disjointed, it ruined my semi-acceptance of the Leviathans for all time.

Love, Robin