Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0342  (Read 1226 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0342
« on: November 14, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »
Robservations - #342

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0342

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 08:01:09 PM »
A very busy episode for both Barnabas and Julia: Barnabas because he is flying everywhere in bat mode, eavesdropping on the investigation and people's conversations; Julia because she has to act shocked at the news of her old friend's death.

In another example of the Collinsport constabulary's fine police work, Sam and the sheriff ransack Dave's office looking for Julia's red notebook. Sheesh.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 08:36:06 PM »
This is the last appearance of both Sam Evans and Sheriff Patterson for quite a while, though David Ford will return shortly in 1795.

Anyone ever notice they removed a majority of the male characters at this point?  Even Joe & Roger will not appear as often.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »
Interesting observation, Joeytrom. Does anyone have any idea as to why most of the male characters fall off the Collins planet for a while?

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 06:22:30 AM »
Maggie's quilted maxi is atrocious but I love the vibrant splash of color it affords us, like a breath of fresh air, especially after the previous B&W kinescope and all the hot (dead) air contained therein.

There's a seven second video glitch on my VHS MPI tape (vol. 23) during the first scene. I wonder if this is in the DVD version of this episode?

Maggie & Sam discuss Woodard's death and all it's implications. Adequate scene - no complaints, no compliments.

Julia's red notebook (I so want to call it a diary) becomes the latest new character on DS soon to take on a storyline of it's own. Envision it on the cover of 16 Magazine or in the Adonis Gallery.

Burke brings up the supernatural in relation to Woodard's death. Sam's new favorite word is unearthly. Where oh where can the best sheriff Patterson be? Oh where, oh where can he be?

Nobody hears the obnoxious Barnabat outside Woodard's office window. All that frantic cork-rubbing against the wine bottle is in vain. I'd love to know what Barn the smarm is saying in bat-form. Even then he can't keep his trap shut! No doubt something along the lines of "Woe is me! Woe is me! "Don't mock my pain! Don't mock my pain!"

Vicki looks gorgeous in her (baby?) blue outfit. Was '67 the year of pastels? She brings up Burke's South American trip again as in the form of a "Thursday departure" - which in soap opera time could be three months from now. I'm over it. I'm ready for Burke to take that long trip south.

Burke's telling of Woodard's death shocks Vicki. Enter Julia and what follows is an interesting scene. It's fascinating & fun watching Julia try to deal with all the levels of complexity the situation produces. There's one essence of the scene I was especially fascinated with; Julia has her back to Burke and Vicki as she deals with the "shock" of it all. I am thinking that as long as she keeps her back to them she should be able to pull it off, but Burke positions himself in front of her -- I know, so what? I thought it was brilliant stage direction, taking the character's "safety net" away so to speak, and it happens three times I believe. And each time Julia is literally forced to face the whole ugly truth. It was like mini-climaxes within a climatic and highly suspenseful scene. I ate it up. No one's acting was particularly brilliant but overall it was a fun and totally engrossing scene. I eagerly anticipated seeing how the Julia character was going to pull off "first" hearing the news and 'I got my money's worth'. (Look that phrase up in the urban dictionary and you may never use that phrase again.)

Unfortunately, Vicki's continued discussion (minus Burke) with Julia is horribly written, and comes across as contrived. I like it nonetheless, because of how it represents Julia's frame of mind.

The best moment in this episode IMO is a portion of the last scene between Sam & Maggie. Maggie gets frantic about the still-present threat from a supernatural source (though she doesn't state it as such).

Maggie: "You know we never come right out and say it but we know that something terrible is threatening our lives. It could be in this room right this minute! Dr. Woodard knew it was true and that's why he's dead! I'll never be safe, because it's not something we can touch or find or reach...” OMGoodness, I love it! Great writing and great acting by KLS. I'll take this over the self-aggrandizing Shakespeareanesque psychobabble BS they write for the Barnabas character any day. (But I'm not bitter, lol.)

Sam gets the 'death by natural causes' phone call. Maggie wants/needs to believe the coroner's conclusion; Sam unconvincingly agrees. They, we, us, you, he, she, it and I all know better.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 06:41:43 AM »
This is the last appearance of both Sam Evans and Sheriff Patterson for quite a while, though David Ford will return shortly in 1795.

Anyone ever notice they removed a majority of the male characters at this point?  Even Joe & Roger will not appear as often.

Perhaps they are ushering in the 'Barnabas and his harem' era. Maybe at this point they realize that they have to go in an entirely new direction and they are simply undecided as to where and what direction to rewrite future storylines with a new male lead.

Or maybe being 1795 is coming up they really don't need to feature any males because there just isn't anything credible for them to do -- harkening back to the Barn & his girls 'thang'.

And my last guess is that maybe with so many teenage girls watching the show and writing fan letters they are more interested in the fan base relating to the female characters as they relate to Barnabas.

Fascinating & thought provoking subject, Joe.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 01:51:38 AM »
Did KLS make that skirt? It just screams her. I must have read that she did somewhere tht it popped into my mind the minute it came onscreen. Julia is reacting badly to the news of the death and then with great gusto at the suggestion of murder.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 07:10:48 AM »
I guess that old expression, "I'd love to be a fly on the wall," should now be changed to "I'd love to be a bat at the window." Barnabas has become quite the eavesdropper lately.

It's interesting that Sam and Maggie seem to have traded positions from where they were just a few weeks ago. Then, Sam was insisting that Maggie stay home for her own safety while Maggie kept pooh-poohing or at least minimizing the danger. Now, Sam is in the position of trying to calm Maggie's fears.

I dearly love Grayson Hall, but, really, has there ever been an actress who had more trouble hiding her characters's "guilt"? Her tics and twitches are so pronounced in these scenes that it is amazing the other characters don't pounce on her immediately as the culprit. Julia was always at her best when coolly sparring with evildoers like Nicholas Blair (nobody ever peeled off a pair of gloves as dramatically and effectively as Grayson) rather than reacting to incriminating news.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 05:50:25 PM »
Nice, Roland..I am smiling just thinking about Grayson/Julia in this scene.

My 6 years younger brother told me recently that the only thing he really remembers about Dark Shadows is Grayson/Julia and her dramatic reactions.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 10:38:26 PM »
On the DVDs, there's an interview with somebody (I wish I could remember who it was) who does an entire riff on Grayson's reaction shots. It is utterly hilarious!