Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0349  (Read 944 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0349
« on: November 23, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »
Robservations - #349

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0349

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »
Barnabas's "aged" makeup is fantastic! Of course he blames his predicament on Julia and insists that reverting is the only way to restore himself. When Vicki arrives a few minutes later, of course she isn't surprised to find "Miss" Hoffman at the Old House, but she doesn't seem to react to seeing Julia in a doctor's white coat. After Vicki leaves, Julia's sense of malice gets the better of her, and she suggests that Barnabas bite Vicki.

Carolyn is beginning to believe that all of David's stories are true, but she can't persuade Joe to help her investigate because he still thinks that Willie was the cause of all the bad stuff that happened. And of course Vicki is indignant that Barnabas could be anything but a helpful, supportive friend.

Barnabas visits Vicki while she sleeps, but he can't bring himself to bite her.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 02:20:02 AM »
I love Alexandra's opening voiceovers.

Wow, I totally agree, DL, Frid's "aged" makeup is first rate.

And yes, as per usual, Barn blames Julia, lol. I thoroughly enjoyed all the scenes between Frid & Hall in this episode. I always get a kick out of Julia's sarcasm (and malice) towards Barnabas and this episode offers plenty of it. Hall's hamming it up and I am loving every glorious second of it. I am also thoroughly digging Frid's performance. Not necessarily the line recitals per se but the way he is carrying himself as an aged Barnabas. I can't put my finger on it, but there is a subtle difference (a slight hesitance or a holding back of sorts) and I am completely taken by it. This is one of those times I'm impressed enough to want to see who wrote and directed.

Yeah, DarkLady, no surprise re: Vicki's reaction to Carolyn's thoughts on Barnabas. I might have expected Joe to placate Carolyn, but no, Joe is in soap opera male mode.

I generally loathe the 'thought' voiceovers but the two in this episode were perfect. Barn's remembrance of Julia prodding, "Vicki may never come to you of her own free will. You want her and you'd be a fool not to get her. Now. Tonight!" And Barn's thoughts as he looks at Vicki sleeping in her bed, "She's so lovely, so innocent. I can't do it. I can't!"

I am wondering if the strike is over? Things seem to be more than less back to order, namely, sound cues, lighting and cameras angles. I was really impressed with the episode as a whole.

Was this Frid's first, "NOOOO!" cry? Grayson has numerous deliciously quotable lines.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 12:37:19 AM »
The reveal of the Aged face was enjoyable and how Barnabas freaks out over the change. Barnabas says he must revert to being a vampire. I wish they had explored a little more what exactly was happening with the treatments and what effect they had.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 03:59:58 AM »
Yeah, when they talked about 'reverting' I wanted to know what was he was (doing) now. I felt the same way when Willie talked about it when Barn attacked the woman in Collinsport a little while back. Like was he eating and drinking, etc.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 05:25:05 AM »
The spell Julia cast over Vickie causing her to feel deeply uncomfortable around Barnabas doesn't seem to have lasted very long. In addition to traipsing on over to the Old House in search of Barnabas as if nothing had changed, Vicki is back to defending him against Carolyn's growing suspicions. Did the writers simply forget about the plot line they had devised a mere two episodes back? Or was it just not serving their purposes and figured the audience wouldn't either mind or notice?

In addition, even though the scene is interesting and well staged, the "I don't want to get you sick" excuse Barnabas gives Vicki really doesn't make a whole lot of sense since clearly Julia is staying with Barnabas and she even touches Vicki's hand at one point. Oh well, I may just be nitpicking here. But, on the whole, I've really liked the feel of these recent episodes.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 05:33:48 AM »
Good grief. I see I'm repeating myself from my 2007 comments.   [snow_silly] Yikes.