Author Topic: DS radio commercials  (Read 888 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
DS radio commercials
« on: June 02, 2003, 03:45:42 PM »
I normally never listen to the radio, but last night had dinner with a friend in a restaurant where they had the box on, and tuned to an oldies station (which suited us just fine).  Anyhow, I nearly dropped my fork when a certain familiar musical refrain came on and I could hear an announcer advising listeners to tune into Dark Shadows, the famous supernatural soap opera, ever day Monday through Friday!  I couldn't hear well enough to tell whether this was an old commercial from the ABC days (back in the Sixties) or something Sci Fi paid them to run.  The thing is that they also ran a commercial for 60 minutes that sounded old, so I thought it might be something they do on the program.  I'm afraid this is all the info I can provide.

Has anyone else out there heard any radio commercials for the show lately?

Gothick

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:DS radio commercials
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 08:50:40 PM »
Gothick....haven't heard it, but could you tell us what locale you're in (NY, LA, etc)?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 08:59:20 PM »
Our local oldies radio station (CBS-FM in NY) will occasionally run an old ad as it played back in the 60's/70's.....but they're always spots and jingles from local stores and businesses of the time.  I don't recall ever hearing one that could be considered a "national" ad, which is what a DS ad would be, right?

And speaking of ads....has anyone ever seen any kind of ad for DS on the Sci Fi channel at some other time of the day?  We certainly see enough ads for other shows during DS, but never the other way around.....at least I never have!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 09:14:56 PM »
And speaking of ads....has anyone ever seen any kind of ad for DS on the Sci Fi channel at some other time of the day?  We certainly see enough ads for other shows during DS, but never the other way around.....at least I never have!

Between 1992 and 1997, they ran several different DS ads (one of which was avaiable for viewing in the Members' Archive, and will be again - along with some others). But I have no idea if they've run any since DS came cack in 1999 because I haven't watched anything on Sci-Fi since sometime in 1998. ;)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 09:15:47 PM »
Patti, I live in the Boston, Mass. greater urban area.  I heard this ad in a restaurant right in Somerville's Davis Square.

I really wish I had been able to hear the whole thing.  I *think* the Sci Fi channel was mentioned, but as Raineypark mentioned, I've yet to see any advertising coverage for the show, apart from the spots for the Festival they've run in some years, and those always seem to air during the show.

Worldvision could send them the old ad spots that we used to see in days gone by. During the Eighties syndication, a spot that featured a clip from 1795 with Barn vamping Millicent was used, with a stinger and the series logo coming up (if memory serves) at the end of the clip.

Gothick