Author Topic: my own private "after school special" with quentin and tracy!  (Read 681 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
my own private "after school special" with quentin and tracy!
« on: November 16, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
all of the recent chatter about NoDS must have entered my subconscious...

remember the old "after school specials" from the 1970's that usually dealt with "teen issues" like drugs and petty crimes like shoplifting? they were sort of little morality plays that aimed to dole out an important "lesson". in the ones involving drugs there was usually a scene where an authority figure, a parent or teacher, finds some sort of drugs or drug paraphernalia(like a bong or potpipe)amongst a teen's belongings(like in a locker or under a bed)and "confronts" them with the evidence in hand. in effect stages an "intervention". there are denials. followed by tears. followed by confessions and remorse and "tough love" recriminations and important lessons learned all around and a sappy ending all in under an hour with plenty of time for commercials for fruit loops.

anyways the other night i had such a dream. this time it was ME who was stashing some sort of drugs(i cannot recall what)in my room. the people who found said drugs and confronted me were none other than QUENTIN and TRACY! not david selby and kate jackson mind you. for some reason they were "in character". i tried to deny it. i flubbed for excuses. i called tracy a "nosy b*tch". but they were having none of it! i was busted!

this dream puzzles me for numerous reasons. one being i do not do drugs or even drink. so there must be some hidden meaning or subtext at play. more to the point selby and jackson are two actors from the series i've always been completely indifferent to so it's strange that they would be the ones i butt heads with in a dream world.

i never dream about the show per se but once in awhile one of the characters makes it's way into the background of whatever else i'm dreaming about. i recall one dream where carolyn and laura stood as mute witnesses in the background. but it's funny here it was so interactive and confrontational. [hall2_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: my own private "after school special" with quentin and tracy!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 11:12:54 PM »
I loved watching those things growing up.  And in honor of them is one my favorite lines from Roseanne when her daughter, Darlene, gets stuck at a rock concert with no ride back, and some punk tries to pick her up and offer her some mary-jane:

Darlene:  "Oh, god, I feel like I'm in some really bad after-school special."

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 03:58:12 PM »
michael, you needed to fix Tracy with a frigid glare and intone, "Did you EVER stop to think that perhaps you don't belong here?"

(A line Grayson/Carlotta has in the movie, in a scene with Jackson/Tracy)

I still remember a dream I had of being at Collinwood when the show was originally on.  This would have been in the late Sixties.  I remember being very happy to be there but then I started to worry whether "the vampires" would get me...

cheers, G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 04:16:45 PM »
all i know is that i was FURIOUS at both of them for invading my privacy! [hall2_angry]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.