Author Topic: Breakneck Pacing  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Breakneck Pacing
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2003, 05:02:05 AM »
Vlad. . .you came to DS in the days of VCRs - not in the days when on Friday afternoons, after you had to meet your mom when she got out of work so you could get a ride home from school, you had to constantly pester her to get the grocery shopping done quickly so you could get home to see DS. And more often than not, I ended up missing parts if not some entire episodes. I'm quite sure I was not alone in that - and the ONLY way for us to find out what had happened was if one of our friends had seen what we'd missed.

Fortunately, when I was watching DS from 1969-1971, I rode the school bus from junior high school and was home by 3:30, so at 4:00 I was right there in front of the color TV in the living room (while my brothers and sister had to watch the portable B&W TV in the family room--I was the oldest so I got the first pick of TVs--LOL).  About 4:10, Dad came home from work (Mom didn't have a "job"--but being a "homemaker," "housewife", whatever, with 4 kids was a pretty big job in and of itself--never underestimate the challenges of being a full-time mother [or father, for that matter])--anyway, as soon as DS went off at 4:30, supper was on the table.  (Mom and Dad waited for "my show" to be over.)  I don't think I missed a single episode between June 1969 and April 2, 1971--except for a week in the summer of '70 when we went on a vacation to Canada, and a very short time--maybe a month--when my "local" ABC station (Channel 9 out of Cincinatti at that time--I was in Dayton, and the ABC channel didn't air DS) stopped airing DS sometime during the latter part of 1970 I think.  But we had what was then called an antenna rotor, I think from Channel Master--anyone else remember those?--that rotated the outside antenna, so I could turn it toward Columbus and pick up DS on Channel 6 out of Columbus.  (This was WAY before cable!)   I guess I wouldn't even remember all this if it weren't for DS.   :o

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2003, 04:07:07 PM »
Boy Brian...sure sounds like you had it good!!

Parents 'waiting' for your show to be over and your sibs not getting the TV...

Cool dude!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2003, 05:38:15 PM »
Boy Brian...sure sounds like you had it good!!

Parents 'waiting' for your show to be over and your sibs not getting the TV...

Cool dude!

Patti

LOL.  Being the first-born had its advantages back then.