Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0346  (Read 938 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0346
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:22:50 PM »
Robservations - #346

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0346

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 10:53:53 PM »
In Vicki's dream, Barnabas orders Julia to leave "because of the child." Huh?

Later, Julia's jealousy gets the better of her and she is very mean to Vicki.

I've never been able to understand why Barnabas seems shocked that the flowers are dead--didn't his undead touch kill them? If not, then what would?

Barnabas calls Julia out on her treatment of Vicki. He punishes Julia by reminding her (again) about her part in Dave Woodard's death.Barnabas's last words to Julia are positively frightening: I do not forgive.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:06:13 PM »
I enjoyed this episode very much.

MPI VHS tape Vol. 24 – The photo on the front of the sleeve is of an [spoiler]aged Barnabas;[/spoiler] A spoiler of sorts but an exciting one nonetheless. The picture quality of this episode is very good. Even the tape cartridge is great, as it is not making any peculiar noises in Play, FF or RW mode as so many of my MPI DS tapes do.

Why are all of Julia’s injectable medicinal fluids blue?

Darklady, you misheard, Barnabas told Julia to leave the room because it was chilly.

I guess Vicki’s dream is intended to be a ‘suspense psych-out’? I very much appreciated how they deliberately fashioned the dream to the events of the previous evening. I kept waiting for things to happen that never did and that made it very suspenseful for me: Is Vicki Josette? No. Is Julia gonna stop the wedding? No. Is Barn gonna bite Vicki? No. Are we gonna see what Burke Looks like? No. Will he have a trailing eyeball on his cheek? (lol) No, (thank goodness). Is Burke gonna “wake up” and warn Vicki. No.

Julia’s jealousy: Is it Josette or Woodard Julia senses? After all, they are playing her song, well, the Josette’s ghost theme that is. Maybe it’s evolved into the Josette’s room theme. I haven’t heard it since I joined the watching project and my first thought was “Josette’s ghost”. Julia senses a male presence so I guess that would be Woodard? Anyone think it could be Burke? Enter Vicki: Great scene, if only for our knowing what will be coming next when Barn “wakes” up. I laughed out loud, but in a good way. Julia gettin’ loud with Vicki – too funny! This jealous Julia didn’t feel right to me but I don’t know if it’s the unexpectedness of it or the acting.

Barn & Vicki @ Collinwood: Another great anticipatory scene. Frid was flawless in it. I couldn’t take my eyes off of him, he even looked great (I guess I like the eye makeup). Enter Julia; it doesn’t get much better than this. I waited all episode for this moment, lol. Frid is still in rare form and the whole thing works beautifully, IMO. It had everything, suspense, comic relief (well, to me anyway), buildup, climax – cut, print it! YEAH BABY!!! And Barn laying it all out for Julia, OMGoodness, I f’n loved it on ev-er-y level! I can watch it over and over again and never tire of marveling at it.

The mystery of the dead bouquet – WTF? Any guesses? I have two, either Barnabas’ touch kills things as thinks DarkLady. Or someone from ‘the other side’ is sending Vicki a warning. I really like the symbolism (I’ve attached to it) though – Barnabas the vampire destroys things of beauty. Well, something like that, I’m poetically challenged.

Frid continues his awesome performance in the Old House basement with Grayson. While the scene lacks the punch of the previous drawing room scenes it is still très fab! I love the back and forth between the two characters. It serves to lay down the foundation for future events, and for me, knowing what’s coming up actually makes this scene that much more interesting.

I totally loved Frid in this episode. He had two obvious flubs but wasn’t at all rattled by them. The actor did not skip a beat. His scenes at Collinwood are going on my ‘Best of Barnabas’ list.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 04:56:43 AM »
Vickie's dream that she is preparing to be a bride in josettes room is interesting in that it ties in with her obsession with the past and her connection with Josette and Burke who discouraged this is dead on the bed in a room steeped in the past.  Will Vickie be lost to the past?  Barnabas tells Julia he is aware of her and they re only dr. And patient. He doesn't want her jealousy to interfere.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 04:56:11 AM »
IS there a match for Julia's strolling into the drawing room only to find Barnabas and Vicki deep in conversation and blithely announcing "In walks Julia bearing flowers," not only an effective way to defuse a highly awkward situation but to comment on its very theatricality - almost as if they were in some kind of "soap opera" or something.

It was unusual to have a dream sequence without any kind of mist or distorted lense-work. It seemed so real that, later on in the episode, when Julia turned towards Josette's bed, I momentarily expected to see Burke's wrapped body lying there, until I remembered that that was part of Vicki's earlier dream.

It does seem like Carolyn should be grieving a bit more for Burke, even though Vicki is nice enough to at least extend some of her own sympathy to her. I guess because Burke was played by a different actor when the two had their scenes together and we never saw Carolyn interacting with the second one, the writers felt they could de-emphasize that part of Burke's life.