Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0343  (Read 832 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0343
« on: November 15, 2012, 03:25:56 AM »
Robservations - #343

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0343

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »
This episode has a few firsts:

Welcome, Julia's basement laboratory! Though the equipment seems to run on electricity, torches in sconces provide the lighting. Perhaps Julia has gotten a portable generator. She uses tongs to lob what looks like a chunk of dry ice into a small kettle. A chair stands nearby, but seems unconnected to the apparatus even though it’s part of the equipment.

Also for what I think is the first time, Barnabas appears without his usual heavy eye makeup. Perhaps this is a result of Julia's treatments.

Julia wants to stop the experiment, but Barnabas torments her by reminding her of her part in Woodard's murder. He orders her to begin, then he picks up a chunk of dry ice with his cold, undead, bare hand and adds it to the pot.

Later, for the first time Julia sees the ghost of Dave Woodard.

The last scene is one of Julia's most painful moments. For the first time, she all but says out loud that she loves Barnabas and accepts him as he is. Talking about a supposedly hypothetical someone, Julia says, She might accept you, even love you. What good is that if I can’t accept or love myself? Barnabas replies bitterly. Julia warns him one last time, Remember, Barnabas, human beings don’t often love without destroying. Seating himself in the chair, he replies, Remember what I said earlier: I’m willing to take the chance. Begin. Julia reluctantly starts up the apparatus again and chucks more dry ice into her kettle.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »
The video quality for this episode is very good. It must be stunning on the DVD. We hear coughing off-camera. The main title theme sounds distorted on the VHS tape. Vicki's hair bow doesn't match her dress. Grayson's eyeliner -- fabulous. Re: Barnabas- along with less eye makeup as DarkLady notes, the Barnabangs look more "natural" also.

Barn once again proves he is in no short supply of hot air (his discussion with Vicki -- dear lord, spare me). Grayson gives one of her more infamous performances by the fountain, lol. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed watching most of Grayson's scenes.

This episode has some awesome writing (a lot of it poorly delivered by Frid) and I can see what MB talked about in ep's 342 discussion about Barn's accent to antihero superstardom becoming evident. I can't wait, tolerating Barn is an insufferable task.

Yeah, DarkLady, Julia's really putting it all out there. Nothing like a murder to make you lay your cards out on the table...

Julia: "You could be wrong, for the first and last time."

Barnabas: " I'm willing to take my chances."

I am eager to watch the Barn/Jules relationship develop from this point.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 02:00:36 AM »
Julia appears to be practicing a combination of black magic and junior high science to cure Barnabas and provide power to the Old House in her new Lab which is made up from various parts of the basement sets.
The big vat which she drops dry ice into looks like a cauldron. Has this been a regular treatment or something new. Julia later fumes with Jealousy over Vickie who reveals she loves Collinwood.  A hooded figure soon reaches out to Julia. It disappears before she turns around and reacts to it.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 12:57:19 AM »
That scene in the garden got a bit crowded - and comical - with eavesdroppers eavesdropping on eavesdroppers.

Julia's "No one was there" line reminded me of the cyclops scene from "The Odyssey."

By the way, was the image of Dr. Woodard supposed to disappear before Julia turned to see him or was it just a mistake in timing?

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 02:48:16 AM »
I must say that the final scene in this episode is one of the most beautifully written and acted in the entire series, overflowing with nuance, subtle suggestiveness and complex emotions. Even the way in which Barnabas is framed and shot is unique and interesting. And Frid and Hall really show that they are coming to fully inhabit the roles they're playing.

It's one of those transcendent moments when you are reminded of just what DS was capable of at its best.