Poll

Which film do you dislike less?

House of Dark Shadows
6 (46.2%)
Dark Shadows (2012)
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Poll: House of Dark Shadows, or Dark Shadows (2012)?  (Read 2453 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Poll: House of Dark Shadows, or Dark Shadows (2012)?
« on: November 15, 2012, 08:54:46 PM »
Which film do you dislike less?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

David

Re: Poll: House of Dark Shadows, or Dark Shadows (2012)?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:18:19 PM »
I enjoyed them both, though HODS is the far better of the two.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 05:45:49 AM »
I also love both of them.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 10:30:58 PM »
I haven't watched HoDS in quite a while; but I would say I prefer 2012 DS.
But....I've received my Night of Dark Shadows. I haven't watched it yet. This was not including in this poll.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:10:37 PM »
Like the others who have responded, I enjoy both films, though I don't care much for Night of Dark Shadows.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 06:23:19 PM »
Sorry, but I can never watch NoDS without laughing at Tracy's last line, Quentin, you're limping! Why are you limping?!

HoDS has some rather jolting moments but is somewhat better. I gather that it's closer to what DC  wanted for the TV show, but I'm not sure where I heard that. Good thing he didn't get his way.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »
I would not be able to make a decision - it's like apples and oranges.  Both, to me, are actually in different genres. 

Gerard

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 10:58:10 PM »
I gotta say, I'm really surprised DS12 is winning the popularity contest here, I thought for sure HoDS would win with a landslide. If I was a betting man I'd be broke.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »
Still haven't seen Depp Shadows so I can't comment.  I wonder how fair it is though, to compare two movies where one was thrown together after a couple of months of scriptwork and prep with a six week shooting schedule and a pretty small budget while the other one was filmed over--was it three, or four months?--with millions poured into it, very expensive art direction and FX, yadda yadda.

As Gerard says... apples and oranges.

H.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »
i agree that it's almost impossible to compare the two movies.

the general outline is similar but otherwise they might as well be from different planets.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »
I don't know, they're both DS films, they both deal with the ressurrection of Barrnabas, each of them depart significantly from the tone of the original series, and many fans have mixed feelings about them both, so, I thought it would be fun to take a little poll, but yeah, maybe I should have added an "undecided" option or something along those lines [ghost]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »
Still haven't seen Depp Shadows so I can't comment.  I wonder how fair it is though, to compare two movies where one was thrown together after a couple of months of scriptwork and prep with a six week shooting schedule and a pretty small budget while the other one was filmed over--was it three, or four months?--with millions poured into it, very expensive art direction and FX, yadda yadda.

Hence HoDS gets my vote.  I enjoyed Depp Shadows for what it was (It wasn't Dark Shadows), but it wasn't what it should have been given the ample resources. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 08:24:36 PM »
The split is actually pretty much what I would expect given the posts on the subject of both films.

And it could be argued and has been much more than once that hoDS isn't DS. But considering all of those topics/posts are still readily available on the forum, it would be redundant to get into it all again here.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 12:22:19 AM »
I wouldn't consider it redundant. I always enjoy reading about what people enjoy and what they don't about any incarnation of DS. Time passes, perspectives grow, insights are gained, opinions change. And there are always new ways to explore old ideas, right? That's why we're here, isn't it? [ghost]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 12:34:53 AM »
Time passes, perspectives grow, insights are gained, opinions change. And there are always new ways to explore old ideas, right? That's why we're here, isn't it? [ghost]

True.  [hall2_smiley]  Though this isn't a discussion topic about hoDS - its a poll, and we tend to like to keep poll topics narrowly focused on the poll question at hand. Discussing whether or not hoDS is DS is a broader debate better served in one of the existing topics already devoted to that subject or by starting a new topic on the subject. (Though while a new topic on the subject would be welcomed, one should really only be started if and when someone has something new to offer and not to simply rehash what has already been said. In the case of a simple rehash, it would be redundant to get into the same stuff all over again - not to mention a waste of the forum's database resources.  [hall2_wink])