Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0344  (Read 1068 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0344
« on: November 16, 2012, 04:42:45 PM »
Robservations - #344

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0344

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 05:59:09 PM »
B&W episode on the MPI VHS tape. DVD also?

Poor Davy, the only person to believe him dies. Liz comforts David in her mourning outfit – black dress & white pearls. His sense of despair freaks Liz out.

In David’s room, Carolyn hears Sarah’s flute. David predicts a tragedy and freaks Carolyn out.

David bids Burke a morbid farewell and freaks everybody out, including me.

Out on the patio Burke agrees that maybe the west wing offer is prudent as a reaction to David’s morose behavior earlier. Vicki’s happiness over Burke’s decision is short-lived, she hears the wailing widows and takes it as a bad omen and freaks out.

Holy crap! What an eerie episode. The wailing widows actually gave me the chills! I remember only ever having this reaction one other time in the show’s history.

I loved this episode (sans the opening scene with Sarah).

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:35:11 PM »
Very nice work by young DH in this episode, which largely revolves around him. Sarah does her best to cheer him up, but even she gets scared when Dave guesses that Dr. Woodard was murdered and leaves him alone. Even now, she won't tell on her big brother. Later, David uses her exact words in talking about Dave Woodard's death with his aunt.

Not even the fact that Carolyn says she believes David--and that they BOTH hear Sarah's flute--is enough to make him feel better. She confides in him, telling him about her (imaginary?) childhood friend Randy. They've both come a long way from the days when Carolyn referred to her cousin as the "little monster." David seems to have second sight, predicting that something terrible is going to happen--far away, but it will make a lot of people unhappy.

Later, he bids Burke a somber, fatalistic farewell, even though Burke promises to take him on another fishing trip. It’s all settled, David echoes in a monotone. No one can do anything about it. Goodbye, Burke, he says formally and goes back to his room, leaving Vicki, Burke, and Elizabeth baffled.

Later, when Burke and Vicki are on the terrace, the wind picks up, and it's clear that the widows are wailing….

A wonderfully atmospheric, spooky episode! Many more of them should have been like this. Dom, which other DS episode gave you the chills? Just curious.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 11:40:26 PM »
DarkLady, it is the ep where the ghost of Quentin laughs in victory on the landing of Collinwood's foyer [spoiler]after forcing the evacuation of Collinwood's inhabitants for refuge in the Old House.[/spoiler] I can't remember off-hand if we actually see Quentin or just hear him?

I don't remember getting the chills the first time I saw this ep (#344), maybe because I wasn't aware of future events. I really got caught up in it this time, so much so that I had to shake it off- and then of course I laughed at myself.

I wonder if I had seen it in color if I would have had the same response to it.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 01:08:49 AM »
Good choice, dom! I think we only hear him. Starting with the Quentin story, many ghosts in the Collinwood universe are either seen or heard--but almost never both at once.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 01:50:38 AM »
I remember Q standing up on the stairway balcony laughing out loud.   I think that as he gained strength, he could move around more, be more substantial, and be heard more.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 06:15:03 PM »
Here's a copy of Frid's next noteworthy letter to his mom. There's quite a bit of background info on a few subjects:

October, 13, 1967

Dear Mother:

I have a couple of days off - a chance to sleep a bit. Watched today's air show and thought it pretty dull and shoddy. For the life of me, I sometimes wonder what all the fuss is about. I thought I was plainly embarrassing - at best plainly forgettable. The goofs I was afraid to face turned out to be not as bad as my general performance. But that was today and you can't win 'em all.

Another big release went out this week to newspapers around the country - a big feature for the Sunday papers. I will send you a copy when I find one. Meanwhile, articles still keep popping up from various newspapers. The "teeny-boppers" keep comparing me to The Monkees whom I've never seen - comparing me in popularity, ie., - not in kind, I should hope.

The mail keeps mounting. I've amassed 2 to 3 thousand letters. They've gotten beyond my capacity to read them all.

As for the strike, I've just read that the engineers union who are the actual strikers have released us (AFTRA) from our obligation to support them. Meanwhile, we've read in the papers that we well be called to a hearing and charged fines. Some of the big newsmen who crossed the line are being fined up to $15,000 each. They will all be appealing, of course, and probably successfully. Bennett's picture has been in the papers as one of the ring-leaders. I suspect if she's fined at all, it will be merely a token amount on behalf of the rest of us in the cast. I still could be wrong of course. If so, I may have to sell some stocks. In any case, we won't lose our membership in the union. That could have been fatal.

I have a whole string of shows coming up starting on Monday. No let up as far as the schedule is projected. In about a month from now we're going into the past - the story of how I became a vampire. Next week, I appear looking 180 years old. (Experiments attempting to "cure" me and make me "human" take this unpredicted turn - revealing me in my true age.) They've hired "the world's top make-up artist" to do the job. Needless to say the regular make-up man is not too happy about it - so he confided in me yesterday.

Love, John

The ep that Frid referred to watching was Ep #340. I have absolutely no idea how he could have referred to it as "pretty dull."  [scratch]

I also have no idea if I have the newspaper article from October 15th's Sunday newspaper or not. I'll try to see when I get the chance. The problem is that back then I often cut any photos from newspaper articles and stored them separately from the actual text. Why I did that is anyone's guess because it's certainly not something I did in later years or would ever think of doing today. I suppose only my 11-year-old self knows what I was thinking.  [hall2_wink]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »
MB, you are a gold mine of fascinating stuff! I don't have any idea either of why JF thought 340 was "pretty dull." But it's interesting to read what he thought about the next story line and the aging makeup.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 07:26:35 PM »
Thanks for all that, MB!  I think that "For the life of me, I sometimes wonder what all the fuss is about." was self-deprecating.  It seems JF was mainly fixating on his own performance, noting any and all flaws, which a professional would do.   That's a necessary but gruelling attitude for an artist to take, who is trying to do his best.   Viewers are free to appreciate what succeeded and not require more, but he wasn't.   

A daily soap opera that was straining to be much more than that (and so hired a Shakespearean actor for it), but which still had to crank one out every day and move on, had to be galling and frustrating for an actor who is used to thinking in terms of carefully crafted productions where every detail is worked out.   Single out any individual DS episode and watch it as a play or film, and you might just notice all the frayed edges and lines that could heve been delivered better in later takes...

I knew someone else must have done that age-mask.   That's the best aging of an actor that I've ever seen.  The regular guy should have kept silent and taken notes...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 04:35:24 AM »
David is melancholy. It is apparently because no one believes him. Not sure why this time should make him melancholy when he just got angry or even before.  Carolyn reveals she knows how he feels growing up all alone with no playmates in the old mansion. More out of focus ca era work in this episode. David feels there is going to be an accident and he realizes it is the last time he will see Burke alive.  He realizes that not a soul will believe him and is resigned.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 06:02:35 AM »
Next time I get to see this, I'm sure it will mean more now that I've seen 1966 and Burke One's relationship with David.   In past viewings of Burke Two's end, I couldn't help being blase.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 05:53:09 AM »
This is easily one of my all-time favorite "Dark Shadows" episodes. The poignancy and sense of melancholy are palpable. And David Henesy delivers such a delicately beautiful and understated performance as the resigned and despairing David that it ranks up there with the best child performances I've ever seen.

I'm glad this episode exists only in black-and-white. It turns out to be the perfect medium for this unforgettable mood-piece.