Author Topic: Sex in the Shadows  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Sex in the Shadows
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »
Bramwell and Catherine [spoiler]definitely got it on, at least once. And of course Catherine ends up pregnant.[/spoiler] Which, as I recall, is exactly what my parents said would happen.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 12:09:29 AM »
you're right quentincollins...

i think we were just trying to make two different points.

carry on.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 12:32:20 AM »
Dark Lady, alas I can't read the part of your post where you are responding to me.  I don't know if it's because I'm on a Mac or just what, but the whole text is blocked out in white and clicking or highlighting on it doesn't help.

It's fixed now.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 01:00:06 AM »
(edited by admin)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 04:49:39 AM »
DarkLady, please read the post above yours.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »
Thanks, Midnite!

hugs, Gothy

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 05:58:56 PM »
And BTW, everything works the same on a MAC as it does on a PC, so no one should ever have to worry about that.  [hall2_smiley]

As for sex on the show, with the exception of Laura/Burke, Barnabas/Angelique, PTAng and almost the entire male population of PTCollinsport, Yeager/Buffie, Carolyn/Jeb, Bramwell/Catherine, and of course RTQuentin and half of the world's female population, which are all situations where we know there were sexual relationships because the storylines pretty much confirm it, and with the exception of the married couples that have children (though I still say David was a product of the first experimental/successful in vitro-fertilization because Roger was too in love with himself to have sex with someone else), all the other sex is pretty much up to interpretation. Fans can present scenarios either for or against it, but there's really no way to prove either camp is completely right. And debating whether they did or didn't can be one of the more fun offshoots of watching the show.  [hall2_grin]

David

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 07:02:41 PM »
You know that Philip & Megan Todd made beautiful love!
As did Angelique and Sky until things fell apart.

And I'm SURE that Jason was Willie's leather Daddy.
I've always suspected that Prof Stokes was gay--who might he have been with?

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 11:29:13 PM »
I always kind of thought that Prof Stokes had a hot nasty affair going with Adam. That vibe is kind of all over them imo.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 12:25:45 AM »
Gerard and Leticia gave off a certain vibe that made me think that they had a past relationship. And, if this had been more of a traditional soap, David and Hallie would probably still be sneaking off to the west wing to indulge raging hormones.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 01:57:42 AM »
I thought it was hilarious how Maggie called up Joe in the middle of the night to came stay with her, and then had him sleep on the couch!  In one instance, he burst into the bedroom in a fury of passion, [spoiler]only it was Jeff Clark's bedroom, and the two sexually repressed young men wrestled around together before talking about their "dreams." [/spoiler] Strangely, even when Jeff had moved out and supposedly there was thus a spare bedroom, Joe still slept on the couch. 
[spoiler]
Perhaps Joe and Angelique or Barnabas and Charity didn't actually have traditional sex, but they took their vampiric laison to such an erotic place that it might as well have been.  [/spoiler]
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 04:01:16 AM »
I think I do remember Joe using the couch even after we knew there was an empty bedroom. That may be the evidence I was looking for that supports the theory that Maggie wasn't sleeping with Joe after all.
It is true that the vampire attacks were sexual in nature, and that's an important point. While actual "normal" sex was rare on the show, the show was actually very sensual in it's own offbeat way.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 04:16:38 AM »
i just really don't think that in 1968 the network would have permitted any of the young, female characters who were cast in the series' "heroine" roles(ie. not witches, vamps or tramps)to engage, or to even give the impression of engaging, in premarital sex.

not just yet. maybe by the early 1970's it would have been conceivable but not yet.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 02:08:32 AM »
Beth was definitely implied to be having sex with Quentin I think. I guess she wasn't in the same ingenue catagory?
Were all soaps this demure and prudish about sex in the 60s? Weren't unplanned pregnancies fairly routine even then? I've recently been watching some mid 60s episodes of Days of Our Lives, and the big story at the time had Julie's boyfriend impregnating and then marrying another girl Susan (who seems to be the good girl with Julie as the bad girl as far as I can tell), all the while promising her that he'd divorce his wife and marry her as soon as the baby was born (which was planned to be given up for adoption, and the wedded couple can't stand each other and the marriage is in name only to give the baby a name). It is interesting to see how different things are, and how repressive the "morals" and "values" were, that this poor girl is marrying a guy she doesn't even like to legimitise a baby she's giving up for adoption anyways.
Sorry if that gets a little off topic, but I found it intersting to compare DS to a more traditionsal soap of the same era.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 02:34:20 AM »
personally, no, i do not consider beth to be in the same "ingenue" category on the series as vicki and maggie who at various points in the series served as it's heroine and "moral center".

my opinion of it is that the writers went out of their way to write the two characters as "virtuous". especially vicki. but again it's just an opinion since none of it is "real".

do you want them to be sexually active for some reason? i'm not seeing your point on this. maybe they were. who knows.