Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0351  (Read 1153 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0351
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »
Robservations - #351

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0351

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 03:48:35 AM »
This kinescope’s quality is the best I’ve seen since joining the Watching Project. It just occurred to me that most of the nation only got to see DS in black & white if they were relying on these kinescopes. I wonder if the kinescopes were B&W forever or if the show eventually was seen in color nationwide.

Everything about Nancy Barrett’s performance is superb.

Barnabas is young looking again and Frid looks great here. He does an excellent job in his scenes with Barrett.

I’m always happy to see Louie, and I always enjoy his Roger.

Barn tries to rid himself of Julia and I am wondering if he just intends to let her walk away with all she knows. He agrees to “keep her on” temporarily, lol. I’d be a bit concerned about how I handled her, if I were Barn. Frid did well here and Hall was great as per usual.

I didn’t much like the closing scene with the tick tock of the grandfather clock, but it did lead up to a fabulous fade on Carolyn’s devotion.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »
Now restored, Barnabas looks handsomer than ever and seems even more sure of his powers.

As dom says, lots of wonderful performances in this episode. The scenes with JF and NB and those with JF and GH are terrific. JB and LE also seem to be in top form.

I think the final scene with NB in the foyer is one of the best in the show and is all the more powerful for being so understated.

This comment does seem like alphabet soup, doesn't it, with all those abbreviations!   --DL   ;)

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 12:18:02 AM »
Carolyn says she belongs in the old house and will never fail Barnabas.  She is the first victim we have seen who seems totally enthralled by him. Willie seemed to always argue and try to resist and Maggie was back and forth.  Carolyn can have eternal life.  Barnabas fears aging so ends the treatments.  I wonder why this area was never explored before.  New writers?  The plan is for Vickie all the way now.  Carolyn caressing her neck as she stares at Barnabas' picture leads one to wonder if she will become jealous of Vickie.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 05:08:03 AM »
Yes, Carolyn is much more a classic vampire victim than the others.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 04:55:30 AM »
Ironically, Willy, who had a very questionable moral center before he was bitten, always seems guilt-ridden by what Barnabas is asking him to do. Carolyn, on the other hand, who obviously had a stronger moral center before she was bitten, follows Barnabas' orders without qualm or question. Of course, Barnabas hasn't ordered Carolyn to do anything on the order of what he ordered Willy to do (i.e., kidnapping Maggie, procuring blood for him, disposing of Maggie). Perhaps that explains the difference.

Also, Carolyn doesn't seem to be afflicted with the kind of feverish, enervating sickness that Willy and Maggie were after they were bitten.

Fantastic episode with great acting all around (especially NB).