Author Topic: DS mentioned on "Amazing Facts" sermon, available online  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS mentioned on "Amazing Facts" sermon, available online
« on: June 02, 2003, 06:26:07 PM »
DS was mentioned this past weekend in the nationally-broadcasted sermon of a Seventh-day Adventist preacher.  To hear an audio version of it, go to

http://www.amazingfacts.com/projects/storacle_lessons.asp

and scroll down to "The Witch of Endor", then click on Audio and open it in the Real Player format.  There's also a video version that I didn't try.

The DS mention follows question #14, which discusses what the Bible says awaits fortune tellers and witches and sorcerers ::) and which you can access directly by skipping ahead to to the final 1/5 of the recording.  The preacher (pastor Ron Batchelor) asks the audience if they remember the TV show Dark Shadows and says he grew up in NYC with a mother in show business, so they knew "that family that acted in [Dark Shadows]", went to each others' houses, and I'll let you hear for yourselves what he claims some of the actors on the show were into...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:DS mentioned on "Amazing Facts" sermon, available online
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 07:21:15 PM »
I'll let you hear for yourselves what he claims some of the actors on the show were into...

Well, who knows if this guy really ever participated in what he claims took place, but some of the actors have mentioned in a few print interviews that what he claims did actually happen at certain parties. (So it could be that he's simply repeating stuff he'd read.) But were they serious about it? Well, that's not the impression I ever took away from what I've read.

As for this guy himself, his rhetoric reminds me of a person who, along with his wife, has a national program on which he's been claiming the "End of Days" is upon us for more than 15 years already. (I haven't watched him in several years, but his show is one of the most unintentionally funny on the air that you almost can't resist tuning in.) He's repeatedly gone so far as to say exactly what year certain events are "definitely" going to take place. Funny thing about that, though - when those years come and go without his predictions ever coming to pass, he always has a convenient excuse as to why that was - in spite of the fact that he'd previously spun such elaborate scenarios as to why they were "definitely" going to take place! ::)

Heavens save us from these types. And don't even get me started on how much they hawk their own video/audio tapes that the "faithful" should be buying from them so that they can learn more "in greater detail" than can be covered on these people's programs. If you ask me, with probably little exception, many of these types are actually far worse when it comes to preying on their followers beliefs and fears than the people they preach against...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 07:31:41 PM »
Oh, I agree with everything you said, MB.  But I found it amusing that some actors may have been doing some of the same things my friends and I were doing back then at each others' houses.  And eerie things did occasionally occur, but even then we didn't believe the devil was responsible for them, and now I just feel it's absurd to even consider it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 08:12:02 PM »
But I found it amusing that some actors may have been doing some of the same things my friends and I were doing back then at each others' houses.

Oh, definitely. One of my aunts gave me a Ouija board as a Christmas gift in 1968 (just think of what a sermon one of these guys could probably spin about THAT [wink2] - my poor aunt would most probably be doomed to eternal damnation in their estimation!), and my friends and I used to play with it all the time - but most preferably on dark nights during wind swept thunder storms. [lghy] (And I'm pretty sure I still have it packed away in my basement somewhere...)

And eerie things did occasionally occur, but even then we didn't believe the devil was responsible for them, and now I just feel it's absurd to even consider it.

That whole bit of his sermon was completely unconscionable, IMO. >:( But should we have expected anything less?

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 09:40:44 PM »
Well, the devil has apparently gotten hold of their server:

"Server has reached its capacity and can serve no more streams."

Maybe a generous donation will help this important message reach more people.  [devil]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 09:53:46 PM »
Maybe a generous donation will help this important message reach more people.  [devil]

[lghy] [lghy] [lghy]

Good one! [thumb]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 10:00:33 PM »
can someone please just summarize what he claimed?

We used to have seances as a result of watching DS.  We'd get creepy feelings and stop before anything could happen!  as for the Ouija board, we played with it all the time, and got lets of messages, but never any of the scarey stuff you always hear about it.

I am afraid that Satan never thought I or my family and friends was worth bothering about!   ah well...

Goththththth

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 10:04:01 PM »
The Windows Media Player version will download. It's just the Real Player version that appears to be on the blink.

I'll let MB make the joke here about Windows and the devil.  ;D

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 10:26:41 PM »

Actually, I think Bobubas' Gates of Hell avatar says more than I could ever hope to. [wink2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2003, 10:52:40 PM »

This is from memory, Gothick-- The family that acted in DS (?) were good friends with the pastor's family and used to visit each others' houses.  Some actors from the series were very into the spirit world, and they participated in seances and used the ouija board, trying to talk to Lincoln and Kennedy, and eerie but real things happened as a result.

Speaking of eerie, the Real Player version comes up fine for me.  ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2003, 11:00:03 PM »

This is from memory, Gothick-- The family that acted in DS (?) were good friends with the pastor's family and used to visit each others' houses.  Some actors from the series were very into the spirit world, and they participated in seances and used the ouija board, trying to talk to Lincoln and Kennedy, and eerie but real things happened as a result.

But it's not so much what he says as what he implies, which is that the DS "family" (and am I the only one who doesn't think his choice of the term family was just by chance - that it's as if he's equating it with, say, something akin to the "Manson 'family'"?) were a bunch who regularly participated in rituals to contact the devil. One has to listen to the whole sermon to get his real point. And even then it's pretty ludicrous that someone could seriously believe, much less preach the sort of ideas he's putting forth regarding pyschics/spiritualism in general. ::)

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2003, 11:45:05 PM »

Actually, I think Bobubas' Gates of Hell avatar says more than I could ever hope to. [wink2]

ROTFLMAO  Well said MB ;D While on the subject of televison and devils, it's been a while since this photo of MsCriseyde has seen the light of day. :)
This would also make for an interesting avatar
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2003, 05:20:56 AM »
Try it, and watch me spread the love as various versions of the Baby Bobubas photo show up as avatars. Then again, you'd probably like that.
[firedevil]

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2003, 11:03:12 PM »
[This is from memory, Gothick-- The family that acted in DS (?) were good friends with the pastor's family and used to visit each others' houses.  Some actors from the series were very into the spirit world, and they participated in seances and used the ouija board, trying to talk to Lincoln and Kennedy, and eerie but real things happened as a result.

When I was around 15 my friend and I would use it all the time, mostly to find out about future boyfriends and such.   But this one time I had asked it where my missing earings were.  (my sister and I had had a fight and she deliberately hid them on me)   Now, my friend didn't have any idea where they were and I certainly didn't either but that thing told us exactly where they were hidden, described in detail the exact shelf, spot and cabinet they were hidden in.   Well when I got up there to check (way up on top shelf) I nearly fell off the stool because there they were!!!

After that we had asked it a simple question, "where do you come from?"  thinking it might tell us "a factory, store"  something like that,  but instead it spells out
"H-E-L-L"     We both dropped the thing off our laps and I got rid of it real fast!!

Of course being so young we had no idea about "blessing" ourselves or saying a prayer of protection before using the board, which is what you're suppose to do.  So it was like opening up a door to just about any "spirit" that was out there, good or bad.  Unfortunately, we got the latter.

Cassandra

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2003, 08:34:55 AM »
ROTFLMAO  Well said MB ;D While on the subject of televison and devils, it's been a while since this photo of MsCriseyde has seen the light of day. :)
This would also make for an interesting avatar

MsCriseyde, I love it!!  You look so adorable!!

Deb