Author Topic: KLS' Holiday Gift Bonus  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
KLS' Holiday Gift Bonus
« on: November 25, 2012, 06:03:55 PM »
For the next few weeks:  http://www.kathrynleighscott.com/2012/11/14/holiday-gift-bonus/

(I'd prefer that the recent photo of herself not be on the front of the greeting card, but that's me.  [hall2_tongue])

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: KLS' Holiday Gift Bonus
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 07:09:13 PM »
(I'd prefer that the recent photo of herself not be on the front of the greeting card, but that's me.  [hall2_tongue])

never underestimate the powers of presumptuousness and self promotion that is la scott! [hall2_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:41:30 PM »
to say that she's wallpapered FB with this advertisement would be a serious understatement. [hall2_rolleyes]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
She really is incredible.  But I'm giving her extra slack this year.  I have the impression that the whole Depp Shadows affair was a fairly unpleasant episode for her to undergo.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 09:03:32 PM »
why do you say that?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:38:25 PM »
I remember unhappy blog posts from Elle-meme and some rather histrionic hand-wringing due to various incidents (connected with the movie and its release) last Spring.  Sorry I can't be more specific.  In all honesty I do not pay all that much attention to her.

At least she actually got to go over and be in it. Unlike Nancy Barrett, who I think of as much more central to the DS mythos than either KLS or LP, but never mind about that now.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 09:54:38 PM »
true.

i think the outright hostility that the film generated within the fanbase must have taken scott aback. several times she found herself on the defensive for her involvement in the whole thing. she might be experiencing some regret for hitching her wagon to the project so heavily. it was something of a misfire. and she obviously has boatloads of that darn book to unload.

frid passed away before the film's release so he was spared much of the criticism leveled at it. parker and selby did their little cameos but were not heavily involved in the promotional machine so they got off lightly. scott's decision to throw herself into it with such gusto was perhaps a mistake.

in terms of the quartet of actors who did the cameos somehow over time they've become the official bobblehead mascots of the whole things. the action figure promotional tools even though others, such as grayson hall and joan bennett and, as you say, nancy barrett, actually did more on the series as a whole.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 01:01:54 AM »
Well, we're at the point now where clearly, KLS and LP ARE the surviving cast members as far as the DS Festival is concerned.

Selby is included when his schedule permits but he actually has a career so... (did I say that with my outloud voice?).

I'm not in the income bracket they're currently catering to, so it doesn't really bother me--I'm glad I was able to meet a few of my favorites while they were still alive and attending.

G.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »
I was very amused yesterday when KLS decided to post about her holiday promo on my Facebook Johnny Depp Rocks page.  This is a page associated with my website that is devoted to Depp's musical pursuits, and really has NOTHING to do with Dark Shadows, other than the post-premiere gig he played with Alice Cooper.  I'm also not a FB friend of hers or anything like that, and while I'm on a few DS FB groups, I've only posted once or twice on any of them and am therefore just a lurker.  But she still managed to find me ;) 

Well, it's all good- I enjoyed the book and she may find a few more customers through me and the Depp connection  [hall2_smiley]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 04:49:03 PM »
My browser won't open the link. What book are we talking about?

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 05:54:09 PM »
I don't get it- why all the venom against Kathryn?  The guilty parties should be ashamed of themselves- Kathryn was merely offering a service for longtime fans.  We in DS fandom should be so lucky that the show's stars try to please their fans, unlike certain other fandoms that charge an arm and a leg for the smallest thing.  BTW, I think the new KLS photo (by legendary photographer Douglas Kirkland- who took iconic photos of Judy Garland and Marilyn Monroe) is great! 

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 06:06:54 PM »
Dom, I think her offer is for any book purchase, though I suppose I was speaking specifically about the new Return To Collinwood book.  Charles_Ellis, point taken- I don't mean my post to be venomous- I actually think KLS is quite sweet.  So I'm sorry if I was a bit mean. But she *is* rather aggressive and persistent in her salesmanship, and I guess I confess it's fun to poke fun a bit   [hall2_cheesy]  As I said, perhaps some folks on my page will be interested after seeing her post, and that's a win-win situation.  But it's just funny that she found my site, despite it not really having any real connection to DS.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 10:23:26 PM »
Thanx for answering my question. :)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 01:45:09 AM »
charles dear...

relax. there is a difference between "venom" and a bit of good natured jabbing between friends. i'm sure ms. scott is a lovely person but even you must admit she is an operator of the highest order. in my ten years as a fan i don't think i've attended a single event with her where she didn't practically vault across the table to sell me something. and judging by her homes in new york and beverly hills her salesmanship has been richly rewarded.

incidentally this offer is called in the retail world "gift with purchase". she's not just sending out greetings from the goodness of her heart. it's an enticement to buy a book. there's nothing wrong with poking a bit of fun at that.

and this is a two way relationship. yes we're "lucky" that the DS actors are so "engaged" compared to other fandoms. they however are also "lucky" that considering their primary fame derives from appearing on a chromekey soap opera nearly half a century ago they still have an active fanbase. very lucky.

ms.scott is an actress and publisher. not mother theresa. she's not above and beyond a bit of ribbing. i don't feel the need to defer to her.

stop carring on like the collinsport scold. you tried to "shame" a bunch of us last summer who didn't want to attend the scaled back fest. it's really not your place.

decidedly un-guilty and un-ashamed, m.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 04:59:12 AM »
For what it's worth several years ago I bought several autographed pictures of KLS from her website (my bedroom is decorated with autographed DS pictures and one large gorgeous B&W poster of KLS and Frid as Barnabas and Maggie in the Old House) and she sent me a bonus autographed picture and a very nice hand written letter. So I think of her as being a very nice, warm person who appreciates her fans.