Author Topic: American Horror Story  (Read 839 times)

Offline revbillt

• View Profile
American Horror Story
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »
Has anyone been watching American Horror Story-Asylum? In the most recent episode, the evil doctor returns to the sanitarium after having been shot in the leg. He is walking with a cane and in one scene, it is the same cane used in DS.......is this a shout-out by the producers of AHS-Asylum?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: American Horror Story
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 04:54:28 PM »
I haven't been watching, but it does sound like fun.

G.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 06:25:20 PM »
I have not watched this show because I hate season cliffhangers. Did Season One end pretty much self-contained?  I know it switches locales, so I figured it might be safe to watch the first season. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »
I haven't watched the latest ep yet - something extra to look forward to.  [hall2_smiley]

As for the show itself, unless somehow things change, TPTB plan for each season to be a self-contained story with a beginning, middle, and an end. That was certainly the case with the first season. And so far as I know, that's the plan with season two.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 08:26:09 PM »
I loved the first season. Somehow I missed the first ep of the new season so I'm saving the new eps on my dvr until the premiere gets aired again.
Each season of AHS is a self contained story, so there is no "cliffhanger"; the first season was a haunted house story, while the second season is set in a mental hospital with all new characters, like an anthology series, but one season for each story. For what it's worth many of the actors from the first season return in the second season playing different characters, which is also a very Dark Shadows thing to do.
The first season is out on dvd/blu ray and probably Netflix and whatnot. I loved it, as a genuinely scary and creepy story that had lots of things to say, chock full of subtext.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 03:29:15 PM »
Thanks, Quentin!

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 04:09:22 PM »
Thanks as well, Midnite.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 05:09:35 PM »
I tried to reply to this last night, but seemed to come in in the middle of some board maintenance  [hall2_smiley]  Anyway, I did spot the cane in the episode, and I definitely think it was intentional, and very cool! 

Like the others said, each season is self-contained, with the a good number of the actors from season 1 in totally different roles this season.  I love this aspect- I agree that it's very Dark Shadows-like (even *more* so, since a lot of the DS characters were relatives of characters in a different time period).  It gives the feeling of it being like a repertory company or something, kind of like, oh, I don't know... Tim Burton with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter  [hall2_grin]

At first, I was thinking that this season is a little too busy and packed with too many crazy stories and plot points that seem unrelated.  However, as the season is developing, I am adjusting to the crazy atmosphere, and I'm reminded that this was similar to the style last season, as well- I remember thinking the show was pretty disjointed and cray-cray, but that is part of the charm and the style, and it ends up serving the story.