Author Topic: Lincoln-Slightly OT-DS Cast Members  (Read 922 times)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Lincoln-Slightly OT-DS Cast Members
« on: November 23, 2012, 05:40:42 AM »
Lincoln's sons were played by two David's-Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Gulliver McGrath. Jack Earle Haley also had a small role.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Lincoln-Slightly OT-DS Cast Members
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 12:33:11 PM »
that's very interesting...

chloe moretz and jessica chastain, who both played carolyn stoddard, worked together on 'texas killing fields' last year.

small world.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 04:52:13 AM »
A historian sheds light on JGL's and McGrath's characters in Is this 'Lincoln' the real deal?, from yesterday's LA Times:

"In the movie, Lincoln's youngest son, Tad [Gulliver McGrath], drives his pony through the White House, gets into the president's war maps and gets away with a lot of mischief. Did it really happen that way?
That was pretty much true. When [Lincoln's third son] Willie was alive, the two of them together had free rein in the White House, much to the consternation of [Lincoln's private secretaries] John Hay and John Nicolay and much to the consternation of some members of the Cabinet. Lincoln was a very indulgent father toward those two boys, but not toward his older son, Robert.

Robert Todd Lincoln is played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who's a heartthrob to many 2012 moviegoers. Was the president's eldest son actually cute?
He was pretty good looking. He did look a fair amount like the young actor who portrayed him. He had the reputation of being a little bit of a stuffed shirt. He did desperately want to get into the Army and I think for the reasons that are portrayed in the movie-- he felt his reputation would be forever smirched if he didn't. He spent most of the war at Harvard as a student. Although I'll tell you one thing that bothered me-- I thought it was out of character when Lincoln slapped Robert."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 04:34:55 PM »
I saw Lincoln yesterday, and while I enjoyed both Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Gully McGrath, I thought McGrath had the more interesting role. And from a DS perspective, it was certainly nice to see his character in Lincoln doing some of the things we should have seen David doing in the Depp/DS film - things that in all likelihood ended up on the cutting room floor. And even though it certainly wasn't a nod to DS, it was still interesting to see him play a character named Tad. Obviously only DS fans would make the association.  [snow_wink]

It's sad, though, to realize that the real Tad went on to die of a heart attack when he was only 18. So much tragedy in the family...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:54:01 PM »
I thought there was a thread here for JGL and Gulliver something (sorry, my short term memory fails me so often now) appearing in Lincoln.  I finally saw the film over the holidays with family and thought both actors were excellent in their roles.  I haven't been following JGL's career and at first I thought he was the actor, said to resemble a youthful Johnny Depp, who filmed footage of Barnabas as a teenager for the Depp/Burton production that seems to have wound up on the cutting room floor.

Gulliver/Gully (seems to be known by both the full name and the nickname) is quite the bright spirit.  One is reminded of the young Tatum O'Neal.  I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of him in the future.

G.